Turn on thread page Beta

Buying my first guitar watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I was hoping to find someone to help me !

I've decided over the summer to give myself something to do, get some books and teach myself how to play the guitar. I know next to nothing about guitars. I don't think I've ever held one either!

I'm not looking to become advanced at it, just to fill in some time and teach myself a few songs, I've been looking on ebay and in the free ads, can anyone suggest how much I should be looking at paying ?

Also another question which really will make me sound like an idiot.. I'm left handed, but do some things right handed, with this I would strum with my land hand - will that make a difference ? :o:

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Are you looking for an electric or an acoustic?

Also, they make left handed guitars, so you should be fine with that.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go to a shop in person and pick out one you really like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    Are you looking for an electric or an acoustic?

Also, they make left handed guitars, so you should be fine with that.

So if I'd strum with my left hand that would make me left handed in guitar terms ?

Wanted to get an acoustic

ReputationRep:
    I'm selling a good electric guitar from a reputable quality brand. Give me a pm if you want a good deal.

ReputationRep:
    Soho has very good guitar shops.

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother buying one of those beginners kits, with like, a Strat Squier and 10 Watt amp, as they are the biggest bloody rip offs you will ever come across. I don't know how they can get away with selling something of that bad quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    So if I'd strum with my left hand that would make me left handed in guitar terms ?

Wanted to get an acoustic
    Yes, that would make you left handed in guitar terms. :p:

I'm not totally familiar with who makes good beginner acoustic guitars, though I have an Applause made by Ovation which was pretty cheap and is also a very high quality guitar. It was what I started with before I moved on to electric.

ReputationRep:
    Just a heads up...

If you're going to get an acoustic guitar you'll be creating pressure against STEEL strings. You're going to have to practice a lot until the ends of your fingertips have become hardened.. it's going to hurt pretty bad for a while. Also buy an electronic tuner.

Electric guitars are easier to learn and play but more costly.

Classical acoustics are acoustics which have nylon? strings which aren't going to hurt the end of your fingers. The sound is pretty different though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    Yes, that would make you left handed in guitar terms. :p:

I'm not totally familiar with who makes good beginner acoustic guitars, though I have an Applause made by Ovation which was pretty cheap and is also a very high quality guitar. It was what I started with before I moved on to electric.

I'm aware I sound like an idiot lol so thank you for you non-micky-taking reply!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Daisy-Rock-Pix...A30%7C294%3A50

what does that one look like to anyone who vaugely knows what they're on about ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Altruistic1)
    Just a heads up...

If you're going to get an acoustic guitar you'll be creating pressure against STEEL strings. You're going to have to practice a lot until the ends of your fingertips have become hardened.. it's going to hurt pretty bad for a while. Also buy an electronic tuner.

Classical acoustics are acoustics which have nylon? strings which aren't going to hurt the end of your fingers. The sound is pretty different though.

Hmm that has just thrown a spanner in my works...

Also, what's an 'electro acoustic' ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mute)
    Don't bother buying one of those beginners kits, with like, a Strat Squier and 10 Watt amp, as they are the biggest bloody rip offs you will ever come across. I don't know how they can get away with selling something of that bad quality.
    well quality doesn't matter when you're picking up the guitar for the very first time.

ReputationRep:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HALF-SEMI-ACOU...A31%7C294%3A50

That ones pretty..

ReputationRep:
    I'm aware I sound like an idiot lol so thank you for you non-micky-taking reply!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Daisy-Rock-Pix...A30%7C294%3A50

what does that one look like to anyone who vaugely knows what they're on about ?
    To be honest, that's probably not a very good choice. I wouldn't go for the guitars that are designed to look girly, because they sell by looks rather than quality. Not that you're after something that's profoundly high quality, but you want something decent.

*Edit* But then again, I've heard that Daisy Rock guitars aren't bad. So it could be good, I dunno. :P

ReputationRep:
    That ones pretty..
    It's also right handed.

An electro acoustic is like a normal acoustic (although sometimes are a little smaller in terms of depth), with a pickup (a small device which similar to a microphone) inside it which allows you to plug it in to a guitar amplifier.

This guitar is a traditional "Dreadnought" style acoustic. It is left handed too, and is pretty cheap.

Be wary though that if you're a small person, you might find dreadnought style guitars a little cumbersome. It's also worth noting that smaller guitars will carry less sound, and usually have a thinner tone to them.

Having a look around, there's very little in the left handed budget guitar range. I'd really recommend going to a guitar shop and talking to the staff there, have a try with both left and right handed guitars, see which feels less alien to you.

If you've any other questions, feel free to ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Altruistic1)
    Just a heads up...

Classical guitars are indeed nylon stringed, however they also have wider and flatter necks (as opposed to the thin and convex necks of electric and acoustic guitars) with higher strings (i.e the distance between the fretboard and the strings is greater). So you will have to push down harder to make the note and generally stretch further.

Classical guitars are made to have the purest possible sound with the greatest sustain whereas acoustics (esp cheaper ones) are designed to be as loud as possible.

Contrary to popular belief you WILL hurt your left (non-strumming) fingers playing a classical because of the extra pressure required, you are more likely to do in your strumming/ picking hand on an acoustic.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Careful with the left-handed thing. I am left-handed but have always played a guitar right handed. I wasn't aware 'left-handed' guitars existed when I started but tried one a bit after and it felt really wrong. Try out a left and right handed guitar before buying one.

ReputationRep:
    It's already been pointed out but don't buy a real cheap guitar because it looks good whilst sounding woeful.

ReputationRep:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HALF-SEMI-ACOU...A31%7C294%3A50

That ones pretty..
    I personally wouldn't go for anything that doesn't have a visible indication of make. Especially without being able to test it before buying.

I started out on a Yamaha Pacifica, and am now playing on a Ibanez G10 GRG 170 DX. I'd recommend either one, if you can find a left-handed version, though they are both electric guitars, and the Pacifica is probably classed as a better starter guitar.

I love my G10. The neck is slightly longer, because it has 24 frets as opposed to 21. This isn't true for all G10s however.

People also tell me Fender Strats are a solid make of guitar.

But yeah, I'd suggest going to a shop instead of buying online. Might be a bit more expensive, but you can at least see there and then what you're getting, and they'll have no issue with you testing the product first.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard good things about Ovation acoustics (and I've played an electro acoustic of theirs, it was nice) but my first acoustic was a fender. Decent guitar. And yeah, getting a guitar from a shop is better than one online, since you can actually try them out.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.