Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it safe to drink a couple of pints of alcohol a day? watch

Announcements

I don't want to appear a raging alcoholic on TSR, so keep anon or delete.

What would be the overall long term effects if I did?

ReputationRep:
    Pints of beer/larger? The maximum guideline daily amount is 3-4 units, which is 2 pints.

Long-long term = Liver damage? Mouth and oesophageal cancer.

Short-long term = Weight gain, I'd imagine you'd build up a tolerance to it and need to drink more for it to effect you. Memory issues.

ReputationRep:
    The information provided on the maximum daily amount is useless, its basically a guess from the government.

ReputationRep:
    2 pints a day isn't healthy because alcohol isn't healthy. But it's going to better for you than binge drinking.

Medical experts recommend you have at least 1 alcohol free day a week.

So if you drink 2 pints a day but have a couple of days off a week then that wouldn't be too bad for you as long as you have a balanced diet and are getting at least 5 portions of your fruit and veg a day.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it can be a good thing. Risks of liver damage for sure long term.

ReputationRep:
    A couple of pints of alcohol would kill you. If you mean a couple of pints of beer then it probably won't do any harm, as long as the rest of your diet is healthy and you exercise. If the rest of your diet is poor, and you don't do much exercise then a couple of pints of beer could cause you to put on weight. Red wine is better for you, as it does have some good things in it, and doesn't have as many calories. You won't damage your liver by drinking two pints a day, but continuous and consistent consumption of alcohol may increase risk of mouth cancer, so it is best not to get into the habit of drinking habitually. Also, the bigger you are and the healthier you are, the more tolerance you have to alcohol. If you were short and weak then you would not be able to cope with as much alcohol, per day, as some one bigger and healthier.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    No it will eventually make your penis fall off.

But seriously, that's not too healthy, there are guidelines. However, judging from the amount of alcohol I've seen people consume around me (not raging alcoholics, just the type who enjoy a lunchtime pint and a few after work drink), it doesn't sound too nasty.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what type of alcohol.

Whisky would probably kill you lol Beer - not so bad. In the long run though, I'd guess it's quite bad for you.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you're happy to have a massive beer belly and crap memory, fire away.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a problem if you are dependent on it to enjoy yourself/feel relaxed/cope. Afterall, you can't have 2 pints a day forever, and what are you gonna do when you have to stop?

ReputationRep:
    It's probably better than going out and having 10 pints or more in one go...

well for first 4 months of uni i went out and got wasted bout 4nights a week...i dont drink beer but the alchol i did drink would of added up to way more units than a few beers would... and it hasnt harmed me... soooo i dont think it will do ya much damage really..jus maybe have a few days were you dont drink.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.