Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right, I need people's advice. I am currently in year 12, going into year 13 at my 6th form. I am taking Maths, Physics, History (and dropping Politics.) I have passed my RN medical and awaiting my final interview before the AIB. My choice is do I go to Uni and study History or go straight into the Navy as a Warfare Officer. If I did go to Uni, then I would go straight in after as a Warfare Officer anyway.

TIA

Harpoon

ReputationRep:
    I know a guy who's older sister got a Maths degree and then went in to the Navy, she got to skip a couple of ranks. Also univeristy is a great life experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harpoon)
    Right, I need people's advice. I am currently in year 12, going into year 13 at my 6th form. I am taking Maths, Physics, History (and dropping Politics.) I have passed my RN medical and awaiting my final interview before the AIB. My choice is do I go to Uni and study History or go straight into the Navy as a Warfare Officer. If I did go to Uni, then I would go straight in after as a Warfare Officer anyway.

TIA

Harpoon
    Hmmm.... that's a good question. But anyway, it depends on lots of things.

-If you have good grades (As or Bs) I think that the best option would be going to a reputable university, and then, when you finish your degree, you'll have time to think about your future, and eventually joining the Navy. Also, with a higher education degree I'm sure you'll get better earnings.

-If you don't have so good grades, the decision would be a bit more difficult... You can do whatever you want; going to a normal uni and study history there and then joining the navy, or joining the navy straight now. Just ask your relatives, etc. and most important, ask yourself, if you want to pursue a degree or not.

Good luck anyway

ReputationRep:
    It's your choice of course, but I would say go to uni then join the navy.

ReputationRep:
    IF you are sure you want to join the Navy then try for a bursary through Uni, then you get financial help and know you have a job at a decent level at the end of it ... this is what my brother did. However because he did it I've seen that when he was year 12/13 Navy was what he wnated to spend his career doing, after 3/4 years at uni people change but because he was sponsored through uni he has no choice but to join up or payback.

So if you are definate then try sponsorship, but if you want to allow for yourself changing, then as the above have said go to uni first for the life experiences you'll get!

Yet it is your life so whichever route you feel suits you better!

ReputationRep:
    Its a question many people ask themselves, myself included. Some people, particularly those there will say go to BRNC and do a degree in service if you want one. Others will say the university lifestyle is an opportunity that cannot be missed.

With regard your rank upon entry if you join as a non graduate you will become a midshipman, as a graduate a Sub Lt, however after 3 years undergraduates become sub Lt anyway so you will not loose out in that respect.

Ultimately its your decision and not one that you have to make yet, i changed my mind several times, wouldnt be surprised if you do too!

Mr T

ReputationRep:
    Go to Uni first and enjoy yourself - you'll grow up and it shows.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Go to uni - much easier to get a degree then join up rather than join up and get a degree later.

ReputationRep:
    Go to uni, you'll get Lt faster and you'll still have more money than the Midshipman who doesn't have a student loan.

ReputationRep:
    I know a guy who did medicine at uni with a navy bursary. He went straight to Lieutenant when he graduated, and was given a bursary throughout uni (as much as £12,000 a year I think).

ReputationRep:
    This is a hard one, I know one person who went to Uni left during first year deciding it wasn't for him; joined the Navy and never looked back. I also know another person who went to uni for three years got his degree then joined the Navy and wishes he went straight in before uni.

It's up to the individual what you do however it's hard to call as if you've never experienced uni you don't know if it is for you or not.

ReputationRep:
    Do AIB now, get sponsored, go to uni and have a blast with your local URNU. Best of both worlds! Then go to Dartmouth on grad and be paid a but more than your non-grad counterparts knowing if you got MD'd etc. you have a degree to fall back on.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting to note how an identical question ( i pressume its the same person) on RR had very different suggestions!

Mr T
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by tissue)
    Interesting to note how an identical question ( i pressume its the same person) on RR had very different suggestions!

