Turn on thread page Beta

Always tired and can't lose weight watch

ReputationRep:
    i have been to the doctor about this, but he just says it's my job.

i'm 20, female, and always feel tired. i can't remember the last time i felt fully awake and alert. i work as a driver, and drive around 110 miles a day. i have a regular sleeping pattern, usually in bed for 11pm (not tonight lol) and get up about 7.45am. on weekends though, when my alarm isn't set, i can easily sleep from 11pm until 12pm the next day, and even then, i still feel tired.
    i go to the gym and do lots of cardio, i eat healthy (salads etc) yet i still feel shattered.

i'm also having problems losing weight. at only 5 foot tall, i show any weight really easily, and eventhough i've been going to the gym for well over 2 months now, i'm not noticing any significant changes to my body. i'm still 9 stone 5, i still have flab, and really don't feel any better for going.

the only other contributing factor that could not be helping is that i'm on the pill, and have been for 4 years. i don't know whether that is making my body cling onto the fat, and is making me feel sluggish all the time.

any suggestions on what i could do? i plan on coming off the pill for a while when my next pack finishes to see if it makes any difference. i'm hoping so. i used to be around 8 stone, which is ideally where i want to be now, as i was nicely toned and slender. at the moment i just feel like a short blob.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    should probably be in fitness really..

what is your diet like? Plenty of Iron?

Are you eating enough? salads are all well and done, but if its not balanced (ie all food groups) then that could be an issue there.

A job where you're sitting around etc WILL make someone feel tired/sluggish, when im in lectures i feel more tired after a whole day of them, than i do doing a 12hour shift!!

ReputationRep:
    Might be able to help more in the Fitness forum, not sure, but what type of things are you eating apart from salads? If you're eating a bit crap then your digestive system can be that term "sluggish" that people seem to like. Maybe eating more fibre, drinking plenty of water should clear your body out a bit and hopefully make you feel a bit better?

Do you eat lots of sugar, and high GI foods? These can mess up your sugar levels and cause tiredness. Wholemeal carbs etc are better for maintaining blood sugar. Not sure if this is a problem as you say you're always tired, but it's something to try.

Your job probably isn't helping, sitting is tiring when you have to concentrate (driving). Can you try and keep active while doing it (safely)? Singing? I always dance in my car :p:
    I sound ridiculous here, just trying to think of things to keep you alert!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)

i'm 20, female, and always feel tired. i can't remember the last time i felt fully awake and alert. i work as a driver, and drive around 110 miles a day. i have a regular sleeping pattern, usually in bed for 11pm (not tonight lol) and get up about 7.45am. on weekends though, when my alarm isn't set, i can easily sleep from 11pm until 12pm the next day, and even then, i still feel tired.
    i go to the gym and do lots of cardio, i eat healthy (salads etc) yet i still feel shattered.

i'm also having problems losing weight. at only 5 foot tall, i show any weight really easily, and eventhough i've been going to the gym for well over 2 months now, i'm not noticing any significant changes to my body. i'm still 9 stone 5, i still have flab, and really don't feel any better for going.

the only other contributing factor that could not be helping is that i'm on the pill, and have been for 4 years. i don't know whether that is making my body cling onto the fat, and is making me feel sluggish all the time.

any suggestions on what i could do? i plan on coming off the pill for a while when my next pack finishes to see if it makes any difference. i'm hoping so. i used to be around 8 stone, which is ideally where i want to be now, as i was nicely toned and slender. at the moment i just feel like a short blob.

thanks

it could be your thyroid - hypothyroidism can cause tiredness and weight gain
    have a look at this website http://www.btf-thyroid.org/ >about the thyroid> signs and symptoms> hypothyroidism
    if you think it could be this then make an appointment with your doctor tell them what your symptoms are and mention you think it could be hypothyroidism - insist on a thyroid function blood test
    hope this is helpful and you havent got it

also just to mention that youll only have a few of the symptoms not all, weight gain and tiredness being very main ones

ReputationRep:
    I was going to say exactly the same - have your thyroid functions checked.
    Go back to the doctors (perhaps a different one - the doctor that shrugged off what you were saying sounds a bit useless).
    Suggest a blood test to rule out simple conditions which you could actually do something about.
    There are loads of possibilities - anaemia, thyroid problems, lack of B vitamins, an effect of the pill as you said, depression...
    Yours are two of the symptoms I have, and I suffer with CFS/ ME... but don't jump to conclusions without medical backing (i.e. don't self-diagnose) as it can be dangerous to convince yourself you have something you don't.
    Essentially, though, be aware it's not normal and nor does it allude to a good quality of life to feel how you do, so it's the job of doctors to do something about it even if it's just reassuring you that it's something really simple or trying to help you manage the way you feel.
    Blood test and doctors m'dear.

ReputationRep:
    What do you normally consume on a daily basis? Include breakfast lunch and dinner, any snacks and everything you drink - just a typical day....

