Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My best friend at university is male. We're home for the holidays at the moment and are very regularly texting/Facebooking/chatting in general, I normally talk to him (at least on Facebook) for a couple of hours a day when I'm not going out. Loads of people think that we fancy each other, but we genuinely don't. Or so I thought....

There's this girl, who he's mentioned a couple of times and he definitely used to be seeing and now I think he is again. I've seen some of her posts on his facebook and photos of them and stuff and it's pretty clear they're very coupley. I don't want to ask him about it in case it makes me look like I DO fancy him and I AM jealous. But the thing is, yeah, I'm quite jealous. It's not like I want to be her, or such. But I would just much prefer to be friends with him if he didn't have a girlfriend, when it comes down to it. I know this is immature but it's my primitive instinct and I'm not going to deny it. She's also been making some side *****y comments on his Facebook about how much me and him talk. I don't know her at all, never met her so can't follow her up on it either.

Any advice.....?

ReputationRep:
    Jealousy could stem from you not liking the fact you're sharing your best friend's attention. It's not a particularly good feeling.

And she just sees you as a threat. Revel in it. It's a compliment in disguise.

ReputationRep:
    Darling, I think you do.

She sounds rather jealous of you though, I must say.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with OiaB. You're used to being his closest female friend, and someone else is threatening that. It's natural to be jealous but I think you are jealous of losing your standing with him as "best friend" rather than jealous because you fancy him. I'm the same with one of my guy mates, I don't fancy him but I like the fact that I'm important to him, and when he talks about girls he likes, I have to make sure that I'm still coming out on top of them. Hmm, bunny boiler there.
    I don't think it's worth bringing up with your friend yet. And surely he would tell you, in your position as "best friend" if there was about to be something happening with this girl?

ReputationRep:
    This other girl feels threatened by you. :yep:

bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gibb~)
    This other girl feels threatened by you. :yep:
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, but really, just ask how things are between him and her, If you know him as well as you say you do, you should know what to hear in return? Is he private, and therefore you are going to get a one word answer? Or will he just chat friendly to you about it..

If people did the same to me, anyone that knows me a fair bit, or comes across friendly, I will talk to about stuff, and how things are going with my OH, but if not, it would be a bread and butter "great thanks" and leave it at that, there's really no harm in asking.

ReputationRep:
    been in the exact same positionas you....except that the other girl was my best friend too, as well as the guy.....
    the pair of us bugged him so much....especially before the farewell prom....that he was forced to declare very loudly in public that he thought both of us were great, and we were both his best friends, but he didnt fancy either of us. He ended up going to the prom/with bot of us (i dont know which)....
    both of us (girls) then went on to declare very emphatically that neither of us had ever fancied him either.......
    we're all still great friends...

I've gone off the point....havent I......
    but what I meant is.......maybe he has other girly friends......some guys tend to get on way better with girls than guys, and hence all their really close friends are girls. Such guys also tend not to have too many girlfriends...
    What I also meant was that girls often do react in this way......so u should chill out

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.