Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else a fan?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.

Well...I have Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence through to Black Clouds and Silver Linings. I enjoy their music very much.

Only got "Black Clouds..", but yeah, they're pretty good. I'd like to get some of their other stuff but I don't know what's good or not. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Yes =)
    I saw them live last year and they were brilliant!
    I love the Scenes from a Memory album

ReputationRep:
    Scenes Of A Memory is absolutely amazing. The best concept album i've ever heard. The rest of their stuff is also amazing, definitelty one of my favourite bands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TuckingFypo™)
    Only got "Black Clouds..", but yeah, they're pretty good. I'd like to get some of their other stuff but I don't know what's good or not. :ninja:
    If you like Black Clouds, then you should probably like Systematic Chaos, which features similar displays of unbelievably epic riffage

(Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    If you like Black Clouds, then you should probably like Systematic Chaos, which features similar displays of unbelievably epic riffage
    Nice one. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Train of thought is the best for unbelievable riffage and if you like very, very, very heavy music. Systematic Chaos is awesome if you liked that, and it's got "Ministry of Lost Souls," which to me really stands out as their all time best song. The new album, "Black Clouds.." is more of an all round album that proves that they're getting better as they get older.

They are pretty much a band of epic proportions. What have they recorded, is it eight or nine albums? Plus more when you include EP and live releases? Out of all of them, only "Falling Into Infinity" isn't that good - a lot of people put it down as one of their best, but I find it hard to get into. Apart from that, it would leave anybody hard pressed to find a band with more talent.

SFAM is, like other people have said, one of the best concept albums of all time. If you only even remotely enjoy this type of music (or even not at all!) then pick it up, because it probably kills anything else you've ever heard.

ReputationRep:
    10 albums with the new one I think. Live Scenes from New York is pretty good though LaBrie's voice isn't on great form.

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who loves them. Personally, I think they're good - only thing is their songs are too long for me, and it feels as though they just drag on and get a bit boring. They're really talented, and have awesome riffs, but in my opinion, I'd prefer it if they used some editing in their songs. I'm not asking for crappy 4 minute songs, 10 minutes is good enough for me

ReputationRep:
    Dream Theater are one of my all-time favourite groups :love:
    currently listening to an iTunes Genius playlist based on Metropolis Pt 1: The Miracle And The Sleeper

Have all their studio albums, am missing a few bootlegs and live albums. Favourite is Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From A Memory or Train of Thought, least favourites are Falling Into Infinity and When Dream And Day Unite. All the members of the group are incredible musicians, but it would have been great to see how James LaBrie's voice would have fared if he hadn't ripped his vocal chords in the mid 90s (probably a contributing factor in Falling Into Infinity being a bit crap).

Favourite song by them? Octavarium. F*cking epic.

ReputationRep:
    Not a fan of their latest album

ReputationRep:
    Agree, BC&SL could have been so much better. The Count Of Tuscany is awesome (in a really cheesy sort of way) though

ReputationRep:
    Scenes From A Memory is their best album imo. Best song would go to Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence - just one of the best progessive suites ever.

I've only really became a true fan in recent months and i've listened to every album up to Octavarium. Simply a stunning band with musicians who know how to play their instruments.

ReputationRep:
    i dont like the metal crap

BUT
    i heard the covers they did of some queen songs

they did tenement funster

and the solo was magic!

so i think they should sing more than all the shouty stuff?

anyone else heard the queen covers???

message me!!

ReputationRep:
    For me, Dream Theater are the perfect example of why technical mastery of your instruments does not always lead to enjoyable music.

ReputationRep:
    I've not really listened to their last two (three?) albums, basically since they switched labels. I was a big DT fan a few years ago though and saw them live (great show in Wolverhampton), so I wouldn't turn down a chance to see them again if it came up.

ReputationRep:
    Right, i know these guys are a talented bunch, which is a rare sight in metal today imo. I've listened to a few of their songs before and though a couple were good, a couple bad. Bottom line is i don't like screaming in songs and the typical metal vocals if you get what i mean? Any instrumentals i should check out or songs with good vocals in? Or albums for that matter? Once again please do not recommend me something with too much screaming in, i really do not like it when tracks come down to that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benmh92)
    Right, i know these guys are a talented bunch, which is a rare sight in metal today imo. I've listened to a few of their songs before and though a couple were good, a couple bad. Bottom line is i don't like screaming in songs and the typical metal vocals if you get what i mean? Any instrumentals i should check out or songs with good vocals in? Or albums for that matter? Once again please do not recommend me something with too much screaming in, i really do not like it when tracks come down to that.
    Instrumentals:
    The Ytse Jam
    The Dance Of Eternity
    Erotomania
    Hell's Kitchen
    Stream Of Consciousness(More of a metal instrumental)

Songs(These are some of my faves. Others will have theirs.):
    Misunderstood
    Panic Attack
    Pull Me Under
    Metropolis Part 1
    Peruvian Skies
    Hollow Years
    The Spirit Carries On

ReputationRep:
    Cheer mate, will check them out

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.