Turn on thread page Beta

What would you do? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I am a second year undergraduate at the University of Hull, studying English and Theology. This is the first year that I have lived away from home and really enjoyed the experience. However, I have experienced severe financial problems. I couldn't have no money in my bank account and £3000 worth of commercial debt. I withdrew from the university in February, but later decided to intercalate and return in September. I will have to repeat the year because I missed the deadline for two assignments due to the reasons above. This means that I will not graduate with the people who I started my degree with.

As a result, I have received no government finance since February. This has only increased my debt. I will receive no money until September, but this will be needed to cover accomodation. It is difficult to find a job at present. I have spoken to the Advice Centre at my university. They suggested negotiating with creditors, which I have managed to do. The deadline for the hardship fund has now passed.

If I claimed government benefits, I would receive Job Seeker's and Housing Benefit. Although this works out at less than a full time student, it does mean that there will be less expenses.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anon53)
    Hi guys,

I am a second year undergraduate at the University of Hull, studying English and Theology. This is the first year that I have lived away from home and really enjoyed the experience. However, I have experienced severe financial problems. I couldn't have no money in my bank account and £3000 worth of commercial debt. I withdrew from the university in February, but later decided to intercalate and return in September. I will have to repeat the year because I missed the deadline for two assignments due to the reasons above. This means that I will not graduate with the people who I started my degree with.

As a result, I have received no government finance since February. This has only increased my debt. I will receive no money until September, but this will be needed to cover accomodation. It is difficult to find a job at present. I have spoken to the Advice Centre at my university. They suggested negotiating with creditors, which I have managed to do. The deadline for the hardship fund has now passed.

If I claimed government benefits, I would receive Job Seeker's and Housing Benefit. Although this works out at less than a full time student, it does mean that there will be less expenses.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Many thanks
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if you intend to claim job seekers allowance whilst at university (if I've understood correctly) then the claim will be rejected by the jobcenter.

You can't claim JSA while you are a student.

Is there anybody at university you could discuss your money issues with, in the welfare department maybe?

ReputationRep:
    This is true. I am aware of this. Obviously claiming JSA would be an alternative to attending university.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.