Turn on thread page Beta

How to strengthen Triceps!? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I would like to know the best machines and exercises to do to increase the strength of triceps at gym.

I know benching helps but I can only bench between 35-40kg at the moment which ive been told is rubbish for a 17year-old?

Much help and advice appreciated.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    press-ups
    Tricep extension
    Military press
    Kickback

ReputationRep:
    Dips

ReputationRep:
    close grip bench I find is best. Not sure if you were referring to normal or close in your OP

ReputationRep:
    Tricep kickbacks are good if your just starting working on your triceps.

Dips are good if you've been working your triceps for a while.

ReputationRep:
    Fix your form and fix your bodyweight. Both are probably piss poor if you're struggling with 40 kg. At least bench a plate before you worry about assistance exercises. Wasting time with any of the above just wouldn't be good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    At least bench a plate before you worry about assistance exercises.
    I have heard this benching/squatting/deadlifting/leg pressing x-many plates so many times but I still don't get how much is that universal plate that everybody is talking about? My gym has a whole range of plates with different weights but what is this magical plate that keeps getting referred to?

ReputationRep:
    You are only as strong as your weakest link, I think its probably a lot of truth in the idea that a persons maximum lift is possibly hindered by their smaller muscles groups, e.g. arms on the bench. I certainly know thats the case with me, my triceps tire first on benching, and my forearms go first when doing chins. A lot of people find this too, which is why some people actually do db flys before their bench.

By plate I think he means the 20kg plates.

I think varying your workout can help. as said, try doing dips, and tricep dips which are essentially the same thing but with your triceps taking a larger brunt of the movement

ReputationRep:
    1 Plate = 60kg (1 x 20kg plate on each end of the 20kg barbell).
    2 Plate = 100kg (2 x 20kg plates on each end " " " " )

ReputationRep:
    Add Diamond push ups to your workout.

ReputationRep:
    close grip barbell benching - good overall mass builder for triceps.

ReputationRep:
    Tricep strengh is something I do have a lot of, and my recomendations for a guy your age are this.

Find someone who knows correct bech technique - learn from them

Find out what you strugle to achive 6 reps with on the bench.

Do this for 5sets of 5 reps and gradualy progress

do the same with an overhead press.

Until that is sorted i wouldn't fuss with too much else, but for info the best tricep power builders I have listed below (assuming the above two are included)

Board Press
    Floor Press
    Close Grip Bench Press
    Skull Crushers

Chains, bands, excessive speed or pauses can be added to mix it up but you really don't need too much if you nail your benching correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Tricep strengh is something I do have a lot of, and my recomendations for a guy your age are this.

Until that is sorted i wouldn't fuss with too much else, but for info the best tricep power builders I have listed below (assuming the above two are included)

Board Press
    Floor Press
    Close Grip Bench Press
    Skull Crushers

Chains, bands, excessive speed or pauses can be added to mix it up but you really don't need too much if you nail your benching correctly.
    How do you rate rack lockouts?

ReputationRep:

Board Press
    Floor Press
    Close Grip Bench Press
    Skull Crushers

The TICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    How do you rate rack lockouts?
    Never been arsed with them, board press does the same thing really. However if you prefer them to board press I don't see there being much harm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    The TICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SPOOOOOOOOOOOOON

ReputationRep:
    SPOOOOOOOOOOOOON
    I ******* grew up on that ****!!!

EDIT: Sigh... swear filter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I f***ing grew up on that sh**!!!
    Same as, I got the box set about 6 months back and keep watching it, i forgot about some of the characters though, like

"The evil midnight bomber what bombs at midnight"

ReputationRep:
    Same as, I got the box set about 6 months back and keep watching it, i forgot about some of the characters though, like

"The evil midnight bomber what bombs at midnight"
    I used to watch those on Saturday morning cartoons back in the States; did they play them here?

I had some of the comics (which came out first). F***ing classic stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I used to watch those on Saturday morning cartoons back in the States; did they play them here?

I had some of the comics (which came out first). F***ing classic stuff.
    Yeah they played them, I think it was about 12 or so years ago. Fantastic stuff!

I got a few of the comics from a nostalgia shop, they are funny as fook. Classic cult comedy.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.