Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, My curls after I have tonged them dont hold !

What can I do??

ReputationRep:
    Hairspray? Wax?
    I've got shockwaves curling wax which holds pretty well.

ReputationRep:
    Hair spray? Or, when you curl each strand, pin the curled strand to your head. wait a few seconds and then unpin it, and it should technically hold longer.

ReputationRep:
    My hairs the same, the only way I've found it to work is with really strong hairspray but then they go that horrible crispy feeling It's not so bad if the curls aren't in my face though.

If you do try it, personally I think cheap hairspray does the best job at holding it!

ReputationRep:
    Dry your hair naturall before hand then curl your hair? I found that if I blowdry my hair straight then curl it, it doesnt stay in very long.
    Maybe use a shampoo for curly hair too to try and give it a head start?
    On and if you wash your hair then put your hair into 2 bunches at the side like the lady fom star trek and let it ddru it goes curly and looks really natural and lovely

ReputationRep:
    My territory! I've been curling my hair (sponge curls) for 2 years now. Hair of medium length (to the shoulders) will take around 5-6 hours to curl properly into a tight curl. When you take them out, make sure that you give it a good pull so that the curls actually "jump off". I use NuNile pommade for the top (where the hair is flat), along with Taft Volumiser gel to really get the smooth effect. And the curls don't stay you say? Well, go to a place where they sell professional hair products and look for : "Keune Shaping Hairspray Super - Hold 19 factor ". It costs about 7 euros for a can and lasts a good 2-3 weeks (depending on how much you use). You can also try using bobby pins to keep your curls intact. In fact, I can keep my hair style for up to 48 hours if I do it properly. The best way to use hair spray is to stretch out the curl with one hand, spray in several places along the length and backcomb it delicately (with comb of a wide tooth). Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackey)
    My territory! I've been curling my hair (sponge curls) for 2 years now. Hair of medium length (to the shoulders) will take around 5-6 hours to curl properly into a tight curl. When you take them out, make sure that you give it a good pull so that the curls actually "jump off". I use NuNile pommade for the top (where the hair is flat), along with Taft Volumiser gel to really get the smooth effect. And the curls don't stay you say? Well, go to a place where they sell professional hair products and look for : "Keune Shaping Hairspray Super - Hold 19 factor ". It costs about 7 euros for a can and lasts a good 2-3 weeks (depending on how much you use). You can also try using bobby pins to keep your curls intact. In fact, I can keep my hair style for up to 48 hours if I do it properly. The best way to use hair spray is to stretch out the curl with one hand, spray in several places along the length and backcomb it delicately (with comb of a wide tooth). Good luck!
    I have long hair. Its so annoying i see people with long hair curl their hair fine.

The curls get weighed down by product so they look strectched out.

What are sponge curls?

I use curling tongs.

My layers are getting longer?

I am so frustrated!

ReputationRep:
    That's the issue with products available for the so called regular consumer. You pay at least 4-5 euros for a hair spray of strength 5 which doesn't hold the hair and only makes it unpleasant for the touch. I've tried every consumer hairspray, volumiser and god knows what else. It's convenient to buy them, of course, but you end up pissed off as it doesn't do what you want it to.
    Oh and I meant sponge curlers, it was late when I typed it.

I think the issue for you is that you have layered hair, which would make it near impossible to use this type of curlers. If you're willing to try them you'll have to grow out the layers and get a straight cut at the back (or a cut that allows you to grab strands of hair that go around the sponge).
    The problem with most curling tongs is that they don't condition the hair to remain curled for a long period of time. They're more convenient as you don't have to sleep with any curlers at night (which is what I do).
    You could consider getting a perm - but it's a well known fact that it damages the hair. Remember that a perm will give you a "wilder" curl unless you continue using curlers to control them.
    I feel you there, it's a daily dilemma for me too!

ReputationRep:
    dont wash your hair the day you curl it.

If you use tongs after you've curled a section, pin it to you head (like in a ring, I dont know how to explain that..) until youve done all of your hair then when you take it out the hair should be cool.

ReputationRep:
    when i tong my hair, i then twist the curls and pin them to my head until they're cool. mine last 2 days that way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweet by and by)
    Dry your hair naturall before hand then curl your hair? I found that if I blowdry my hair straight then curl it, it doesnt stay in very long.
    Maybe use a shampoo for curly hair too to try and give it a head start?
    On and if you wash your hair then put your hair into 2 bunches at the side like the lady fom star trek and let it ddru it goes curly and looks really natural and lovely
    lol! thanks for making me laugh today... It's been a bad day!

ReputationRep:
    shockwaves curling moose works

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem! I usually use curling tongs and hairspray, looks great for a couple of hours but it always straight again by the end of the night. Have bought some bendy rollers, gonna give those a try tonight.

ReputationRep:
    That's a good sign, shows your hair is healthy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrs_bellamy)
    I have the same problem! I usually use curling tongs and hairspray, looks great for a couple of hours but it always straight again by the end of the night. Have bought some bendy rollers, gonna give those a try tonight.
    Let me know how it goes, i was planning to invest in some bendy rollers!

ReputationRep:
    Cheap hairspray.. I second that..
    Spray the strand before you curl it. Then curl. Then spray a tiny bit again. Then in you want a big spray at the end over all your hair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chez87)
    Let me know how it goes, i was planning to invest in some bendy rollers!
    OK so I tried the bendy rollers last night and slept in them, were quite comfortable to sleep in (especially compared to heated curlers I had when I was younger!). Curls have come out quite nice, will let you know how long they last!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrs_bellamy)
    OK so I tried the bendy rollers last night and slept in them, were quite comfortable to sleep in (especially compared to heated curlers I had when I was younger!). Curls have come out quite nice, will let you know how long they last!
    thanks for the update! Were they easy to put in? and u put them in when your hair is wet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chez87)
    thanks for the update! Were they easy to put in? and u put them in when your hair is wet?
    Yeah they were really quick to put it, less that it takes to curl with tongs. I washed my hair, put in a bit of mouse and then put them in while my hair was wet. Took them out at 7 this morning and still curly! Barely dropped at all. Worked sooooo much better than tongs, they usually only last 3-4 hours on my hair when I use curling tongs.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.