Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying a degree in Accounting & Finance & Computing at a good uni.

Not enjoying computing very well and a poor year with a result of 2.2 overall (58 average) led me to think about other options.

I have an option to change my degree to a straight Accounting & Finance degree.

How would consulting firms view Accounting & Finance straight vs. Accounting & Finance & Computing?

Would I be disadvantaged with the latter since it's such a common degree?

I'm expected to graduate with a 2.1 overall.

Your ideas/advice is more than welcome!

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jus_Chillin2006)
    Not enjoying computing very well and a poor year with a result of 2.2 overall (58 average) led me to think about other options.

I have an option to change my degree to a straight Accounting & Finance degree.
    Since you are at Kent and are on a 2.2 , your choice of degree will make no difference to your chances of getting a consulting job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    Since you are at Kent and are on a 2.2 , your choice of degree will make no difference to your chances of getting a consulting job.
    I'd have to agree with this. OP, your best chance would to be to try and get onto an MSc/MA in Management or something similar at a top uni and take it from there. The 2.2 is a problem though.

Edit: Just realised you've not yet graduated. You really need to work for that 2.1, the prestige of Kent Uni might hold you back in terms of jobs, but a good Masters course could help a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    the prestige of Kent Uni might hold you back in terms of jobs, but a good Masters course could help a lot.
    Good advice.
    A Masters from Oxford, Cambridge or at least LSE, would be advisable if you plan a career in Consulting.

ReputationRep:
    Good advice.
    A Masters from Oxford, Cambridge or at least LSE, would be advisable if you plan a career in Consulting.
    If, a) You can afford it, and b) Have the academic record to actually be accepted.

Without being flippant, while a 1st from most places would give you a shot at an Oxbridge/LSE Masters course, a 2.1 from a low ranked uni would make things very difficult indeed. A top 20 Business School Masters is probably a more realistic option in such a case.

ReputationRep:
    Good advice.
    There's more to consulting than MBB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teenage Pirate)
    There's more to consulting than MBB.
    You are correct.
    And if the OP is willing to settle for Accenture, going to Kent should not be a significant barrier.

ReputationRep:
    A top 20 Business School Masters is probably a more realistic option in such a case.
    True.
    A MBA from LBS, Insead, Said or even Judge would help too.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if the OP is willing to settle for Accenture, going to Kent should not be a significant barrier.
    "settle"

whatever

ReputationRep:
    True.
    A MBA from LBS, Insead, Said or even Judge would help too.
    Well yeah, obviously they would, but again, they cost over £35,000 and they're still highly selective.

ReputationRep:
    Well yeah, obviously they would, but again... and they're still highly selective.
    Judge and Said are relatively easy to get into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teenage Pirate)
    "settle"

whatever
    Accenture is ranked somewhere between 14th and 20th, depending on which ranking you look at. You have to admit that it is no MBB.
    It is not even a Point B.

ReputationRep:
    Judge and Said are relatively easy to get into.
    What are you basing this on might I ask? Relative to what? From what I've heard, MBA applications are through the roof right now, and Oxbridge postgrad courses are always oversubscribed - their MSc, Mphil and Doctoral programs all require a 1st class undergrad degree amongst other qualifications (like GRE).

ReputationRep:
    What are you basing this on might I ask? Relative to what?
    Relative to Stanford, Harvard, Wharton, LBS, INSEAD.
    Judge and Said are easy to get into compared to any top-tier programs.

ReputationRep:
    Relative to Stanford, Harvard, Wharton, LBS, INSEAD.
    Judge and Said are easy to get into compared to any top-tier programs.
    I'd have to agree that relatively they are easier to get into - though that could quite easily mean that they have ~10 applicants per place as opposed to ~20 :rolleyes:.

What I'm trying to say is that while technically you're right, you'd still need a pretty stellar CV to get accepted. Basically, a 2.1 from Kent in Comp Science with little work experience is not going to get you an MBA/MSc place at Said/Judge.

Anyway, this is sort of moving away from the point of the thread. Op, I'd just reiterate that the course at Kent is not going to make too much difference to your career prospects as (I'm afraid to say), that Kent is not a well targeted uni. If you're serious about Consulting (at the likes of the Big4, Accenture, Capgemini etc...), a Masters of some sort at a top 20 Business School is probably what you're going to need. No harm in trying though.

ReputationRep:
    best idea for OP is to get away from tsr and then WORK YOUR ASS OFF and then come back.

ReputationRep:
    People should broaden their spectrum because a lot of people here are under estimators of the power of anything but academics; You won't find yourself working at a top firm, but it will be worth trying to get into a smaller consultancy firm to gain a decent level of experience, and really hone in on those extra curricular skills to present yourself as a good, solid candidate to larger firms! In fact, to what extent do you want to work in a larger firm; in a larger firm you are in essence a small fish in a HUGE pond, in which it is harder to shine, and to significantly move up the ranks (I am not saying there are not opportunities, but it is true that these promotions etc are where those Oxbridge graduates etc start to excel and achieve higher within these top firms) ! At a smaller firm you can move up the ranks quicker and, in career terms, in fact relatively quickly; if you show yourself to be exceptional you could find yourself at a Project Manager position perhaps within 5-7 years! With such experience a masters degree could be in call, and by this point a company that you are a strong/critical member of will be willing to fund you through obtaining a masters; due to experience you could even find yourself doing an MBA, or you could do a MSC in Business Analytics & Consulting! Small firms offer decent salaries, and in terms of motivation it would be so much more fulfilling to know that you actually make a difference in the company you work for!

ReputationRep:
    Uhh guys, to get into any of those MBAs you need work experinece, not to mention that pretty much everyone applies to these, so when given a choice between a candidate from Kent with a 1st and a guy from Oxford with a 2.1 ...

OP - Aston is your oyster

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.