Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnlyMe!)
    Well, I don't think powder is necessarily the solution...
    Helps shaping face (facial structure), plus gives IMO a better texture and prevents shining, wouldn't do any harm anyway

What foundation do you use at the moment?
    The one mentioned before in the thread - by Male Species, Tinted Jojoba Foundation, Light - A Bit Of Beige (tbh that's the "brightest" one they have, and my complexion is pretty light as well, a bit lighter even than this foundation so I need to maintain a light tan to make it look good) :yep:

What exactly gives out that I'm wearing foundation, if you don't mind me asking? (I'm gonna use this opportunity of talking to a female to get some feedback, OK? :p:) Thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    The one mentioned before in the thread - by Male Species, Tinted Jojoba Foundation, Light - A Bit Of Beige (tbh that's the "brightest" one they have, and my complexion is pretty light as well, a bit lighter even than this foundation so I need to maintain a light tan to make it look good) :yep:

What exactly gives out that I'm wearing foundation, if you don't mind me asking? (I'm gonna use this opportunity of talking to a female to get some feedback, OK? :p:) Thanks
    I can just tell. It just doesn't look natural. And it looks a bit dark for your skin. I mean, I wear a beige-ish coloured foundation and I'm not white! :p:

How much of it do you apply? You're only meant to wear a few dots on your face.

A male friend of mine simply rubs a few drops betweens his hand and then over his face....it looks pretty natural that way too.

And do you really have to use a foundation specifically for men? :p: I mean, there are plenty of other brands out there which are more natural looking (and would have a greater variety of shades)

ReputationRep:
    I can just tell. It just doesn't look natural. And it looks a bit dark for your skin. I mean, I wear a beige-ish coloured foundation and I'm not white! :p:
    Yeah, that's what I thought as well, was tbh a bit concerned about that but wasn't 100% sure. Seems I really need to keep up with the tan, the profile pic has been done once my last tan did fade away. :s
    Thanks for confirming it, though

How much of it do you apply? You're only meant to wear a few dots on your face.
    Oh well - quite a lot of it, haha. Too much, definitely, need to cut on the use anyway

And do you really have to use a foundation specifically for men? :p: I mean, there are plenty of other brands out there which are more natural looking (and would have a greater variety of shades)
    TBH I don't, but I just started using foundation for men, it's been the first one that I ever got for myself, so I just kept on walking along with it? :confused:

Not sure if it actually is somehow different from the female foundation. Wouldn't surprise me if it was, though, after all male and female skin is different, the texture varies, male skin is generally thicker, harder I'd even say, there are some more differences, hence there are e.g. creams separate for men and women?

Is the friend you were referring to a girl or a boy? :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yeah, that's what I thought as well, was tbh a bit concerned about that but wasn't 100% sure. Seems I really need to keep up with the tan, the profile pic has been done once my last tan did fade away. :s
    Thanks for confirming it, though

Oh well - quite a lot of it, haha. Too much, definitely, need to cut on the use anyway

TBH I don't, but I just started using foundation for men, it's been the first one that I ever got for myself, so I just kept on walking along with it? :confused:

Not sure if it actually is somehow different from the female foundation. Wouldn't surprise me if it was, though, after all male and female skin is different, the texture varies, male skin is generally thicker, harder I'd even say, there are some more differences, hence there are e.g. creams separate for men and women?

Is the friend you were referring to a girl or a boy? :p:
    A boy. Hence why he's so keen for it to look natural :p:

I don't think there's a difference between male and female cosmetics. Having looked at the Male Species foundation, I think the main aim is for it to look natural - and there are plenty of other cosmetics which do that too! And to be honest, the lightest shade isn't particularly light at all :p: Is a tan really that important to you?

So yeah, step away from the male cosmetics!

ReputationRep:
    A boy. Hence why he's so keen for it to look natural :p:

I don't think there's a difference between male and female cosmetics. Having looked at the Male Species foundation, I think the main aim is for it to look natural - and there are plenty of other cosmetics which do that too! And to be honest, the lightest shade isn't particularly light at all :p: Is a tan really that important to you?

So yeah, step away from the male cosmetics!
    Yeah, it is. It's a cultural thingy, I'm originally Eastern European, both girls and guys tanned in my country (and generally in that region) are considered good-looking, it's definitely an advantage, at least as far as general masses and popular appeal is concerned. :yep:

I'll have to disagree with the no difference between male/female cosmetics thingy, though. I haven't compared the ingredients ever, I got to admit that, but I can't believe it's just 100% pure marketing and nothing else :lolwut:

There's gotta be some kind of difference, otherwise men could just use female cosmetics all the time and there would be no need for the whole male cosmetics industry to exist in such a degree it does now, IMO.

Anyhoo, if I were to step away from Male Species - hypothetically - what brand would you recommend? What brand does your friend use? :teeth:

thanks a lot
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yeah, it is. It's a cultural thingy, I'm originally Eastern European, both girls and guys tanned in my country (and generally in that region) are considered good-looking, it's definitely an advantage, at least as far as general masses and popular appeal is concerned. :yep:

I'll have to disagree with the no difference between male/female cosmetics thingy, though. I haven't compared the ingredients ever, I got to admit that, but I can't believe it's just 100% pure marketing and nothing else :lolwut:

There's gotta be some kind of difference, otherwise men could just use female cosmetics all the time and there would be no need for the whole male cosmetics industry to exist in such a degree it does now, IMO.

Anyhoo, if I were to step away from Male Species - hypothetically - what brand would you recommend? What brand does your friend use? :teeth:

thanks a lot
    He uses Loreal True Match foundation in "beige". Like you, he also prefers looking tanned, hence chose a darker shade :p: Although it doesn't seem obvious. I guess it's "true match" for a reason :p:

But it's not really the best foundation out there. I've found the most natural looking to be "Prescriptives virtual skin" foundation. If you go to a counter, they'd match you with your shade (they test the undertones of the skin, how deep it is, etc). I think for some guys, there's some sort of stigma attached to going to a beauty counter asking for help, but it's surely better than wearing the wrong foundation?

As for the male cosmetic...maybe there's a difference in terms of things like skincare, but in terms of other cosmetics such as eyeliner, mascara, highlighters, etc. I doubt it. Hence, some of it, at least, is purely for marketing reasons.

And....well, a tan isn't universally attractive :p: I think people generally look better with their natural skin colour (so...no tanning, no lightening, etc). But I guess attractiveness is subjective

ReputationRep:
    I like concealer and eyebrow pencil. If you don't use much then it's not obvious.

ReputationRep:
    Corpse paint counts, right?

ReputationRep:
    i <3 guyliner

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.