Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey ive got an offer from bham uni for economcis its my firm, manchester is insurance

however im thinking of taking a gap year and applying to lse management sciences.

in the future i wana go into investment banking or stock broking or something like that.

in terms of top firms would lse management sciences be better.

Yes, but IB is far from impossible with an economics degree from Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    why is that so u think there are more chances with LSE management scinces

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maziwa)
    hey ive got an offer from bham uni for economcis its my firm, manchester is insurance

however im thinking of taking a gap year and applying to lse management sciences.

in the future i wana go into investment banking or stock broking or something like that.

in terms of top firms would lse management sciences be better.
    Yes, IBs have a (unfair) affinity towards LSE/Oxbridge graduates, and degree from LSE would be favoured over B'ham/Manc.

ReputationRep:
    but i mean isnt economics claseed as a stronger degree than management sceicnes

ReputationRep:
    If you are keen on econ and have an offer for LSE man sci - when you come here try to get in your first year: 60% + in your econ, maths and stats modules and 50% + in your other module. This will enable you to transfer to lse econ in the second year (although you will have less options as you will have to take the other half of the quantitative units).

ReputationRep:
    I thought Management was considered a more important subject.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If you're set on IB, then take a gap year and apply for LSE.

ReputationRep:
    but u mean LSE management sciences
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    but u mean LSE management sciences
    If you want to go into investment banking, then opt for LSE irrespective of course.

ReputationRep:
    r u sure, i mean management sciences LSE ONLY WANT BBB,ABB I MEAN IT NOT STRONG COURSE AS ECON
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    r u sure, i mean management sciences LSE ONLY WANT BBB,ABB I MEAN IT NOT STRONG COURSE AS ECON
    Stop the text speak. Stop the capitals. Also, go and ask/read the IB&C forum if you're still unsure.

ReputationRep:
    Don't take a gap year - you probably will not get an offer as you currently only hold offers from average economic schools. Take a masters at LSE instead.

ReputationRep:
    :shock:

ReputationRep:
    bhams top 10 mate
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    bhams top 10 mate
    Just because two newspaper league tables say it is doesn't make it so. Those same league tables place LSE 8th below Birmingham, put Exeter at 6th for Economics and 9th overall nationally. Let's get real.

If you want a more 'realistic' league table, then look at Research Fortnight's RAE ranking as well as others such as EconPhd.net and Tom Coupe's Economics ranking.

(IDEAS is good but very limited in that as far as I'm aware - and I admit I could be mistaken - it only takes into account authors actually registered with RePEc; and of course, not everyone is.)

ReputationRep:
    LSE is WAY better uni for any degree. Any employer would take you on from LSE! Go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessred)
    LSE is WAY better uni for any degree!
    :sigh: No they aren't.

(Original post by princessred)
    Any employer would take you on from LSE! Go for it!
    :sigh: Not if you were an inferior candidate. An employer isn't going to pick any Tom, **** or Harry with and LSE degree just because it's LSE.

LSE is unboudtedly heavily targeted and well represented in IB, but Birmingham is still a large, good university and targeted by major employers. It's still by no means impossible to enter IB from Birmingham.

If you (the OP) want a . My advice is, unless you'll be really unhappy at Birmingham (due to course or location) then take the Birmingham offer. But it's your choice, of course. If you want to know whether or not taking management sciences over economics will put you at a disadvantage (despite the LSE name) then head over to the IB forum if you haven't already. Particularly the "Is this Course/Uni good enough for IB".

ReputationRep:
    tbh just because the grade boundaries are lower doesnt mean its easy to get into. LSE is very very competitive. also why did you chose Brum over Manc? i havent really been looking at the tables but from what i remember Manc is generally seen as more prestigious?

ReputationRep:
    well i chose brum cus its got a very strong econ department and is way higher than manchester in the lague tables overall and for econ

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.