Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you're going leave a 'gay' comment don't bother. I am not gay, just curious with the progression in celebrity culture and one's own appearance to conform.

Is there any product guys could get away with? i.e. not make it obvious that they are using any make-up or product on their face? I'm sure there are guys out there who use products normally associated with women whether it be concealer, make-up, eyeliner e.t.c.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's all pretty obvious, theres nothing really you could get away with without some people noticing. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Elvis did it.
    But it's definitely difficult to pull off when not done properly. Especially when a guy doesn't match up the product to his skin colour. I believe that some professionals use a delicate powder to even out the skin tone. Give it a shot?

ReputationRep:
    I think men can get away with a bit of concealer if they are self conscious of spots/scars if its really well blended in but anything like eyeliner I find weird and would totally put me off any man!

ReputationRep:
    Seems pretty gay to me, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Make-up on a guy is just plain weird!
    I do sympathise with guys with bad acne who can't wear concealer though...

ReputationRep:
    To cover really bad acne maybe yeah.. but otherwise, just no.. it's just not right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deazle)
    To cover really bad acne maybe yeah.. but otherwise, just no.. it's just not right
    I agree, it would put me off if I noticed and I think it would be hard not to notice! You'd need to find a good match for your skin, but even then people would probably notice because of the texture!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scouting for Girls)
    Is there any product guys could get away with? i.e. not make it obvious that they are using any make-up or product on their face? I'm sure there are guys out there who use products normally associated with women whether it be concealer, make-up, eyeliner e.t.c.
    I've been using products by Male Species, a company that produces and sells make-up for men - used also by actors, performers of various kind and so on.

Personally, I am satisfied with their products - I use foundation and have been using for over a year now, also a shaving nick cover stick. Thinking about getting some powder, to give a bit more natural appearance. TBH it's kinda hard to not notice, when you've got foundation on your face your skin tone is very even and skin surface is very even too, rarely anyone has got perfect skin - but I don't care, I want to look as good as possible, even if it's borderline Barbie (or rather: Ken, lol) image :coma:

I can recommend Male Species, they've got a lot of stuff, are a really good company - they don't seem to be a huge one, but I've been e-mailing with them personally asking for advice and they were always very helpful. Their site allows you to order directly from them, it's sent from the USA then, but I've seen some on-line stores having Male Species in their offer as well (not sure about Boots/Superdrug etc., tbh).

ReputationRep:
    That's so curious.

ReputationRep:
    They wear it on the TV though...gay or not.

ReputationRep:
    Philip from The Apprentice wears make-up, apparently.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    They did sell manscara and guyliner for a while. Yes that's exactly what they were called.
    It's a common thing to do in the art/music world though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    They wear it on the TV though...gay or not.
    You've got to wear make-up for TV, you've got all those news anchors wearing full make-up along with the eyeliners and stuff, it's necessary because of the lighting, the cameras, basically a "raw" person doesn't look good on TV, you need to tweak it up a bit. But it's really, really strong, it's make-up of special kind, you wouldn't find anyone wearing TV make-up outside the studio, tbh, really.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like eyeliner or mascara on guys, but a bit of concealer doesn't bother me as long as it looks natural.
    If a man wanted darker eyelashes then he should tint them rather than wear mascara.

ReputationRep:
    manscara and guyliner.. LOL

ReputationRep:
    I'm the opposite to most people on here (surprise surprise) in that I find a guy wearing concealer, a bit... dodgy. But then go ga-ga for a guy in eyeliner. I think it's the fact that you can see eyeliner, it's there on your face - it's a statement. Whereas concealer on a guy to me, suggests he's hiding something (bad skin, essentially) which I just don't like the thought of. Yes, I'm utterly hypocritical because I wear makeup myself. But that's the way the cookie crumbles for me.

ReputationRep:
    Scouting for Girls? More like Scouting for Boys

I think guys wearing make up is one of the first stages in having a sex change. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Us guys have to maintain our male status which means no makeup, except for hair wax/hair gel if that counts.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno. We did well all these decades without any of this.

If you're in your teens and you have Acme make up isn't going to really help you.

After that the male face pretty much clears up.

For a zit here and there, which they don't usually come often, I don't think it really is that important to use concealers and stuff.

Afterall, we guys torture our face every now and then with our shaving. Is it necessary to add more chemicals to our already irritated skin?

Now if you are a grown up guy that wants to use make up in order to hide his wrinkles... we're talking for some major insecurity issues right there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.