Russian (or similar)? Watch

Emers
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm already doing French and Spanish, but I want to learn something a bit more obscure just for fun. I think I'd end up having to teach myself because the local college only does evening classes in Spanish, Italian and Polish and I'm not sure where else I could go to learn it.

So anyway, I was considering Russian, but some some of my parents' (clever) friends found it extremely difficult and they were fluent in other languages. Is it really that hard? And are there any other languages that are similar to Russian, but not quite as challenging? Something that sounds similar and would be good preparation if I wanted to learn Russian at a later date?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
vozmozhno
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
It's harder than German and French, mainly because of the grammar, which is more different from our own, however it's a very pretty language and learning the alphabet is the easiest part. I recommend you try it and see what happens! To be honest, Russian is easier than the other slavonic languages (think German vs Dutch), I think and it acts as a base, so when you can understand Russian you can understand the other slavonic languages to some extent- Ukrainian, Belorussian, even a bit of Polish.
Anatheme
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Emers)
I'm already doing French and Spanish, but I want to learn something a bit more obscure just for fun. I think I'd end up having to teach myself because the local college only does evening classes in Spanish, Italian and Polish and I'm not sure where else I could go to learn it.

So anyway, I was considering Russian, but some some of my parents' (clever) friends found it extremely difficult and they were fluent in other languages. Is it really that hard? And are there any other languages that are similar to Russian, but not quite as challenging? Something that sounds similar and would be good preparation if I wanted to learn Russian at a later date?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Russian is pretty difficult, but with interest and motivation, you'll find it's a fascinating and very rewarding language. The grammar is tricky, but if you learn regularly and make sure you try to use it, it'll be ok. As said before, the alphabet is the easy bit, the grammar the difficult bit, but it has some things in common with European languages, it's not completely different, just confusing. Also, with it, you'll be able to read Russian lit in Russian and that's awesome, haha. There aren't that many people doing it, so you have the exclusivity, and it's in demand as well (the UN were looking for interpreters in Russian).

I can't really think of a similar language, maybe Latin or ancient Greek, for the grammar, or German seems to be a widely combined language with Russian. It's pretty different from the usual languages so apart from Polish or other Eastern European languages, I can't really think of anything, any language is a good preparation, really.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?