Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

the official tsr '10 best books of the decade' thread. Watch

ReputationRep:
    :o: similar threads have been started in the music and film section. as with those, i ask only for your opinions - this time on the ten best books of the decade. i know there are six months left, and for example pynchon's 'inherent vice' isn't out yet, but it is arguable that a classic doesn't materialise itself immediately.

the rules are easy. vote for ten books. they needn't be novels, they can be non fiction on history, economics, politics, anything.

the ten most popular choices will then be counted - for purposes, more than anything else, of procrastination - and from there the ten most popular books will be placed in a poll on a seperate thread. the winner of that thread is officially tsr's favourite noughties novel.

you don't have to list/ mention ten novels, though this will give more room for your opinion.

twilight will probably win, though it'll be interesting to see who comes second.!.

happy voting!

ReputationRep:
    11 hours and no posts? Aw. I'll vote...although come to think of it, most of my favourite books were written at least 50 years ago.

Atonement by Ian McEwan. I was going to name at least five more books, but then I realised that they were all published in the 90s. Obviously I need to read more modern novels.

ReputationRep:
    Twilight will not win. >.>
    I really want to say The Notebook, but I think that was published in 1999. So instead, I'll vote the Harry Potter books (love them or hate them, you can't deny what they've become), The Book Thief and maybe The Time Traveller's Wife..

ReputationRep:
    i'd second the harry potter books, because most of my favourite, again, were written earlier this century..

you should change it to '10 best books of the century'

i liked the secret life of bees by sue monk kidd and crocodile soup by julia darling (r.i.p)

ReputationRep:
    Harry Potter either as a trilogy or as the third and sixth

The notebook

Princess Diaries Meg Cabot

His dark materials, Philip Pullman or the amber spyglass and subtle knife

ReputationRep:
    I'd quite like to know what makes this thread "Official". Is it sanctioned by Acumen?

ReputationRep:
    'A short history of nearly everything' by Bill Bryson. I don't know if this is just a fiction thread, but to me it's the best book, it made me (even more) interested in science in general, as it put everything into prespective, and gave at least a short explanation on how everything around us works.
    If it is just fiction I'd say 'The Odd Thomas Series' by Dean Koontz.
    Ohh, I love reading. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Damn.. can't vote for Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit or the Silmarillion :hmmm:

Okkies...

J.R.R Tolkien:
    The Children of Húrin (published in 2007)
    The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún (published 2009)

Manda Scott:
    Boudica: Dreaming the Eagle
    Boudica: Dreaming the Bull
    Boudica: Dreaming the Hound
    Boudica: Dreaming the Serpent Spear

Harry Sidebottom:
    Warrior of Rome part 1: Fire in the East

Tim Severin:
    Viking: Odinn's Child
    Viking: Sworn Brother
    Viking: King's Man

That was hard. Well not the Manda Scott or Tolkien put picking just 4 out of the rest of the amazing books I've read was hard....

(And yes... that has just happened. A self-confessed Twihard did not vote for Twilight :mmm: )

Oh can we have negative votes? Because Atonement is the worst book I have EVER read. It is complete and utter crap :stomp:

ReputationRep:
    Harry Potter 6, Storm of Swords (George R R Martin), The Secret History (Donna Tartt), Shadow of the Wind (Carlos Ruiz Zafon), I also second Atonement, and I'll throw in The Lies of Locke Lamora (Scott Lynch), not that anyone's heard of it... :emo:

Anything but goddamn Twilight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farmboy_Pip)

you should change it to '10 best books of the century'
    I think you'll find this decade actually includes all the years in this century so far...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by talhauddin007)
    I think you'll find this decade actually includes all the years in this century so far...
    oops.. it's still too early for my brain to be awake.

'best books of the 20th century' :yep:

ReputationRep:
    A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini is very good.

By 'books' do you mean novels?

ReputationRep:
    I'd have to say the Harry Potter books too and though i'm not too keen on the Twilight books, Stephenie Meyer's other novel The Host is really quite good.
    Ermm trying to fill some more places...The Raging Quiet by Sheryl Jordan is pretty amazing!

ReputationRep:
    The Time Traveller's Wife

Of course. (And I read Twilight - enjoyed it - but it doesn't touch the sides of TTW).

ReputationRep:
    in before harry potter!

...dam too late

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by over 9000!)
    in before harry potter!

...dam too late
    No you weren't.

Too late myself!

ReputationRep:
    I second Time Travellers Wife, its just epic.

My Sister's Keeper

Twilight - it had to be in there

Harry Potter 7

Atonement

Birdsong (not sure when published)

The Kiterunner (again unsure of publication date)

Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic Series - because Chick lit HAS to be in there somewhere

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

Angels and Demons - Dan Brown

Edit: These are in no particular order, I love them all

ReputationRep:
    best book of the decade has to be:
    *drum roll please*......................... ................................ .
    RANI & SUKH

ReputationRep:
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy

No Country for Old Men - Cormac McCarthy

ReputationRep:
    angels and demons, and the da vinci code, also odd thomas by dean koontz

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.