Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you take guitar lessons from me? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 16 and I've been playing guitar for 6 years now. I got my grade 8 a few months ago and now I want to make some money teaching guitar because, and I'm sure I don't need to tell you lot, jobs are scarce!

I already teach my Dad's friend but I'd like to do more. I'm considering putting an ad in the local news agents, but I'm not sure how many people would want a 16 year old who they don't know as a guitar teacher...

So I guess the question is; would you take guitar lessons from me for £10 an hour or £5 for half an hour?

ReputationRep:
    Put out an ad and you'll soon find out, no harm in trying .

ReputationRep:
    Yeah considering I get charged £15 per half hour!
    I think people would prefer a young teacher compared to an oldie anyway.
    As long as they know your not a pedo, which I'm sure your not

ReputationRep:
    Well you have grade 8 so your good enough to teach most people, and your pricing seems good. I'd just say that maybe you'd have to work a bit on your teaching methods, as being a great player doesn't make you a great teacher.

Age shouldnt come into it but act professional and it wont at all. You might as well put the ad in you have nothing to lose.

Congrats on grade 8 by the way . I'm working on Grade 6, but I've only been playing 5 years lol

ReputationRep:
    No. I don't want guitar lessons.

</pointless post>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JemSevenV)
    I'm 16 and I've been playing guitar for 6 years now. I got my grade 8 a few months ago and now I want to make some money teaching guitar because, and I'm sure I don't need to tell you lot, jobs are scarce!

I already teach my Dad's friend but I'd like to do more. I'm considering putting an ad in the local news agents, but I'm not sure how many people would want a 16 year old who they don't know as a guitar teacher...

So I guess the question is; would you take guitar lessons from me for £10 an hour or £5 for half an hour?
    Go for it, problem is people may see you as stylistically sticking to one style (because you are young) which may put people off your teaching.
    Not saying that will happen, but I would personally see a younger teacher such as yourself as playing mainly rock/metal music (But I personally know you have done your Grade 8 so you muct be pretty good)

Maybe put video's of you playing music on youtube and put the link in your advert?

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I'd like it personally - someone your own age, maybe you can relate to them when teaching them. It's like in school, when, say, you're stuck on a problem, and you have one of those **** teachers who can't teach, and you ask your friend for help and they explain it in a language you can understand.

I reckon if you advertise you've got a grade 8, talented musician bla bla bla, along with 5 or £10 an hour I'd definitely like to take lessons, so I say go for it! Just remember to try and come across as friendly, and I reckon you'll do pretty good. Remember it is the recession though - I personally am just self teaching myself because I really can't afford a guitar teacher atm, so don't expect a sudden rush of people on their knees asking for your lessons :p:

ReputationRep:
    No, cos you're an internet random. :p:

Seriously though, I think that's too cheap, I think you should say £10 for half an hour and £17.50 for an hour? Plus if you have to get a bus or something to get to their house (unless they come to you) then whatever your transport costs are.

Just don't mention your age in the advert, base it on your qualifications instead.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.