Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Buying my first guitar Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    Hmm that has just thrown a spanner in my works...

Also, what's an 'electro acoustic' ?
    An acoustic guitar which is also able to be plugged into an amp

ReputationRep:
    I also started on a Pacifica, I can't stand the bloody thing. The wiring was so shoddy that even after numerous rewiring it continues to break. The neck and tremolo arm are so awkward feeling as well.

I'm with you on Ibanez, my S520Ex is beautiful.

My acoustic is a Norman, no idea what model, but it sounds lovely. I've scratched the finish up a bit but so long as it sounds the same who cares?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    If you're just starting out there's really nothing better than going into a guitar shop and asking for advice. If you go to a small, local type place, they're more likely to give you genuinely good advice than they are to push sales onto you, so it's worth a try. Bear in mind, though, that learning to play guitar is extremely frustrating at first (especially if you're not being taught it), but you'll learn to love it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    If you're just starting out there's really nothing better than going into a guitar shop and asking for advice. If you go to a small, local type place, they're more likely to give you genuinely good advice than they are to push sales onto you, so it's worth a try. Bear in mind, though, that learning to play guitar is extremely frustrating at first (especially if you're not being taught it), but you'll learn to love it

Hope so I'll give the local shoppy a go tomorrow then.

Yea I'm not planning to do any gigging or anything or expecting to become semi-professional after 3 months lol. It's just for my own personal enjoyment, it will be a looong summer otherwise as I can't find a job!

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest why are some so cheap ? Like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PALMA-4-4-SIZE...A16%7C294%3A50

ReputationRep:
    Because they're **** usually.

As with most thing, price goes up in direct correlation with quality.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest why are some so cheap ? Like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PALMA-4-4-SIZE...A16%7C294%3A50
    It'll be made out of a cheap tone wood. If a tone wood at all. Maybe it's MDF...

ReputationRep:
    Don't buy a "left handed guitar," it's completely unnecessary.
    Strum/pick with your right hand like every right hand guitarist does, if anything you'll be at an advantage (especially in acoustic guitar if your just picking chords, I suppose it's more of a debatable point when it comes to classical) because your dominant hand (your left hand) will be doing the more dexterous work on the fingerboard anyway.
    I've found that although I'm right handed, I now use my left hand more dominantly! So your starting in a good place if your already left handed.

Oh, and get a steel string guitar if your looking to play the guitar for fun. It's cheaper (well, you'll get better quality for less) and it'll sound better in the early stages.
    I'm a classical guitarist, and I love it (nylon strings) but I'd never use my guitar for anything other then classical, not to "learn a few songs."

ReputationRep:
    Also, and I'll probably get neg repped for this, but...
    I'd just go for a cheap one if I was you. I used a cheap guitar for the first year of my playing, and to be honest in the early stages its your playing not the guitar that will effect how you sound. I get so pissed off with "guitarists," who haven't developed their technique yet enough complain about their "guitars," being ****, when it's clear that even a much more expensive guitar would make no significant difference to their sound until they've conquered a few more technical hills.
    Sorry guys.

Enjoy your musical journey

ReputationRep:
    I started playing guitar at christmas, my gf bought me my very first guitar, which is a Vintage acoustic it retails about £260-ish.

Since xmas i have been playing with it quite a lot, and i do now know a majority of the chords - but it is a very difficult to begin with, it does need quite a lot of dedication - aforementioned by other posters your fingers will hurt from the outset, and they damn kill even after ten minutes of playing!

Once you get familiar with strum patters, chords and learn your very first song it doesn't half give you a buzz!

Seven months I'm still very much learning, I'm not very fast and often have to think between chords where i have to put my fingers next, which is a pain as sometimes there is no fluency - I can roughly play about five or six songs to give you an idea where I am at.

Best of luck and enjoy playing your new guitar!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plath89)
    I'd just go for a cheap one if I was you. I used a cheap guitar for the first year of my playing, and to be honest in the early stages its your playing not the guitar that will effect how you sound. I get so pissed off with "guitarists," who haven't developed their technique yet enough complain about their "guitars," being ****, when it's clear that even a much more expensive guitar would make no significant difference to their sound until they've conquered a few more technical hills.
    Sorry guys.
    Nope, this is spot on. Spend some time before you spend some money. The guitar has the advantage compared to many instruments in that you don't need to make a big initial investment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plath89)
    Sorry guys.

Enjoy your musical journey
    I think out of everyones I like yours best think I might just go for that cheapo £50 one I posted the link to earlier. I've never even held a guitar and if it turns out I hate it with a passion then for £50 it's worth a try I think. Thanks for your brutal honesty :p:
    Hopefully I shall enjoy my journey, thank you

Edit: and if it sucks I can always stick the thing back on ebay!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/left..._guitar?page=2

i got that as im a lefty too,.. theres an option for an entire starter set that costs less than £300 i think! THeres also next day delivery!

I havent actually played it in so long as i got it with the same intention as yours, but eventually found things to do to pass the time!

Im gonna bring it to uni though for the same reason as before!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/...d-100-lh/69408 i would buy that, but im a bit of a Fender fan-boy.

ReputationRep:
    Don't spend a lot on your first guitar.

ReputationRep:
    What's all this 3/4 sized guitar business I keep seeing ?

ReputationRep:
    Get a cheap one. Buy a better guitar when you are better. In my opinion, to get a good guitar you need to be looking to spend around £3-400 used and a bit higher if new. But there's no point in spending £200 on a "good" guitar if you decide not to learn after 6 months.

Like some others have said - I would advise starting on classical, although admittedly I think it would be a bit harder to learn it on your own than acoustic/electric, but certainly possible.

ReputationRep:
    What's all this 3/4 sized guitar business I keep seeing ?
    Just smaller. Stay away - it's easy to play a smaller guitar when you play full size but the opposite isn't strictly true.

ReputationRep:
    Try with some of these three guitar models, excellent guitars for not so much (Better to buy something with good quality now, a guitar that you could use for ages!). I strongly recomend the seagull out of this three:

Seagull S6 (£369.00)

http://www.guitar.co.uk/seagull_guit...coustic_guitar

Takamine G340 (£219.00)

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/produc...ha-fg700s.html

Fender CD-140S (£126.00)

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~...0S~ID~4693.asp

Check out these three models, and don´t just trust me. Try them out at the guitar store and see If you find them comfortable and If you like their sound, it´s the best way to choose a guitar. Tell me If I can help you anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Threadstarter, you should basically just ignore this thread. The amount of crap advice is absolutely astonishing. I'm not sure how some people can give advice when they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

Summary;

1. All of the guitars you have looked at are absolute trash. Not even just bad, I'm talking the worst guitars that you can buy.

2. Stop thinking about how pretty it is. You'll be known as a stupid bint with a crap looking crap sounding guitar.

3. Also ignore any advice that you've been given regarding guitars (lmao @ the Fender suggestion. Wow.)

4. You want a full size guitar. 3/4 size is for small people.

5. Register here; www.ultimate-guitar.com

Visit the acoustic and classical subforum. In there is everything you need. Plus, me and the other regulars actually know what we are talking about. We've got about 100 years playing experience between 7/8 of us - and I can guarantee we'll help you find something better than the rubbish being thrown around so far!

Edit: ^^ Decent advice guy above me, but that Fender is balls. All modern Fender acoustics are horrible guitars. OP if you don't end up with a Yamaha FG720s I'd be surprised.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.