Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Looking to the future so no urgency really, but would still like a bit of feedback if you would please.

I'm starting my undergrad in Oct at NTU.

I was planning on doing Foreign Languages with History. I originally thought this, because my flatmate is doing straight history at the same uni and we could help each other out a bit.

However, I feel that's the wrong reason to pursue a course in all honesty. And therefore I'm thinking of dropping the history and picking up another foreign language, which I feel I would be much more interested in and would be open up a lot of opportunities.

Recent life changes have left me with both the opportunity and desire to stay in academia until I've milked it for all it's worth, ie postgrad Ma and doctorate.

But I was wondering - what kind of MA could I be expected to do in Foreign Languages? Looking on their (NTU's) course finder, they have no MAs in Languages at all. What would happen if I wished to stay on there? Do I do a research MA that is specific to Languages? I would preferably like to stay at NTU or one of the nearby (East Midlands, so Derby/Leics/Notts) unis for my postgrad.

Would you guys with far more knowledge and experience please give a guiding hand? As I said, long way off so no urgency but always like to have plans a little firmer in my head for my own peace of mind

All the best, yours confused.

Gaz

ReputationRep:
    Please don't even think about postgrad for another 3 years, thanks .

ReputationRep:
    You don't even know if you'll like undergraduate study yet - it's very different to school, and postgraduate study is even more different to undergraduate study. So I'd hold your horses if I were you, particularly since your motivation sounds rather dubious :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    You don't even know if you'll like undergraduate study yet - it's very different to school, and postgraduate study is even more different to undergraduate study. So I'd hold your horses if I were you, particularly since your motivation sounds rather dubious :/
    With all due respect, please don't assume I'm a kid and please don't assume anything about my motivations.

If you must know, I'm older than you and have been working in different jobs for a few years since leaving school after A-levels. And after finishing my Access course I KNOW that going back to academia is right for me. So yes, I will like undergraduate study. Study refreshes me and challenges me and beats actual, boring work any day of the week.

And as for my motivation - I originally wanted to go to university and continue into postgrad. But I got married and had a wife to support. I finally had the chance to do an Access course this year to enable me to go back to university - under the proviso that I leave after my undergrad degree in order to support my wife.

However, due to unfortunate circumstances out of my control, my wife is no longer here, therefore there are no constraints to my continuing onto doing post grad study.

Now what I was NOT asking is whether I should or should not continue onto post grad study, nor was I asking anyone to question me on my ability or motivation. What I WAS asking about was what my options are.

Sorry if the post sounds a little harsh. Hopefully now I've told you a little more of the situation you will know that I'm not just a naive or un-motivated kid and that I'm after sound advice so I can have a rough plan for the future.

If you would like to enlighten me a little as to what PG options there are available for modern foreign languages, please feel free, I'd be very grateful indeed.

All the best.

Gaz

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough - just letting you know that postgrad is very different to undergrad, even if you already know that undergrad is different to pre-university education (in terms of style as well as the difficulty of study). I'm sorry to hear of the change in your circumstances; however, you can't really accuse us of jumping down your throat when you gave no indication in your original post that you weren't a fresh-faced 18-year-old straight out of school.

If it helps, as you can probably see from my sig, it's fairly easy to change disciplines from undergraduate to postgraduate as long as you can prove that you have the necessary knowledge, interest and skills. However, I also changed universities. If you were wanting to stay at the same one and they didn't offer the same subject at postgrad level, you'd be best off looking into similar, related subjects, as there's no reason why you wouldn't have the same shot at it as anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Fair enough - just letting you know that postgrad is very different to undergrad, even if you already know that undergrad is different to pre-university education (in terms of style as well as the difficulty of study). I'm sorry to hear of the change in your circumstances; however, you can't really accuse us of jumping down your throat when you gave no indication in your original post that you weren't a fresh-faced 18-year-old straight out of school.

If it helps, as you can probably see from my sig, it's fairly easy to change disciplines from undergraduate to postgraduate as long as you can prove that you have the necessary knowledge, interest and skills. However, I also changed universities. If you were wanting to stay at the same one and they didn't offer the same subject at postgrad level, you'd be best off looking into similar, related subjects, as there's no reason why you wouldn't have the same shot at it as anyone else.
    Sorry I didn't give much indication otherwise in my original post.

And your advice is very helpful, thankyou! I didn't realise that you could change disciplines somewhat from under- to post-grad, that's a little bit of a relief.

Thanks again.

All the best.

Gaz

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.