Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't he seem like someone you would meet down your local pub, rather than the United Kingdom's Secretary of State for Health?

Do you like him? Is he competent enough for his position? He was on Question Time last week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamond Diva)
    Doesn't he seem like someone you would meet down your local pub, rather than the United Kingdom's Secretary of State for Health?

Do you like him? Is he competent enough for his position? He was on Question Time last week.

I like Andy Burnham. He's seems like a nice, down-to-earth guy. As you said, he's like someone you meet down the pub rather than a politician. That's why I was also surprised that he's a Cambridge graduate!!!!! :eek:

He plays in the annual House of Commons vs. Journalists' footie match and he's a pretty amazing player from what I've seen of him playing footbal on TV.

Yes, I think he's competent enough for his position and is a rising star in politics.

ReputationRep:

Christ. People crucify Brown for not being a "man of the people" and then when someone is, they aren't competent? WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE WANT?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smalltownboy)
    Christ. People crucify Brown for not being a "man of the people" and then when someone is, they aren't competent? WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE WANT?!
    Well said. Burnham went to Cambridge so he's not stupid. Just because someone is down-to-earth doesn't mean they are incompetent. Alan Johnson is an example. Very good at his job but still a nice bloke. Burnham and Alan Johnson are the type of people we need in politics.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter, like Defence, Health is a poisoned job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    It doesn't matter, like Defence, Health is a poisoned job.
    Didn't do Johnson any harm. Unless of course you are trying to make a joke.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't do Johnson any harm. Unless of course you are trying to make a joke.
    Alan Johnson was **** at health, the only reason he didn't look quite that incompetent was because he was compared to Patsy

Sorry, I probably chose the wrong words, it's not a poisoned job since failure gets rewarded by Labour.

ReputationRep:

Burnham seems like a straight-forward, straight talking guy- so no matter if he seems like someone you'd see down the pub. He's well educated, he's now experienced in politics, he's been a minister for quite a while now- he could end up going far for Labour.

ReputationRep:
    He seemed to be a petty class warrior on QT.

'Baaaaaaaaaaw elitism'.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else think he's rather fit?
    Just me? Okay...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Alan Johnson was **** at health, the only reason he didn't look quite that incompetent was because he was compared to Patsy

Sorry, I probably chose the wrong words, it's not a poisoned job since failure gets rewarded by Labour.
    I actually like Patsy. :o: It still surprises me that she's a LABOUR MP because she is so posh, prim, porper and middle class.

ReputationRep:
    Christ. People crucify Brown for not being a "man of the people"
    No they don't, they cruxify him for being arrogant and completely unable to communicate with the electorate. That is not the same as being the sort of person you'd meet in the pub. Winston Churchill is often considered the finest PM of the 20th century, yet no-one would imagine him a 'man of the people'. He could, however, communicate with them.

(Original post by T. Hereford)
    Well said. Burnham went to Cambridge so he's not stupid. Just because someone is down-to-earth doesn't mean they are incompetent. Alan Johnson is an example. Very good at his job but still a nice bloke. Burnham and Alan Johnson are the type of people we need in politics.
    I don't mind Burnham; or at least have not had caused to yet. Alan Johnston is a nice enough guy - the problem with him is that he is - in so many ways - basically New Labour's equivalent of John Major.

ReputationRep:
    His eyes are frickin weird. Seriously, they freak me out. Not a good enough reason but meh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feral Beast)
    His eyes are frickin weird. Seriously, they freak me out. Not a good enough reason but meh.
    Exactly.
    I swear he was wearing eyeliner on QT :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Another down-to-earth MP who would be a good leader / PM is John Denham. He seems like a nice bloke.

ReputationRep:
    Whether he is 'down to earth' is irrelevant to me and no, I don't like him. He is a classic nu-Labour stooge, strongly supporting vile systems such as identity cards. Back in 2006 he was on the Today Programme on Radio 4 and stated that: "I take the view that it is part of being a good citizen, proving who you are, day in day out." Going about our lawful business without state interference is a foreign concept to him and the nu-Labour movement.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.