Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    is it much different from social work?

adult?
    what does it involve? Are you wiping bums a lot?

child?
    what doe sit involve?

learning disability?
    what does it involve?

mental health?
    what does it involve?

ReputationRep:
    come on guys
    I'm getting fed up of a levels now and i'm thinking of entering clearing

ReputationRep:
    Referring to adult nurses as "bum wipers" probably won't endear you to a lot of people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    Referring to adult nurses as "bum wipers" probably won't endear you to a lot of people.
    I didn't refer to them as bum wipers, I asked if they did it a lot. Re read my original post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnowAngel)
    I didn't refer to them as bum wipers, I asked if they did it a lot. Re read my original post.
    Faith in humanity -1

ReputationRep:
    There are websites for this sort of thing. If you can't do some basic research then I wouldn't be considering any kind of degree or career.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.connexions-direct.com/Jobs4u/

Type in 'Nurse' and that will give you an idea of the different branches

ReputationRep:
    wow what is up with you guys thinking this is some attack on nursing students?

I have done research but I think first hand accounts of student/past nurses will give me a better an idea of what is involved.

Can someone help me please?

ReputationRep:
    wow what is up with you guys thinking this is some attack on nursing students?

I have done research but I think first hand accounts of student/past nurses will give me a better an idea of what is involved.

Can someone help me please?
    I am a student nurse and I can tell you that if you look on the NHS website it'll give you a very accurate description of what nurses do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilee172)
    I am a student nurse and I can tell you that if you look on the NHS website it'll give you a very accurate description of what nurses do.
    http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/nursing.shtml

the description of adult nursing:
    Adult nurses work with old and young adults with diverse health conditions, both chronic and acute. They juggle numerous priorities and use caring, counselling, managing, teaching and all aspects of interpersonal skills to improve the quality of patients' lives, sometimes in difficult situations. Work may be based in hospital wards, clinics or, increasingly, community settings and you may do shift work to provide 24-hour care

That does not really tell me much.
    I would like more detail.
    Please

ReputationRep:
    What a stupid thread. If you have to ask whether you'll be wiping bums then the shouldn't even bother.

Adult nurses work with old and young adults with diverse health conditions, both chronic and acute. They juggle numerous priorities and use caring, counselling, managing, teaching and all aspects of interpersonal skills to improve the quality of patients' lives, sometimes in difficult situations. Work may be based in hospital wards, clinics or, increasingly, community settings and you may do shift work to provide 24-hour care

Please
    It describes it perfectly tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    What a stupid thread. If you have to ask whether you'll be wiping bums then the shouldn't even bother.
    that isn't all I asked though. That's what I've always been told and wanted clarification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    It describes it perfectly tbh.
    No it doesn't, and not in much detail.
    What kind of diverse roles? what do they do in hospitals?????
    I gather they proably take your heart rate but what else?
    detail

ReputationRep:
    No it doesn't, and not in much detail.
    What kind of diverse roles? what do they do in hospitals?????
    I gather they proably take your heart rate but what else?
    detail
    Taking physical obs and vital signs - blood pressure, heart rate, pulse, respirations, neurological obs.... then there's moving and handling, moving patients that need moving or sitting up, wound care, personal care (washing and dressing, attending to personal hygiene, shaving, taking to the toilet), assisting with giving out medication, etc. I am not an adult nurse so can't be anymore specific but that NHS description describes it well.

ReputationRep:
    Taking physical obs and vital signs - blood pressure, heart rate, pulse, respirations, neurological obs.... then there's moving and handling, moving patients that need moving or sitting up, wound care, personal care (washing and dressing, attending to personal hygiene, shaving, taking to the toilet), assisting with giving out medication, etc. I am not an adult nurse so can't be anymore specific but that NHS description describes it well.
    well I apologise for being an idiot
    Thanks for your input and more input is also welcomed

ReputationRep:
    well I apologise for being an idiot
    Thanks for your input and more input is also welcomed
    well feel free to ask anymore questions and i'll answer best i can! which branch are you interested in?

ReputationRep:

Please
    Why not try Google?

Or do you prefer attention-seeking on the forum?

And for the people who negged me, I suggest that you take a long hard look at all of this person's posts and ask yourself, could this person really be so needy and lacking in the ability to find out information that they have to have every little aspect of nursing spelled out to them?

Or are they trolling and you are falling for it.

Who knows? You decide.

ReputationRep:
    Bum wiping? No, they make the HCAs do that most of the time

ReputationRep:
    well feel free to ask anymore questions and i'll answer best i can! which branch are you interested in?
    To be honest they all look very interesting!
    The question is basically the same for all branches

I have some experience with people who have learning disabilities but the others are still interesting

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.