Turn on thread page Beta

Beckham could have stopped Iraq Invasion watch

ReputationRep:
    says Jon McClure:

"If David Beckham had of spoken out about Iraq it wouldn't have happened, I honestly believe that hand on heart, or Britain certainly wouldn't have got involved."

"Beckham's cultural gravitas was as such in that period that if he'd have gone 'I don't want this war in Iraq, it's an awful thing, we should not do it', it wouldn't have happened, the public would've gone mad against it. But because he kept his gob shut, and everybody else did, it happened, we sleepwalked our way there."

Perhaps Beckham should be Prime Minister if we would follow his every word. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    The public went mad against it anyway, did John McLure miss the massive (most massive?) protests against it? We were going to war whether we liked it or not, the people already did not support this decision so Beckham's intervention would have done little. We were tied to going to war and the politicians showed they weren't going to be swayed by the demos.

ReputationRep:
    Beckham doesn't know a thing about politics so I'd rather he kept his grid shut

ReputationRep:
    Beckham cant even tie his shoes nevermind run a country!

:rofl: Beckham at the g8 Summit "errr Victoria wheres my cookies?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bennn)
    This :p:

ReputationRep:
    France and Germany were famously against the Iraq war.

I don't know who this Jon McClure guy is, but the fact that he values the opinion of David Beckham above theirs means he should really keep his 'grid' shut as well.

ReputationRep:
    All he knows is holiday, and kicking the ball... surely people will just mock him if he said anything about politics

ReputationRep:
    You have to remember that nearly all of TSR is smarter than most of the tabloid consuming British public.

ReputationRep:
    Or at least, they think they are.

And heres a facepalm moment from Jon McClure.

But either way we would go to war whether we liked it or not because lets face it whether we want to admit it or not our government is Americas *****.

ReputationRep:
    Jon McClure is wrong

/thread

ReputationRep:
    John McClure...?

ReputationRep:
    Beckham > Bush

ReputationRep:
    That's brilliant, I quite like Beckham and what he does for football but some people are just idiots (That John Fella and Beckham are definately included)

Ronaldo is also going to donate his entire weekly wages to charity and save the planet. Because someone says it must mean it's true :yep:

Gotta love the tabloids :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    What a plonker lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
    The public went mad against it anyway, did John McLure miss the massive (most massive?) protests against it? We were going to war whether we liked it or not, the people already did not support this decision so Beckham's intervention would have done little. We were tied to going to war and the politicians showed they weren't going to be swayed by the demos.
    Um, at the START of the war, public opinion was actually in favour of it, it was only until after we got bogged down fighting an insurgency did public opinion change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bennn)
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as governments decide to go to war or not, and not the people, McLure is wrong. Wrong, I tells ya, wrong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweet by and by)
    Beckham cant even tie his shoes nevermind run a country!
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    It would just be wrong if Beckham started talking about politics..

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.