(Original post by tom//)
    by choice you mean they will get punished if they dont wear it? riggghhhttt
    Sometimes killed too. :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elsa_89)
    Sometimes killed too. :sadnod:
    but yeah man its totally their choice

ReputationRep:
    No, because while styles of clothes and fashion may be "in", and everyone might want you to have a perfect bikini body, nobody is forcing you to follow any of the fashions. You're free to choose whether you want to be confined or not.
    So thar you go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    by choice you mean they will get punished if they dont wear it? riggghhhttt
    A Muslim woman in the UK will get punished if they don't wear it?

Right...................

:rolleyes:

Besides, if that was the case, banning it would simply mean every woman who was previously wearing it would be punished..

(Original post by tom//)
    but yeah man its totally their choice
    Yep: wear it or die. They're definitely the ones with freedom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)
    A Muslim woman in the UK will get punished if they don't wear it?

Right...................

:rolleyes:

Besides, if that was the case, banning it would simply mean every woman who was previously wearing it would be punished..
    maybe i wasnt talking about the government alone :dunce:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    maybe i wasnt talking about the government alone :dunce:
    Oh.. if you weren't talking about the UK then yeah... But in this country, of course it is their choice.

ReputationRep:
    Oh.. if you weren't talking about the UK then yeah... But in this country, of course it is their choice.
    no not really, their family can still put them under that kind of pressure to wear it, and punish them if they dont

ReputationRep:
    Do you believe that anyone truly has freedom in this world?

ReputationRep:
    Being a woman pretty much sucks, no matter what culture you're in. Whether you're fat and ugly or thin and beautiful, muslim or non-muslim and no matter what we wear we're pretty much screwed. Most of us have freedom of choice but we can't ever be freed from the pressure and expectations of the male-orientated societies we will live in, whether that be to cover ourselves up for the sake of 'feminine modesty' or to retain a 'bikini body' at any cost.

On the plus side we're doing better on the whole than all the women before us.

ReputationRep:
    ah free will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    no not really, their family can still put them under that kind of pressure to wear it, and punish them if they dont
    Then they can leave their family. Unless they gain more from being with them and wearing a Burkha than otherwise, in which case it is their choice... Everybody makes sacrifices. My dad would 'punish' me if I didn't help out around the house, but that doesn't mean me helping out around the house should be banned by the government.

ReputationRep:
    Then they can leave their family. Unless they gain more from being with them and wearing a Burkha than otherwise, in which case it is their choice... Everybody makes sacrifices. My dad would 'punish' me if I didn't help out around the house, but that doesn't mean me helping out around the house should be banned by the government.
    oh please

"leave their family" you a few would be killed if they did that?

no, that analogy doesnt work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    oh please

"leave their family" you a few would be killed if they did that?

no, that analogy doesnt work
    You're saying that Muslim men (in a family in which a Burkha is worn - take as read) in the UK would all murder their wives if they left their families? Are you kidding? Why do you talk about an entire religion as if they are mindless animals?

ReputationRep:
    You're saying that Muslim men in the UK would all murder their wives if the left their families? Are you kidding? Why do you talk about an entire religion as if they are mindless animals?
    wtf are you talking about?

"a few" doesnt mean all muslim men will murder their wives if they leave them

jesus christ, are you being serious?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    wtf are you talking about?

"a few" doesnt mean all muslim men will murder their wives if they leave them

jesus christ, are you being serious?
    Are you? A few English parents would kill their children if they left home - the psychos. That doesn't mean the children don't have a choice.

Again, you seem to think that a large proportion of Muslim men in the UK are murderers. Unbelievable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    It certainly is, when you're the one who chooses to do so.
    That post could have been worded more moderately.

The OP suggested that covering up gives you more freedom as it allows you to be judged by personality/intelligence above looks. My point is that having to limit what you wear to gain that freedom is a trade-off. Women who cover themselves are not freer than those who don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rhyus)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8147329.stm

:facepalm:

Also...can men wear headscarves?

(: no men cant wear headscarves since generally a womens hair is very pretty --cant say that for men can you ?

But men must dress modestly too :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScillyRose)
    Do you believe that anyone truly has freedom in this world?

freedom of thoughts -not actions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elsa_89)
    Yep: wear it or die. They're definitely the ones with freedom.
    wear it or die??? wth how stupid how do u know its an issue of death ?
    do you know anyone who has died for removing there headscarf ... its an issue of personal choice that is mostly influenced by your community just like anything else
    dont jump to conclusions and be prejudice

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.