Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Powerlifting Competitions Coming Up Watch

ReputationRep:
    OK I'm sure we have a few lifters here who haven't got their feet wet in competition yet, and some who have but are still novices. There are 2 very good shows coming up this summer which are great places to get your first competition done.

All England Powerlifting Championships - 22-23/08/09
    http://www.powerliftinguk.com/showth...?t=8341&page=5
    to compete, you need to be a member of the GBPF
    http://www.gbpf.org.uk/Membership/Membership.aspx

This was my first meet last year and The Farm put on a great meet. There's no reason at all why this year shouldn't be as good or even better. This is also qualifier for the British Unequipped in October. Although it is late in the year it is still worth buying the GBPF membership IMO (and this is from someone very happy in the BPC). After this competition is the British Unequipped and after that I think Paul Rees will host the second Universities and Colleges Champs which was a good meet last year.

I live about 20 minutes away from the venue and I'm pretty sure people wanting to compete in this can stay at my house. There is room for 4 people in my car (3 if Scott Bebbs is one of them). My training partner at Nottingham has first dibs and if Scott and/or Ryan want to come then they have second/third dibs since they hosted me at the Southeast. I think my family is on holiday without me for that weekend. If you're interested in doing this PM me. If I don't know you, tell me your name and GBPF membership number in the PM so I know you're not screwing around/a paedophile.

BPC UK Open - 06/09/09
    http://www.powerliftinguk.com/showthread.php?t=10957

This is a great novice competition. You can pay a decreased fee to join the BPC for just the day and it's in London town so easy access for all. You can't stay at my house and you wouldn't particularly want to anyway to get to London. There is also a novice cup apparently so you don't need to worry about turning up just to be beaten by drug fuelled gear whores who have been gear whoring for years. As usual in the BPC there will be some ridiculous lifters including Jim Nuttall (biggest British bencher ever) and it will be a great show both to watch and be a part of.

I encourage anyone and everyone to compete :yy:

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to, if I had the remotest chance of competing with anyone turning up. :/

ReputationRep:
    Providing I don't suffer another injury. I may well be up for the first one. Scott will be working that weekend. I'll talk to him when I see him after work tomorrow and get back to you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm lifting at the open me thinks, squat is a work in progress at the moment as trying stuff out but you never know, will be going for a big bench and dead though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    I'd love to, if I had the remotest chance of competing with anyone turning up. :/
    You don't need to worry about that for your first meet. It's all about getting your feet wet and learning the sport, then after you've done a few think about bein competitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    There is room for 4 people in my car (3 if Scott Bebbs is one of them).
    i thought you should know that i died a little inside reading this

definitely going for one of the two, provided i get the time off work, more inclined to do the BPC open since i figured i'll probably lift with the BPC next year anyways

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.