Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has Anyone Ever Tried Weight Loss With A Friend? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just asking, because me and one of my good friends are embarking (lol) on weight loss together, we're gonna call eachother or text or something everyday to talk about our day and how we did. This is good for me cos then i have to hold myself accountable to mistakes and take responsibility

Just wondering, has anyone ever done anything like this and what do you think of it.

ReputationRep:
    Done it with a family member but it didn't work out as the family member was slacking and eventually gave up.

I don't understand why you really need somebody there so you can hold your 'accountable'.

ReputationRep:
    i guess it's the feeling that i have to tell my friend all my slip-ups lol, and i don't want to do that, so then i just don't slip up. Did you carry on by yourself after?

ReputationRep:
    I had a couple of friends who did it, and 1 ending up turning anorexic and dragging the other one down with her - wasn't pretty.

ReputationRep:
    I did that at the beginning of last year. I developed acute eating disorders and my friend... didn't really lose that much weight at all.

ReputationRep:
    Not so much setting out to achieve weight loss so much but my best friend and I go for a walk everyday just to try and get more active seeing as we were both lazy before we started.

I've gotten heaps fitter since starting because we do hill walks everyday and they are pretty tough some times.

ReputationRep:
    wow, a few tough stories there , i'm sorry. I guess i do have to be on the lookout before it goes too far. but i feel motivated to lose the extra weight with my friend and good idea with the hill walks deanna

ReputationRep:
    Ye I carried on after. I guess the main thing is that you make sure that you ain't getting held back or dragged to far away from your comfort level. The problem might appear when one of you says "I lost 2lbs" and the other says "I've lose half a lb", if things like this wont affect you then good luck. Make sure it doesn't become a competition.

ReputationRep:
    I have done it with 2 friends before now.
    The first friend I prefered doing it with because it was like a mini competition between us, a friendly one, but if one of us slacked and we could have a giggle about it, slap on the wrist and I found i was always motivated to do it. We ended up losing 2 stone each in 4 months.
    The 2nd friend was bigger than me to start with and she has PCOS which made losing weight for her harder. So at the end of the week when i'd lost about 3lb and she had only lost a few oz, she used to get upset. She never liked talking about it and it didn't work for either of us.
    I guess it depends on how well you and your friend get on and if they are competitive or not.
    Good luck anyway

ReputationRep:
    Me and my best friend used to do lines so we would have no appetite, and eat coucous and tell each other off for eating.

Was pretty fun.

Edit: I wouldn't recommend lines for weightloss.

ReputationRep:
    no, because i am really competitive. it'd end up messy.

i'm training for a 10k with one of my best friends though, so it's more like fitness rather than weight loss. she's just as bad as me, so hopefully we'll both end up pretty fit...

ReputationRep:
    haha i'm not really competitive. And I don't even have scales so it's not like I could say 'i lost a gazillion pound, in your face' lol. I'm just going by the fit of my clothes. But I know my friend and she's not like that either. It's just motivating eachother to eat healthily really and supporting eachother through slip-ups

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.