Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Really need some advice... I've basically done completed one year of medicine, but was failed my second year... do you think there is any chance/has it ever happened before that perhaps on clearing another med school will take a student like this?

Thankss

ReputationRep:
    First, you haven't made clear what's happened - have you failed resits? Have you been expelled? What have your school said?

But, as a general rule transferring between medical schools is very difficult outside of the usual Oxbridge/London/Andies transfer window. It only really happens on compassionate grounds.

And, if you have been ejected from medical school it is practically impossible to get into another.

ReputationRep:
    I was involved in a case (or two!) not dissimilar to the bear bones of this as welfare officer at BL.

As a rule, transfering before completion of the "preclinical" phase of your course has ended is near on impossible, as courses are not compatable enough to allow early transfer with out potentially missing crucial taught material - it's hard enough at the pre-clinical/clinical interface with this respect due to the integrated nature of nearly all undergraduate medical courses today.

The one and only exception that I am aware of , and it is as rare as hens teeth, that would facilitate transfer having failed your 2nd year would be if the area in which you are studying contributed to that fail. You would need water tight evidence - i.e. doctors letter proving evidence of lots of visits to discuss this (GP or psychiatrist) and usually that you had enaged with college/uni support services and told your senior tutor/who ever you have at your School enough of what was going on to know there was a problem.

Your last option, and the one that medical schools would advise you to take, it to reapply via UCAS. You need to work out how to put a positive spin on your first failed attempt.

If you haven't been asked to leave your current course, my advice to you would be to get your head down, retake your exms/2nd year and look at the option of transfering to another school for clinicals.

If your fail happened a while ago (i.e. not this year), you are looking at a full UCAS application - no one will touch you via clearing this late in the day. How well you can spin your first attenpt at med is important. The other option would be to go down the "any degree" route - something I REALLY don't often advocate - but I know a few GEP students who have failed medicine in the past and came back to it as graduates and got in. You can prove you've grown up in the interim period, realised the opportunity you wasted, etc. Or you might realise that medicine isn't for you and a "regular" degree might help you find who you are and what you want to do with your life.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Yes :'-( I did fail my 2nd year... and it was my final attempt as it was my repeat 2nd year because of personal circumstances. I still had a few problems during my repeat year, but my tutor said it wasn't big enough to explain the reasons for my failure again.

I've applied to Pharmacy now few weeks ago, as some of my tutors have said coming back as a graduate will be better and some have just said perhaps medicine isn't for you.

My heart is still set on medicine, and that's why I'm thinking of doing Pharamcy and that will perhaps give me a stronger base if I was to reapply in the future?

ReputationRep:
    if you are simply doing a degree to apply for medicine as a graduate, why don't you consider doing a shorter degree?
    Pharmacy as i understand, is a 4 year degree (i may be wrong), a shorter course may be cheaper and less time consuming i.e biochemistry, biomed, or whichever science or non-science you are most intersted in, and think you will be able to achieve a 2.1 in.

ReputationRep:
    I actually think pharmacy is a good idea - so long as you complete your pre-reg year. Medicine as a graduate is crippling, and having a good income stream is never a bad idea, not to mention the superior prescribing knowledge you will have!

And if you don't get in to medical school, you have a vocational qualification to fall back on. Biochem might be quicker, but it might not get you a job at the end of it, which in today's climate has to be a consideration for your back up plan.

ReputationRep:
    humm i was sort of kind of in your situation.
    Maybe it would be better if you took a year out to think about this rather than rushing from course to course without thinking?

ReputationRep:
    Some excellent advice so far from people far wiser than me! Just another thought - is your medical school prepared to help arrange entry into the first year of another medical school? I know mine managed to do this for people who failed first year exams and resits. I guess it's very circumstance-dependant though and both medical schools would have to be happy with the situation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.