Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I'm going to attend the foundation course at Camberwell. I was wondering what art supplies and materials I should bring or buy in advance. Because I'm an international student and living oversea. And I think I should prepare some stuff from my home country before heading to London in the few weeks.

What are the basic tools that art students use in UK?

In my country, we basically need EE pencils, sketch board, newspaper paper (unused) for observational drawing class and sketching. We also use gouache (or poster colour) for colour theory class.

So I wonder if this is different there. Please let me know what I should get beforehand.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    i'm not actually at uni yet XD but i'm guessing you might also need a few sketchpads too, a few different types of pens and maybe some other paint mediums like watercolours and acrylics...but you could get that stuff in the UK anywayz =) lol hope that helped

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I wouldnt worry about packing all that stuff. A lot of stuff will be provided and what isnt you can get over here for a reasonable price. Don't bother filling your suitcase up with stationary. But then again - I see your from Thailand and I guess in comparison things are much cheaper over there. So I guess bring things that you think you will need and the media that you think you will most need. If you can get loads of sketchbooks cheaply over there then bring them and some good quality brushes. If you dont have one already I would recommend bringing a laptop that has useful editing software like Photoshop, Illustrator etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. That helped me a lot, Kai Hiwatari. I know that I can buy all needed stuff there. But art supplies are mostly cheaper here as DANdeLion5 said. I just want make sure which ones I should/should not bring.

So I'm gonna bring:
    Paints : Acrylics, Water-colours
    Pens
    Brushes
    Sketchpad
    Laptop

And thanks, both of you.

ReputationRep:
    you will be asked to pay money for materials at enrollement or at the beginning of your course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DANdeLion5)
    To be honest I wouldnt worry about packing all that stuff. A lot of stuff will be provided and what isnt you can get over here for a reasonable price. Don't bother filling your suitcase up with stationary. But then again - I see your from Thailand and I guess in comparison things are much cheaper over there. So I guess bring things that you think you will need and the media that you think you will most need. If you can get loads of sketchbooks cheaply over there then bring them and some good quality brushes. If you dont have one already I would recommend bringing a laptop that has useful editing software like Photoshop, Illustrator etc.

they dont have much provided i did a short course at csm and they asked us to bring a lot of stuff because they didnt have the supplies.

ReputationRep:
    there are sme very cheap art supply shops in London too, like Cass Art. Wouldn't be worth bringing loads of stuff over, especially not sketchbooks!

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
University of the Arts London resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.