ReputationRep:
    I can't stress the importance of a good sleep pattern. 7 hours is about the amount a lot of adults need to function properly. So in the week time it sounds like your sleep pattern is okay, but you need to be sensible at the weekend too. Granted it is nice to have a lie-in, but you should try and set your alarm maybe two hours later than you would get up on a weekday - too much sleep and you can get tired. I read somewhere that your sleep pattern goes in 90 minute cycles... so it goes through all the stages of sleep in 90 minutes and then starts again, and you need 4 or 5 of these cycles to sleep be able to function adequately in the morning. So next weekend you could try setting your alarm and getting up at a sensible time and gradually this could make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    What do you normally consume on a daily basis? Include breakfast lunch and dinner, any snacks and everything you drink - just a typical day....
    mm ok a typical day for me would be
    breakfast; porridge or cereal, maybe some fruit like an apple
    lunch: salad or sandwich, normally a ham salad or yesterday i had a tuna salad and today i had a prawn salad with wholemeal pasta
    dinner; either chicken, or some sort of meat, veggies and a potato/oven chips. though last night we had salmon on a salad and pasta bed, and tonight we are having fish fingers, a jacket and corn on the cob.
    snacks are sometimes thin chocolate bars, like erm, those really thin 20p bars, fruit, or occasionally some refreshers lol. i guess these aren't helping but still.
    on a friday we usually have a home made curry, and sometimes half a sausage sandwich (with one sausage on) in a morning.. but it's only on a friday.
    drink: i've started drinking a lot of squash. i don't particularly like the taste of water, so i only really have water when i go to the gym. i don't really drink much else, except maybe a glass of pineapple juice with dinner.. although i now know that is packed with sugar, so limit myself to one glass daily.

i'll have to look at not being so lazy on a weekend i think. i just love to sleep.

is ME genetic? my dad has ME.
    i think i might go back to the doctor and ask about thyroid problems because i've been told by a few people that it could be that. i hope not!

ReputationRep:
    Dehydration causes fatigue. It sounds to me like you're not drinking enough fluids throughout the day.

Your diet isn't really 'weightloss' friendly, considering you're still snacking on things like chocolate and sweets. Also bear in mind that squash (of the non sugar free kind) is really bad for you (your poor teeth!) and will stop you losing weight when added to the diet you already have. Basically, you're not watching what you eat and drink closely enough if you're serious about losing weight.

What are your portion sizes like? I'm guessing you live at home? do your parents plate up your dinners? do they give you similar size portions to their own?

Thyroid problems are actually quite rare - much less common than most people struggling to lose weight, think. It's always the first conclusion people jump to, when in most cases, it's a simple dietary or lifestyle issue. By all means, have an MOT (and a full blood MOT too) at the Doctors to rule out any real problems. If it comes back negative, then you'll know it's simply your lifestyle that is causing your fatigue and lack of weightloss.

In all honesty, I personally think it's your diet and lack of fluids making you feel tired. If you're not hydrating yourself enough at the gym and then drink very little at home, then I'd be very shocked if you weren't dehydrated.

go see your doctor, could be underactive thyroid.....

ReputationRep:
    Sleeping too much (ie on the weekends) can have a knock on effect and make you more tired...

Any food allergies? That can have various side effects such as fatigue and not feeling too great during the day..

But i agree with the girl above that you probably need more fluids too.

ReputationRep:
    you might have narcolepsy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Dehydration causes fatigue. It sounds to me like you're not drinking enough fluids throughout the day.

Your diet isn't really 'weightloss' friendly, considering you're still snacking on things like chocolate and sweets. Also bear in mind that squash (of the non sugar free kind) is really bad for you (your poor teeth!) and will stop you losing weight when added to the diet you already have. Basically, you're not watching what you eat and drink closely enough if you're serious about losing weight.

What are your portion sizes like? I'm guessing you live at home? do your parents plate up your dinners? do they give you similar size portions to their own?

Thyroid problems are actually quite rare - much less common than most people struggling to lose weight, think. It's always the first conclusion people jump to, when in most cases, it's a simple dietary or lifestyle issue. By all means, have an MOT (and a full blood MOT too) at the Doctors to rule out any real problems. If it comes back negative, then you'll know it's simply your lifestyle that is causing your fatigue and lack of weightloss.

In all honesty, I personally think it's your diet and lack of fluids making you feel tired. If you're not hydrating yourself enough at the gym and then drink very little at home, then I'd be very shocked if you weren't dehydrated.

i really want to buy sugar free squash, but i can't for the life of me find any. do you know where i could find some? i don't particularly have it strong anyway, and water makes me want to puke when it's not got anything in it, so i don't know what else to drink. - i have some no added sugar squash, so it only has all natural sugars in it, which has like, 3 calories, and some other which is normal, which has 40 cals in it... can i go for no added sugar stuff then?
    the only problem with drinking so much is that i have to go to the toilet literally every hour, which is a problem when i'm a driver and don't have anywhere to stop.
    i live with my fiance. we are both trying to lose weight. we don't have huge portions, but they aren't child size either.
    aand as for the chocolate, it's not a huge amount. it equates to about 3 cadbury squares... meh ok no chocolate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)

thanks
    wats ure diet like as this is key! make sure you have enough carbs and dnt completely cut them out as there your bodies main energy source. also the timing of your meals throughout the day is key? are you having breakfast? and if your looking to cut carbs to aid weightloss makesure you have a decent amount in your bfast n dnt eat ne after 8! common misconception is to give them a wide birth and avoid any crash diet!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.