Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you believe that women truely have freedom/equality in this world? watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok many people may not like my thoughts and opinions but i have come to this slight realisation..

As we all know that muslim women wear headscarfs right? and some/most people in non muslim countries believe that muslim women are oppressed because they are covering up their bodies and hair but to me this is not the case.

I think that muslim women to an extent have more freedom then non muslims because (wait for it..) when you think about it carefully us women all over the world are oppressed by beauty and what the media tells us of how we "should" look. A muslim woman wears the headscarf so that males can see her inner beauty without judging her outer beauty.

We are constantly being told that certain celebrities are "too fat" or "too skinny" and what clothes we should be wearing, the latest cosmetic surgery, latest make-up and what is "in" or out. so to that extent women do not have freedom.

Also we are constantly being objectified by men who call women hot or not. It just seems like in this world if you do not have that bikini body or if you cannot even fit into nice clothes then you are ostracised and if you do have a bikini body and make a small mistake on the looks department you are still ostracised...

I know women can vote and have a freedom of speech, but it seems like the world is teaching females that you cannot get by in the world if you do not look good.

So..Do you truely believe this is freedom? (oh and sorry for the long post)

Discuss please

ReputationRep:
    Re: The Burkha: Having to hide yourself from men isn't freedom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadly Lightshade)
    You don't HAVE to wear the Burkha in Islam.

You don't HAVE to do anything that you do not want to in Islam. If you choose to follow it then so be it, if not then you don't.

In response to the OP. No one is free we are all restricted to some extent by social boundaries. We have all been socially conditioned to some extent and therefore will never be truely free. ( A tad extreme yes :p: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starsdream2)
    You don't HAVE to wear the Burkha in Islam.

You don't HAVE to do anything that you do not want to in Islam. If you choose to follow it then so be it, if not then you don't.

In response to the OP. No one is free we are all restricted to some extent by social boundaries. We have all been socially conditioned to some extent and therefore will never be truely free. ( A tad extreme yes :p: )
    That's not what I meant.

The OP portrayed the burkha as freedom from being judged by your looks alone. My point is that covering up your physical assets to gain freedom is no freedom at all.

ReputationRep:
    err...thats wen you cover everything and look like a ninja. I am talking about HEADSCARF

All the muslim girls i know wear headscarfs because they want to.

My point is muslim women do not have the pressures of beauty compared to non muslim women.
    Us non muslims are mostly judged by our looks at first sight not out personalities. You will even find this in the work place.
    There are statistics that thinner and better looking women are more likely to get promoted even if they are not the best candidates for the job

ReputationRep:
    That's not what I meant.

The OP portrayed the burkha as freedom from being judged by your looks alone. My point is that covering up your physical assets to gain freedom is no freedom at all.
    I never said burka i said HEADSCARF!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pina.Love)
    I never said burka i said HEADSCARF!
    Ah, sorry. My mistake.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Errr.. so why aren't men required to wear head scarves? Surely they deserve to be judged on their inner beauty instead of their outer beauty, too?

ReputationRep:
    Attractiveness determines (to some extent) the success of people of both genders, though I agree that women suffer from this more. Using your logic you could argue that no one is free (which we aren't totally, I suppose).

ReputationRep:
    There are statistics that thinner and better looking women are more likely to get promoted even if they are not the best candidates for the job

From where did you get these statistics?
    And can we see them?

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8147329.stm

:facepalm:

Also...can men wear headscarves?

ReputationRep:
    Don't complain, you can do whatever you like (in the kitchen).

ReputationRep:
    That's not what I meant.

Not for you.
    Not for me either.
    But for some it is freedom.

ReputationRep:
    do you believe that this incredibly deep and contoversital topic can be answered on an internet forum?

I believe in most of the western world women have the freedom to do as they please, though i wont deny that prejudice occurs. Though i know a Muslim and she wears a headscarf because she wants to, she only started wearing it a few years ago. I admire her courage to make such a proud declaration of her faith.

ReputationRep:
    Even in western societies there are cultural taboos imposed on women, to a greater extent than on men. For example a woman that sleeps with lots of men is labelled a ****, but a man is called a stud.

ReputationRep:
    Women have freedom, but we don't have equality. They're two different things.

ReputationRep:
    err...thats wen you cover everything and look like a ninja. I am talking about HEADSCARF

All the muslim girls i know wear headscarfs because they want to.

My point is muslim women do not have the pressures of beauty compared to non muslim women.
    Us non muslims are mostly judged by our looks at first sight not out personalities. You will even find this in the work place.
    The freedom from being judged by looks comes from wearing modest or less flattering clothing. To gain that freedom, we are giving up our right to dress or look a certain way. It's a loss of freedom either way: men don't forsake their sex appeal to earn respect.

[In British society, it would be safe to say that women in headscarves are often judged by the fact that they're wearing a headscarf, before their personality.]

ReputationRep:
    It's not just the middle east that has lax attitudes to womens' rights. In russia last week, a judge threw out a case of sexual harassment saying that "a certain amount of sexual harassment is necessary for a woman to advance in the work place". It was the 2nd case to make it to court in 15 years, probably a sign that complaints are systematically stifled. Then you've got the fact that women earn less than men doing the same job, only recently got the vote and just aren't on an equal plinth to men in the same society. Some of this is due to the male- female dynamic of human nature, but an awful lot is down to culturally obselete mandates that have no business existing in the modern world. It's a shame, but eventually it'll get better. A bit later than i'd like but there will be a time when man and woman are only physical descriptions, with no connotations attached.

I'm a guy btw.

ReputationRep:
    I kinda agree with you but they cover themselves cuz islam tells them and most of them hate it

Sometimes its not religion its culture

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    Errr.. so why aren't men required to wear head scarves? Surely they deserve to be judged on their inner beauty instead of their outer beauty, too?
    "Apparently", women have the ability to seduce/mess with men's brains easily.
    If a woman's wearing a tight, short dress - men will be whistling, making comments and so on.
    If a man's walking topless - acceptable and not too many reactions, specially not from women.

I sincerely doubt it's an "inner-beauty" thing, the Islamic society just wants to 'protect' women from getting raped/harmed by men. Men are strong and capable of anything, while women are vulnerable and weaker. "Apparently". :curious:

That's my whole idea of why head scarves exist from the first place. So no, I don't think women will be truly free if/when we're living in fear.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.