Mr T
    Does RR have a majority of officers in the serving personnel that offer advice in the forum? I suspect not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Does RR have a majority of officers in the serving personnel that offer advice in the forum? I suspect not.
    Correct. Most are pensioned off ratings. There's a real gold mine of RN related stuff over there -which is why I tend to read there more than here- however, there's certainly a lot more dross/ "wit" to trawl through too (ie. the replies mentioned above).

:top:

ReputationRep:
    Non-graduates going for Warfare will complete a Foundation Degree in Naval Studies as part of their training, which can be topped up to a full Honours Degree during your service.

If you are sure that you will join the Royal Navy seriously consider joining out of school, if you have doubts and want options, go to University.

Schools at the moment are blinding students that post-A-levels there is Uni and that is your only option, we do not need 50% of people with a degree! Do what you think is right for you, because there are other options than a degree for a degree's sake!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by v-st08)
    Non-graduates going for Warfare will complete a Foundation Degree in Naval Studies as part of their training, which can be topped up to a full Honours Degree during your service.

If you are sure that you will join the Royal Navy seriously consider joining out of school, if you have doubts and want options, go to University.

Schools at the moment are blinding students that post-A-levels there is Uni and that is your only option, we do not need 50% of people with a degree! Do what you think is right for you, because there are other options than a degree for a degree's sake!
    This is fair enough however, given the tempo of life today for many servicemen/women when are they going to find the time to complete a degree? Given many do - but there is also the 'growing up' and 'life experience' that goes with University. I was very anti-uni and can quite honestly say I think I would struggle having not been to uni - the maturity level is noticeable, especially where I am right now. Grads seem to be a lot more chilled out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Venom)
    This is fair enough however, given the tempo of life today for many servicemen/women when are they going to find the time to complete a degree? Given many do - but there is also the 'growing up' and 'life experience' that goes with University. I was very anti-uni and can quite honestly say I think I would struggle having not been to uni - the maturity level is noticeable, especially where I am right now. Grads seem to be a lot more chilled out!
    Growing up does not necessarily have to occur at university, and in fact I would argue that some are insulated from the real world whilst at University. My route is certainly not the right route for everyone, but I just do not like the idea that many Sixth Forms are telling their students that there next step is University and there are no other options, they do have other options.

Grads certainly are not more chilled out! I would certainly say that more Grads get stressed out by military life than School-leavers, several examples from my batch! I think it is easier to transition from School to Military Academy/Naval College as it has almost certainly long been set up to follow on from Sixth Form.

My advice to the OP is to sit down and take time to think through the options, join straight away as one of God's Chosen Midshipman or wait until completing a degree and join as a Sub-Lieutenant, you do have other options but only you can say what is the right one for you. The Navy is trying to attract more School-leavers into the Warfare Officer role, they traditionally stay longer and are the ones who will usually get to higher positions.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by v-st08)
    The Navy is trying to attract more School-leavers into the Warfare Officer role, they traditionally stay longer and are the ones who will usually get to higher positions.
    Can you provide evidence for these three claims please?

ReputationRep:
    Well the first comment is evident in the June edition of the Navy News, with reference to the comments made by the Commodore of Britannia Royal Naval College "people before they go to University," he further comments that later entry by Warfare Officers causes a clash in timing with personal life plans. If they stay in longer it is self evident that they are the only ones with the experience to get to Flag Rank, it takes a long time to "grow" an Admiral. Using a quick look at the Royal Navy website, around half of the Senior Naval Commanders have degrees, of which around half again were gained after completing initial officer training. Of the three Captains of the Royal Navy's largest ships (our two Aircraft Carriers and HMS OCEAN) two are school leavers and one gained a degree post Initial Officer Training.

The school leavers comment is, however, exclusively regarding Warfare Officers.

http://content.yudu.com/A182pb/navyn...-editions.aspx -Pages 14-15 "Britannia for the 21st Century"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.