Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've been talking to one of my friends from school; he says he's got this teacher that's great... she knows all sorts of styles, lessons are cheap and long, and she's a great teacher, you get the point. Anywho, the friend is either never on facebook to reply to me, or he's just taking a ridiculously long time to figure out her number/address. And knowing him, it's going to be a good while longer until I get the information.

So my question is: Because summer's dying fast, and come school year I'm not going to have time to just jump into something new, where do you guys recommend for online lessons 'til my buddy comes through?

Side notes: I used to play the piano (quit 8 years ago when I was like 7). I already kinda play some other instruments, thus have the fingering abilities and basic music theory so I don't need to have a teacher right next to me from the beginning necessarily (for anyone that's thinking I should just wait until there's a legitimate teacher to teach me basic techniques/how to read music).

So any ideas = helpful.

try youtube. theres bound to be plenty of lessons there.

edit: dear god, the choices!

ReputationRep:
    Why do you need online lessons? Why can't you just get a piano tutorial book and teach yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Why do you need online lessons? Why can't you just get a piano tutorial book and teach yourself?
    any specific suggestions? i'm more afraid of getting something that looks like it's my level, then getting home and finding out it's above me. or worse, it's more basic that it originally appeared to be. then i have an extra book that I don't need and i'm out $10+. And I assume that online is going to have beginner-advanced all in one place. that way I don't have to spend money every time i feel i need to move up a level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anick14)
    any specific suggestions? i'm more afraid of getting something that looks like it's my level, then getting home and finding out it's above me. or worse, it's more basic that it originally appeared to be. then i have an extra book that I don't need and i'm out $10+. And I assume that online is going to have beginner-advanced all in one place. that way I don't have to spend money every time i feel i need to move up a level.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Progressive-...7530602&sr=8-9

It's very good :yes:

Don't you have a music shop in your town that you could visit and browse some of their books?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Progressive-...7530602&sr=8-9

It's very good :yes:

Don't you have a music shop in your town that you could visit and browse some of their books?
    there's a Border's book shop a few miles away which kinda has stuff, but nothing specific. otherwise, not for a solid 17 miles really. I really hope I can move to some sort of legitimate town after high school, because where I am, there's nowhere to go other than a few restaurants and a Best Buy.

Thanks for the suggestion, it looks good i might actually do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Learn the viola instead.
    Bad idea, you will never in your life find an orchestral part worth playing.

Start with a real teacher or you'll screw yourself up enough in ten weeks to take ten months to sort out. You have to learn the right technique from the start or it just doesn't work. I started on the violin with bad technique and literally years later I had my teacher asking me if that was *really* what my old teacher told me to do.

ReputationRep:
    The best site is zebrakeys. I used this.
    http://www.zebrakeys.com/lessons/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    Bad idea, you will never in your life find an orchestral part worth playing.
    okay...
    1) Your sig is borderline cruel, my hand hurts, do you have no sense of empathy?? no, i lie, i loved it.

2) it's not that they're not worth playing... you're just never going to run across a viola or something sitting out when you go to a bar. but anywhere you go you'll find a guitar or piano.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pacman23)
    The best site is zebrakeys. I used this.
    http://www.zebrakeys.com/lessons/
    Try this

ReputationRep:
    Dewey did that in Malcolm in the Middle and become immense.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.