Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    last edited

ReputationRep:
    It depends, it it best to apply for deferred straight away; I say this as I applied for entry this year and then decided I wanted a gap year. Luckily the two uni's I wanted to go to agreed once I asked but a couple didnt (luckily the ones I didnt want to go to), so you could well lose out. So you dont have to apply for deferred straight away, but they dont have to defer it for you at request.

You can only really defer for one year unless you have very special circumstances, in terms of finance you will just apply next year i.e. the summer before you go to uni :yep:

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by python38)
    I'm considering doing this (I'm applying to university this autumn), but I'm not entirely sure whether or not I want to do. My reasons for doing so would be (1) especially due to the fact I'm homeschooled, I want to gain more real-world experience, stuff outside of academics and my usual extracurriculars and (2) the fact I'm a few years younger than the average uni applicant.

If I want to defer admission, do I have to make my mind up now? Or, if I'm accepted next year, can I hold off deciding till then?

Also, how would this affect the whole process of applying for financial aid (loans, bursaries, etc.)?

Finally, I suppose one can't defer admission for more than one year?

Thanks!
    How old are you?
    I don't think you can defer entry for more than a year, if that's what you decide to do why don't you just re-apply when your ready?

ReputationRep:
    It depends on a bunch of stuff: A) where you're applying B) what you're doing in your gap year.

Firstly, if you apply to Oxbridge and get an offer, you can't ask for a deferral later on. You'll have to decline the offer and reapply during your gap year.

As for what you're doing, if you're planning on applying to a bunch of schemes, personally I would do what I did: Apply now, and apply for your gap year schemes. This way, if you get on your schemes, you have a gap year and can then either ask for a deferral OR decline and reapply in your gap year (I'm doing the latter). However, if you find yourself with nothing to do on your gap year, you still have university offers.

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to Cambridge, Warwick, LSE, St.Andrews, and I haven't decided on my fifth university yet. Which universities did you apply to clements?

And what's a gap year scheme? (Sorry, I don't know much about this.)
    I went for Cambridge, Warwick, Bristol, Manchester and Exeter. As for schemes, it depends what you want to do but there are a bunch of companies that run schemes for most of your year out. I applied to a few and got all mine and they ranged from 6 months to 9 months mostly. I think some may even be a year. You've got companies like Deloitte, PwC, Bank of England, IBM, Accenture, Deutsche Bank may do one I think, Rothschild IB, etc. Of course, I was going for Economics so it depends what subject you're interested in but possibly look for relevant work experience and see if there are any schemes run by companies you may be interested in.

I know for a fact that LSE and Warwick are open to requesting late deferrals if you're doing something worthwhile with your gap year. But Cambridge aren't. Quite a few schemes have opened applications already e.g. IBM and Deloitte and so schemes with early applications will allow you to know by October whether you want to defer or not, whereas last year I couldn't do this as applications didn't open til August/September.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. When do gap year schemes usually begin? (Like I said, I finish my education completely next June, although I could probably start a scheme sometime around next January).

Also, how long do you usually have to work for? Unfortunately, although I personally don't mind working for a long time, due to the fact that I'll only be 16 next year, I think that puts restrictions on how long, and what hours, I can work each day.
    They start around the following August/September/October.

As for length, it varies, usually between 6 months and a year. I think the restriction on hours is only when you're in school since you can get a full time job from the age of 16 i.e. school leavers

ReputationRep:
    You mean they start this year, or next year?
    Next year. Since I applied last year and am starting this October.

ReputationRep:
    So if I want to apply for a gap year and I apply as normal this year, I can apply for gap year schemes this year, but I can decide whether or not I actually want to take the gap year till around summer next year?

Also, do you think there's any chance Cambridge would consider letting me defer for a year due to my age? Unlikely, I know, but I think it might be easier (for both the university and me) if I defer admission, due to the fact I won't be over 18 and so forth.
    Yeah, I think, from what I can gather you're saying. You can apply for schemes now and then apply as normal in October for uni and decide once you've got your offers whether to ask for a deferral or just to go to uni. Alternatively, you may find out if you got on the schemes before october so could just apply deferred entry.

As for your age, it may be the case that they'll recommend you apply deferred anyway (esp. Cambridge). They did this to my friend (he would've been 17 when starting) and recommended he take a year out. Most unis should have information on their website on what to do if you're under 18 at the age of starting.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much! I'll definitely try to find some gap year schemes to apply to ASAP.

Just one thing. Obviously, whether or not I defer admission, I still need to study a course I applied for, so that wouldn't be an advantage. But what would you say the advantages/disadvantages of deferring a year would be, besides the ones I've already listed?
    I can't really answer that as such. What course are you looking to study? For me personally, it gets me relevant work experience, plus I really just needed a break from education for a while. So the work bit is perfect because I'll make a lot of money this year and get to travel for 5 months. Plus, I'll get a min. of £3k from Deloitte each year at uni so financially it makes sense as well.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still not sure, to be honest. Either Law, Maths/Economics (and then I'll go on into finance) or Management/Business.
    Okay, well I definitely suggest you check out the schemes I listed and fast. I would get your application in ASAP.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.