Turn on thread page Beta

Radiohead watch

ReputationRep:
    I've never really got the hype surronding this band, and have never really got into them. So, show me why they are considered so good and try and convert somebody else to your following. :p:

I feel as if I am missing out on some great music the way people go on about them...so link me to videos, suggest songs, albums, playlists...anything to help me see what all the fuss is about. :teeth:

If anybody does get me to like them, then I'll try and rep you if I can and rememeber to do so, but I'm sure the feeling of helping somebody find sense with this band far outweighs the rep for you.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebqcbn0ieKU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZEpfICFkfQ

ReputationRep:

Pure win.

ReputationRep:
    Which album would you guys suggest to start off with? Is there a best of one or anything?

ReputationRep:
    listen to the albums ok computer, in rainbows and kid a if thats not enough i dont know what is.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, there's a best of, which i suppose is good if you're just starting out.

For individual albums, The Bends, OK Computer and In Rainbows pretty good for starters. Kid A is my favourite album, but it's not everyones cup of tea. Pablo Honey is underrated, but not a good starting place. Ditto Hail to the Thiefs. Amnesiac is great, but also an utter headf**k

ReputationRep:
    Electioneering
    Street Spirit
    The Bends
    Jigsaw Falling Into Place
    National Anthem

That's a pretty fair overall of Radiohead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrGumby)
    Which album would you guys suggest to start off with? Is there a best of one or anything?
    i like bends the most, theres a best of aswell released last year try and download it, if you don't like them after listening to that they you probably won't like them ever haha...

ReputationRep:
    If you like more mainstream music I'd recommend you listen to the Bends or In Rainbows first if you wanna give an album a try (go on!

There is a best of. But I don't think it's representative of the band, so I can't really recommend it.

If you listen to some more alternative stuff already start with OK Computer. Give it time, and it'll hit you.

also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq9t2FFh6LA - How to Disappear Completely (possibly my favourite song of all time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_wGLZmwZ8o - Let Down (also great)

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBsLFNcnwGM - Idioteque (great, but also completely different to the other two songs I linked.)

ReputationRep:
    They're not everyone's cup of tea, you have to be very patient with their music in my opinion. But given time and effort, there are layers of beauty within them that few other pop bands can get close to.

phil.

ReputationRep:
    You'll love Karma Police.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uYWYWPc9HU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJeebs)
    Amnesiac is great, but also an utter headf**k

Couldn't agree more. I listened to that album so many times and never got it whatsoever. Cue getting stoned at a mate's flat one night with Amnesiac on in the background, which finally made the whole album 'click' for me.

Loved it ever since.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    Electioneering
    Street Spirit
    The Bends
    Jigsaw Falling Into Place
    National Anthem

That's a pretty fair overall of Radiohead
    See, as much as i love Electioneering, never really thought it fit with the overall sound of OK Computer.

ReputationRep:
    They're intellectual without being pretentious. Their muscianship is without equal in popular music. They're constantly evolving whilst maintaining their individual aesthetic. Politically engaged yet absolutely no egotism. They're Respectful to their fans and shun the tired cliches and 'mythology' of what popular/rock/alternative music should be.

Just the most stunningly beautiful, life-affirming and heartbreaking songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdleGysNys :cute:

ReputationRep:
    Urgh, please don't get the best of. Nothing irritated me more this century than the idea of a Radiohead best of. Apart from all the fecking collector's edition releases. The albums are full and beautiful enough and the best of is frankly ****. Predictable and just horrible the way they've lumped all the singles from The Bends and OKC (and Creep :rolleyes:) together at the beginning and ugh :sad:

Get OKC and In Rainbows, then the Bends and Kid A, then Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief, then maybe Pablo Honey.

ReputationRep:
    everyone else starts here, so you might aswell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rich2606)
    everyone else starts here, so you might aswell

I had tickets for that festival :sad: I HAD TICKETS :sad: :sad: :sad:

ReputationRep:
    I was there! That was the first time I saw Radiohead!!! Reading this year will be my 5th time YEY

On the other hand, on my gap year in South America, my flight back home from Rio was 4 ****ING DAYS!!!!!! before Radiohead played Rio for the first time ever.

Oh, and on Sunday I'm seeing Thom Yorke do his first (I think :confused: ) public Eraser performance outside of charity events. YEY

Sorry about the boasting, I'm excited

(Original post by TheJeebs)
    See, as much as i love Electioneering, never really thought it fit with the overall sound of OK Computer.
    Maybe. Maybe not. But it's the best song for showing Jonny Greenwood's guitar work IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Good job thus far guys :yy: I've ordered some albums and will see how they go.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    Oh, and on Sunday I'm seeing Thom Yorke do his first (I think :confused: ) public Eraser performance outside of charity events. YEY
    Has it actually been confirmed anywhere it would be an eraser based performance? It could just be acoustic Radiohead songs, he's done performances like that before.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.