Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you believe that women truely have freedom/equality in this world? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've always known that 'perfect beauty' is unnobtainable, so although I read women's magazines, I really couldn't care less.
    If a guy looks at me and decides 'not', as you say, OP, then why on God's earth should I give a toss?

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, women in third world countries doesn't have the same status or recognition of women in developed countries. I have witnessed this as I lived for most of my life in a third world country. The reasons why women in these countries are oppressed are because of tradition and "social norm" of the country. For example, men have the upperhand in most underdeveloped countries but here in UK (or any other developing countries) women and men are equal (even sometimes women have the stronger voice in the family). I think these countries haven't developed and grown out of their unfair traditions and culture. However, we cannot tell these countries to change their way of living as most countries in the thirld world are religious and therefore sticks with their own tradition ways plus not letting western cilization influence their culture.

ReputationRep:
    I think women are free, but ultimately if someone choose to base their life around what they look like it's their own problem. I think that's why alot of work dries up for actresses, alot of them define themselves by the way they look, so when that goes, so does the work.

ReputationRep:
    What I find wierd is the perception of freedom and womens libs. Women in the west generally tend to believe they are free have better rights and generally more liberated than the opressed women in the muslim world. Whilst women in the muslim world generelly seem to think they are free and have more liberty and its the women int he west who arent oppressed. In short wherever women are they seem to think they have the better deal and others are opressed so maybe judging by our standards isnt correct. But maybe a society where people arent judged on their looks (although and ur gonna hate me maybe we judge people for not wanting to be judged on thier looks, ever thought about that TSR humour) and I can see the merits of that society and this will prevail of course if a modest sense of dress is adopted by both genders

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rhyus)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8147329.stm

:facepalm:

Also...can men wear headscarves?
    then wat is this?

ReputationRep:
    I think oppression is a personal thing. You are as oppressed as you let yourself be. Religion in itself doesn’t oppress women (although this is debatable); it’s more culture that says women should act/dress etc a certain way and people's individual interpretation of religion. For e.g. Islam doesn’t specifically say Muslims shouldn’t drink alcohol, it says that one should not eat/drink to the point that our minds are altered, hence people say that alcohol is prohibited. Humans are social creatures and naturally will make social norms and values, but it is up to the individual to choose their way of life, despite what others say/think etc.

ReputationRep:
    On a different note, I don't think women truely have freedom until they can walk home at night alone, or at any other time of the day, without the fear of rape or assault. That's one thing I feel really strongly about and it makes me really angry.

ReputationRep:
    What's to stop any of those arguments applying to men, too?

ReputationRep:
    Silly post.

Freedom is something that you either have or you don't have.. when your uncounscious makes decisions seconds before your conscious mind, when there is a compulsory law to follow, when you're brought up with a sense of custom and duty at the risk of being shunned by your own culture, when you have natural instincts you're bound to follow.. then no, you are not free.. be you woman or otherwise. Everyone is enslaved in some way or other.

In regard to head scarves.. they're voluntary aren't they?
    They seem a bit similar to jewish caps/ yamulchas, which are used to remind the guys that god is above them.. women wear head scarves for the same purpose in synagogue. Maybe it's just a respect thing. Whatever it is, it is a symbol and symbols are given individual meaning by the person that interacts with it [i.e the woman that wears the headscarf].

ReputationRep:
    If you are very ugly you can walk at night alone, because anybody assault you!!!!!

(Original post by Deadly Lightshade)
    That's not what I meant.

The OP portrayed the burkha as freedom from being judged by your looks alone. My point is that covering up your physical assets to gain freedom is no freedom at all.
    But maybe it is the closest thing some people will get?

ReputationRep:
    Seriously WHO CARES? Care about your own problems? You guys complain too much.

If they want to wear headscarf let them do so, thats called freedom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordi1714)
    If you are very ugly you can walk at night alone, because anybody assault you!!!!!
    10/10 for making absolutely no sense.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is with people saying "I know a Muslim girl and she wears a headscarf because she wants to" is that you are taking her "choice" out of the context of her faith. To what extent can anyone's choice be detached from the surroundings that created them? The issue really with burkas is that it is difficult to determine where they are being adopted by women ostensibly out of "choice" but really because that is just the kind of repressive, misogynistic society they have been brought up into.

Of course, you could analyse in depth the factors behind every "decision" that any of us makes, and you'd probably come to the conclusion that no one truly has freedom. Everyone's decisions are determined by their context.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cultivated)
    "Apparently", women have the ability to seduce/mess with men's brains easily.
    If a woman's wearing a tight, short dress - men will be whistling, making comments and so on.
    If a man's walking topless - acceptable and not too many reactions, specially not from women.

I sincerely doubt it's an "inner-beauty" thing, the Islamic society just wants to 'protect' women from getting raped/harmed by men. Men are strong and capable of anything, while women are vulnerable and weaker. "Apparently". :curious:

That's my whole idea of why head scarves exist from the first place. So no, I don't think women will be truly free if/when we're living in fear.
    Yea inner beauty is part of the reason why women wear headscarfs.
    But think about it. Who would live in more fear of rape..? a woman wearing a headscarf and modestly covered up or a woman wearing attractive clothes, such as a short or knee length skirt or wear a top that shows a bit or a lot of cleavage?
    Which would men be more physically attracted to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadly Lightshade)
    Re: The Burkha: Having to hide yourself from men isn't freedom.
    It certainly is, when you're the one who chooses to do so.

ReputationRep:
    No, but neither do men.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah and this Burkha stuff is no argument at all; that is a choice of the women who wear it. It would be removing their freedom to remove that choice. Anyone who is in favour of such a law is an utter hypocrite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)
    Oh yeah and this Burkha stuff is no argument at all; that is a choice of the women who wear it. It would be removing their freedom to remove that choice. Anyone who is in favour of such a law is an utter hypocrite.
    by choice you mean they will get punished if they dont wear it? riggghhhttt

I do what the hell I like. So some women clearly do have freedom. Obviously not all, but then not all humans do either. Stop singling women out. :hmmm:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.