Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    The comparison with Senior Officers is meaningless. They left school 20-30 years ago when only 10% or so of school leavers went on to university. Nowadays with the government pressing for 50% of school leavers to go on to university, not having a degree can put you at a professional disadvantage if you have to change career.

If you get the chance to look at enough senior officers' bio's you will see that an increasing number are getting Master's degrees (mainly via Staff College) in order to improve their career prospects (both in and out of the Service) and to prove academic ability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    If you get the chance to look at enough senior officers' bio's you will see that an increasing number are getting Master's degrees (mainly via Staff College) in order to improve their career prospects (both in and out of the Service) and to prove academic ability.
    Therein lies the point, degrees are available within the service, why go through the expense of getting one before joining, when a Masters is now possible (for Warfare Officers at least) when completing the PWO Course. If joining the Navy is definitely what you want to do, then think about getting the qualifications within the service.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by v-st08)
    Therein lies the point, degrees are available within the service, why go through the expense of getting one before joining, when a Masters is now possible (for Warfare Officers at least) when completing the PWO Course. If joining the Navy is definitely what you want to do, then think about getting the qualifications within the service.
    Because the early 'fit' years of your career are where the dangers lie in losing your med cat or failing courses and having insufficient value for the Service to keep you in. You then find yourself in your 20s with no degree and little or no genuine professional career to put on a CV, competing for jobs with people with degrees in xyz studies from places no-one has ever heard of and a couple of years in a shop. They are able to apply for graduate jobs, you aren't.

You also have to consider what the credibility of the degree is. There is already a lot of debate about the value of less traditional degrees. And degrees that are made up from military courses and experience plus part time modules have yet to be really tested in the job market.

Getting a Masters degree when you are a Sqn Ldr/Major/Lt Cdr is an entirely different career position.

I had a Shrivenham sponsored, part time, Masters degree but I also had two Gp Capts and a Brigadier tell me to foxtrot oscar when I asked for time to attend the compulsory residential sessions, to prep for exams etc. The Educators may have got the permissions to get people onto in-service degrees, but there is a very long way to go before it is accepted in the workplace as a reasonable use of Service time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Because the early 'fit' years of your career are where the dangers lie in losing your med cat or failing courses and having insufficient value for the Service to keep you in. You then find yourself in your 20s with no degree and little or no genuine professional career to put on a CV, competing for jobs with people with degrees in xyz studies from places no-one has ever heard of and a couple of years in a shop. They are able to apply for graduate jobs, you aren't.

You also have to consider what the credibility of the degree is. There is already a lot of debate about the value of less traditional degrees. And degrees that are made up from military courses and experience plus part time modules have yet to be really tested in the job market.

Getting a Masters degree when you are a Sqn Ldr/Major/Lt Cdr is an entirely different career position.

I had a Shrivenham sponsored, part time, Masters degree but I also had two Gp Capts and a Brigadier tell me to foxtrot oscar when I asked for time to attend the compulsory residential sessions, to prep for exams etc. The Educators may have got the permissions to get people onto in-service degrees, but there is a very long way to go before it is accepted in the workplace as a reasonable use of Service time.
    I do see your point there regarding a shoddy degree from an unknown university, however school leavers should not be forced into attending university for the sake of it. Many degrees that people are getting at the moment in exceptionally dubious subjects. In some essays I have marked the graduates for all their troubles, achieved a questionable degree with an even more questionable grasp of written English, unable to write a simple letter! (Really should be the basic level a graduate can achieve!)

I think that an In-Service degree, with military leadership skills and job experience would upon completion of the Honours degree modules put that candidate in a very good position in the job market, on a time scale conceivably upon the Return of Service. Although I'll admit that is of little use to those who are Medically Discharged or leave within the early period of training (in which case a non-graduate has more than enough time to apply for a university placement as 1-2 year Gap Years are common).

I honestly think that the entire country needs to review how it perceives degrees, we do not need a 50% graduate population (it just keeps more people off of the unemployment books!) And many jobs that claim to require a degree certainly do not, when I was leaving school the focus was on University and nothing else, there is a something else, and school leavers need to find the right career for them, and the right path for them to get there.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by v-st08)
    a Masters is now possible (for Warfare Officers at least) when completing the PWO Course..
    That is but one Branch - and what is the subject of the Masters?

ReputationRep:
    MSc Technology (Maritime operations) awarded by Kingston University, also applies for the SAW Course

http://www.enhancedlearningcredits.c...t=3&search=OGD

Admittedly it is one example, but there are others out there.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice.
    I am sure the RN is for me. I have wanted to join since I was 10. I am in the SCC and have been on HMS Ark Royal 3 times. I have experienced naval life and I am sure that it is the right career for me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.