Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hit me at 30, and there's an 80% chance I'll live... Watch

ReputationRep:
    To everyone who wants to know what this is:

1) It is called the MAN Takraf RB293 bucket wheel excavator and it is based in Germany.

Here's a pic of it at work.

2) It is the largest land based vehicle in human history - it is far, far larger than the NASA Space Shuttle mobile launch pads.

3) From the bottom of the tracks to the top of the towers it is 310 feet tall 94.5 metres). That's approximately height of ten houses.

4) From the front of the bucket to the end of the rear trailing carriage it is 722 feet long (220 metres). Approximately the length of 30 double decker buses.

5) It weighs in at 14,196 tonnes....

6) It took 5 years to assemble and cost over £50 million.

There you go, some interesting tidbits. There is another shovel built by the same company under the guise of Krupp Bagger 288 which was completed in 1978, which is taller and longer than the RB but weighs less.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant. I can **** around at 30mph outside a school. Chances are they'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    The advert would be more useful if it said:

"Hit me at 40mph, and there's an 80% chance I will die."
    "Avoid me at 40mph because you have good awareness, and there's a 100% chance I will live."

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only person who sees this advert as some form of sick invitation to hit children at 30? :confused:

"Hit me at 30...it'll probably be okay"

ReputationRep:
    Also, the statistics will have been created by driving cars into crash test dummies at different speeds and measuring the impacts on different areas of the body. The dummy would then be analysed to form correlations between impacts on it and damage to the human body to find out whether it would have been a fatal collision or not. Physics doesn't come in to it, as there are far too many variables to consider before being able to accurately work out the chance of fatality, though it is ultimately the root cause.

ReputationRep:
    Just tell the kids to run 10mph away from the oncoming car, that way when it hits at 40mph it will be like 30mph.

Right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A is for Awesome)
    Just tell the kids to run 10mph away from the oncoming car, that way when it hits at 40mph it will be like 30mph.

Right?
    Right. :thumbsup:

Russel Howard made fun of this on Mock the Week:

"Hit me at 30 miles per hour and there's an 80% chance I'll live.
    Hit me at 40 miles per hour and there's an 80% chance I'll die.
    Please stop trying to hit me..."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaw)
    they also shows that 90% of statistics are made up on the spot

100% of statistics are wrong....argh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHEM1STRY)
    But the equation is wrong, Kinetic Energy = 1/2 x m x v2
    Fair, thanks for reminding me (it's been a while). I think of energy in terms of A pillar deformity and bonnet dents now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)
    "Avoid me at 40mph because you have good awareness, and there's a 100% chance I will live."
    On the subject of statistics, I read somewhere that ~80% of drivers consider themselves better than average...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    On the subject of statistics, I read somewhere that ~80% of drivers consider themselves better than average...
    Which has nothing to do with this topic.

ReputationRep:
    Which has nothing to do with this topic.
    So what does 'good awareness' have to do with it?

Fact of the matter is that driving at 30 rather than 40 in a residential area (or indeed anywhere for that matter) means that you should have better awareness, better car control, more reaction time and, if after that you do hit someone or something, a lower energy impact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    So what does 'good awareness' have to do with it?

Fact of the matter is that driving at 30 rather than 40 in a residential area (or indeed anywhere for that matter) means that you should have
    1. better awareness
    2. better car control
    3. more reaction time
    4. a lower energy impact.
    1. Going slower does not in any way mean better awareness. The two are not related.

2. Yes, you can turn and stop faster.

3. Your reaction time, again, has absolutely nothing to do with your speed; it is a constant.

4. If you hit something without having slowed down at all, then yes...

I was simply saying that a better slogan would be telling people to have better awareness, rather than telling people to drive at 30mph all the time. A driver who isn't alert to things changing around him is far more of a problem than an alert driver going 10mph faster. That's what I was saying. I'm not saying that driving at 40 on average doesn't cause a greater risk of an incident than driving at 30, clearly. What was your point?

ReputationRep:
    1. Going slower does not in any way mean better awareness. The two are not related.
    I'm not sure. I think that as you speed up, most drivers, focus narrows and they loose peripheral awareness - whether that's a factor at 40 I couldn't begin to guess though.

3. Your reaction time, again, has absolutely nothing to do with your speed; it is a constant.
    Forgive me, what I meant to say was, of course, reaction distance.

I was simply saying that a better slogan would be telling people to have better awareness, rather than telling people to drive at 30mph all the time. A driver who isn't alert to things changing around him is far more of a problem than an alert driver going 10mph faster. That's what I was saying. I'm not saying that driving at 40 on average doesn't cause a greater risk of an incident than driving at 30, clearly. What was your point?
    Yer, you're clearly right. But in terms of a message that the general public at large (half of whom are below average drivers ) can understand and implement - follow the speed limit and drive at 30 is probably a bit better than 'it's okay to go faster than the speed limit, if you can maintain situational awareness'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I'm not sure. I think that as you speed up, most drivers, focus narrows and they loose peripheral awareness - whether that's a factor at 40 I couldn't begin to guess though.

Forgive me, what I meant to say was, of course, reaction distance.

Yer, you're clearly right. But in terms of a message that the general public at large (half of whom are below average drivers ) can understand and implement - follow the speed limit and drive at 30 is probably a bit better than 'it's okay to go faster than the speed limit, if you can maintain situational awareness'.
    Fair deuce. I just think that the message is far too oversimplified; is it also telling us to only travel at 30mph on motorways? or in 20mph limits? Ok, admittedly it is just a scare tactic to make people who drive at 40 in 30 limits to think "oh **** I better stick to the speed limit", but as a general message it's gibberish really. Having better awareness applies to all situations and would have a far greater impact on casualty rates, though, as you say, it's just too hard to make a difference to it. My original response was really just saying that if you are a good driver (most people aren't), then you shouldn't be hitting anyone full stop.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.