The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

SnowAngel
can you tell me what uni you went to? pm me?

why do you want to know?!
Reply 61
smilee172
why do you want to know?!

curious, and it seems you've gone to a good place
i won't tell anyone and i'm not going to try and track you down lol
I'm going to bed now but please pm me x
Am I the only person who finds the OP a bit too curious and overly inquisitive?
jinglepupskye
Am I the only person who finds the OP a bit too curious and overly inquisitive?

juuust a bit
Reply 64
Subcutaneous
not realllyyyy..student nurses do do a module in midwifery, and need to have some background of it for example we have to deal with births to register, understand breastfeeding, be able to support women in this..contraception etc, and many do go into gynaecology, and deal a lot with early pregnancy etc, and can do 18month conversion courses which are in no way being phased out and many nurses are being encouraged to consider midwifery still, its not necessarily 'completely seperate'

There may be some overlap in modules and stuff learnt (not sure whether I mentioned that) but my point was that Midwifery is not a branch of adult nursing, thats all. 18 month conversion courses are being phased out in some places (like Southampton). I can't comment on the picture as a whole.

smilee172
it is completely separate in that if you're going to uni and want to be a midwife you do one degree, and as a nurse you do another. they are not the same course, and therefore are separate.

Yep thats exactly what I meant.:smile:
Reply 65
this thread was good till narcy OP killed it! popopopopopo :biggrin:
kiss_me_now9
Ah, my bad. I assumed that they'd have nurses as well as midwives - is that a no? :ninja: :smile:

No just midwives - unless you mean Care support workers or 'auxillary nurses' as some people call them.

The interesting thing with midwifery is it combines many different 'branches' of nusing within one job - theres community, sugical, post-op care, HDU, triage, neonatal care, plus your bog standard ward setting. Plus individual patients will become pregnant with other medical conditions already in place such as diabetes/heart conditions/mental health problems/social problems etc.

Just so much variety in the job!

Haha sorry to go on about midwives in the nurses thread- it's something only I've just noticed really :smile:
Fawn
Referring to adult nurses as "bum wipers" probably won't endear you to a lot of people.

especially given all four branches do their fair share of clearing up bodily fluids ...

Latest