The Student Room Group

Childish boyfriend.

I've been with my boyfriend since December and I do love him, he treats me amazingly and I can't imagine my life without him.

However he behaves in really annoying ways sometimes. I fell in love with the grown-up him, the normal him. But around me a lot of the time he puts on the most annoying childish voice, it's like he slips into it unintentionally. It's like a 'loved up' voice but it drives me mental.

He had a pretty idyllic childhood and still gets on really well with his parents and in a way, he sometimes just acts like a spoilt child. If I confront him about anything, he'll have a tantrum and sulk or put that stupid childish voice on. Sometimes it does feel like I'm with a 5 year old and I want him to stop behaving like that.

When I've confronted him about it and asked him to stop it, he's sulked and had a strop along with the justification "but it's part of me" etc, making me feel guilty for saying anything in the first place, and in exactly the same way a child would defiantly go BUT I NEED THE SWEETIES *CRY*

I have no idea how to get around this and what I should say to him to stop it. :frown:
Reply 1
Could you talk to his parents about it and see if they have noticed anything with him? Or does he just act this way to you?
Reply 2
Tell him, "If you don't stop you won't see my vagina!" :ahee:
Reply 3
Anonymous
I've been with my boyfriend since December and I do love him, he treats me amazingly and I can't imagine my life without him.

However he behaves in really annoying ways sometimes. I fell in love with the grown-up him, the normal him. But around me a lot of the time he puts on the most annoying childish voice, it's like he slips into it unintentionally. It's like a 'loved up' voice but it drives me mental.

He had a pretty idyllic childhood and still gets on really well with his parents and in a way, he sometimes just acts like a spoilt child. If I confront him about anything, he'll have a tantrum and sulk or put that stupid childish voice on. Sometimes it does feel like I'm with a 5 year old and I want him to stop behaving like that.

When I've confronted him about it and asked him to stop it, he's sulked and had a strop along with the justification "but it's part of me" etc, making me feel guilty for saying anything in the first place, and in exactly the same way a child would defiantly go BUT I NEED THE SWEETIES *CRY*

I have no idea how to get around this and what I should say to him to stop it. :frown:

Tell him that.

To be honest, he sounds insecure and manipulative. There's no reason why you should put up with behaviour that his parents do - you aren't his mother, your love for him isn't (and shouldn't) be unconditional. Sit him down and ask him to listen to you - say that you've been patient, but frankly his behaviour is immature, unattractive, and unecessary. Stress that a change in him will only make your relationship better, and both of you will be happier - he'll probably see your criticism as a threat at first.

Sometimes these things are made easier if you can make the individual actually hear themselves, though that's hard to do, short of recording him. He genuinely may not realise how immature he sounds when does this.
Reply 4
lnx
Tell him, "If you don't stop you won't see my vagina!" :ahee:

I agree with you, natural logarithm of ecks. :smile:
How old are you and him may I ask?
Reply 6
Have hard sex with him, that will drive out the inner child.
tell him that him sulking has a directly negative effect on your libido
Reply 8
Lidka
Tell him that.

To be honest, he sounds insecure and manipulative.

Haha, whaaaa???? He just has a little baby voice. Chill, bill......
Reply 9
ramzwj
Haha, whaaaa???? He just has a little baby voice. Chill, bill......

Anonymous

Sounds slightly more than a "baby voice" to me - more like a reaction to not getting what he wants.
Aha, I misread the thread title as Child Boyfriend. Sounds like the name of a quaint little sitcom.
Reply 11
He seems like a really nice person. I think it's as he said "but it's part of me". It's him. That's it. Just accept him as he is. You can't have the perfect boy friend.

Plus, he seems really playful. You would want that in someone. Trust me. Especially if you think of going further with him in the relationship.

Just accept him as he is. Maybe he doesn't like some things about you but he didn't say anything because it's "part" of you. That's how people are.

If you ask me, his childish peronality is a GOOD thing :smile:
Gr8
Have hard sex with him, that will drive out the inner child.

Doesn't work :no:
Reply 13
Near
He seems like a really nice person. I think it's as he said "but it's part of me". It's him. That's it. Just accept him as he is. You can't have the perfect boy friend.

Plus, he seems really playful. You would want that in someone. Trust me. Especially if you think of going further with him in the relationship.

Just accept him as he is. Maybe he doesn't like some things about you but he didn't say anything because it's "part" of you. That's how people are.

If you ask me, his childish peronality is a GOOD thing :smile:

doesn't sound as if its a part of him, its a bit naive to accept that. it sounds as if he's manipulating her into feeling guilty, thus getting what he wants and making her feel confused, bitter and upset.
Reply 14
whitepearlbaby
Doesn't work :no:

Well my future gf is in for a bad time then lol! :p:
Reply 15
Anonymous

You say he didn't act this way when you 1st met him then tell him this...let him know you didn't fall in love with the childish immature him. If he wants to be in a normal adult relationship he needs to start acting like it rather than stropping like a child whenever you say something he doesn't like. You shouldn't have to tip toe around him like this it's pathetic!!
He needs to work out if he wants to be childlike or be in a normal loving relationship as he can't have both! You sound too mature to be with someone like this! Playing kiss chase might be better suited to him !
Reply 16
MichaelG
doesn't sound as if its a part of him, its a bit naive to accept that. it sounds as if he's manipulating her into feeling guilty, thus getting what he wants and making her feel confused, bitter and upset.

I don't know why but that's not the idea I'm getting of him :/
Most 'issues' on H&R are so easy to solve, but people always seem to want to take the high road. Talk to him, tell him what you just told us. You love him but he sometimes annoys the **** out of you. I rather have someone directly telling me if we're having difficulties than writing it on some forum.
Talk to him about it...I had the same issue with my ex, he'd always act really childish and sarcastic when talking to me and it was SO annoying. At first it was funny but not when everytime I'd go to say something he'd just go off on a tangent. It started to make me feel REALLY ****, so I talked to him about it and he said he couldn't see the problem, and that it was a "part of him" so I said that I did understand his humour, just that it wasn't fun when he always did it because it felt like he didn't care what I had to say.

For example, I was talking about my exams once and I said I still had one to go and I was really worried about it and he was like "Your exams are over though, what are you talking about? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! YOURE FREE!!! You never have to step foot in college again!!!!!!!!!" and he wouldnt allow me to talk about them. It probably doesn't sound like much but being faced with stuff like that everytime I wanted to just have a normal conversation made me really upset. So yeah I said that it made me feel really small and like ****, and he said he'd try and cut down but he never did, in fact if anything it just got worse and I couldn't handle it so we ended up breaking up (it was for other reasons but not gonna lie, part of it was the fact that I felt like I couldnt have a proper conversation with him)

Yeaaah speak to him again. If he still says its just him tell him it's making you feel upset. Hope you get it sorted :\

Latest

Trending

Trending