Turn on thread page Beta

Buying my first guitar watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    Hi

I was hoping to find someone to help me !

I've decided over the summer to give myself something to do, get some books and teach myself how to play the guitar. I know next to nothing about guitars. I don't think I've ever held one either!

I'm not looking to become advanced at it, just to fill in some time and teach myself a few songs, I've been looking on ebay and in the free ads, can anyone suggest how much I should be looking at paying ?

Also another question which really will make me sound like an idiot.. I'm left handed, but do some things right handed, with this I would strum with my land hand - will that make a difference ? :o:

Thanks
    Fender Squier Strats are excellent first guitars in my opinion. It's an electric, although I think they do an accoustic range aswell. They're about £150, although you'd almost definately get one for less. And they come with an amp. It's perfect.

Also look on eBay, guitars are great to get second hand. You'll probably get one for next to nothing.

ReputationRep:
    i have only heard good things about Ovation acoustics, i am getting in to electric guitar personally.
    i am a lifer and i want to get good, i've been looking at an Ibanez RG370DX does anyone know if this is a good one?,
    it'll be my first guitar and as im self taught i dont really know what to look for, at the mo im using my dads pacifica 112

ReputationRep:
    I'd say get a nice Yamaha acoustic, because some of them come up with some training DVD's for beginners, so you can learn some nice riffs from there..
    I'd definitely say no more than £175, as you may get frustrated and want to return the guitar.

And since getting used to the steel strings of an acoustic guitar, I'd recommend a classical guitar, as they have nylon strings. I think you can get some good ones for only £80, and then if you do like playing the guitar, you can move on to getting a proper acoustic, with steel strings, and electric guitar (if you wish).

Hope I have helped.

(Btw, the guitar with a training DVD that I got was a Yamaha FD-02.)

Reviews here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CE.Guy)
    I'd say get a nice Yamaha acoustic, because some of them come up with some training DVD's for beginners, so you can learn some nice riffs from there..
    I'd definitely say no more than £175, as you may get frustrated and want to return the guitar.

And since getting used to the steel strings of an acoustic guitar, I'd recommend a classical guitar, as they have nylon strings. I think you can get some good ones for only £80, and then if you do like playing the guitar, you can move on to getting a proper acoustic, with steel strings, and electric guitar (if you wish).

Hope I have helped.

(Btw, the guitar with a training DVD that I got was a Yamaha FD-02.)

Reviews here.
    I love how classical guitars are deemed to be beginners instruments and Acoustics and Electrics are "proper" guitars.

Just cracks me up! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    One of the main problems with buying a first guitar, is thinking its better to get a cheap guitar first of all to see if you like it. Cheap guitars are 99% of the time harder to play with strings that are too high above the fretboard and with the guitar not being able to stay in tune. Which if your buying to "see if you like it" is going to put you off straight away.

You have a choice between electric, acoustic and classical guitar.

Classical guitars are going to be much easier on your fingertips as they have nylon strings, but the width of the neck and the height of the strings can make it harder to hold chords. But they have a warmer sound which is good for playing with your fingers and not a pick.

Acoustic guitar, can be hard on your hands until you get used to it, but they are the best for portability.

Electric guitars are probably the most easy to play and the most versatile. They are also pretty cheap but you have to buy an amp to if you want it to be reasonably loud. But you cant take it down to the park and things like that in the summer if you want to play outside.

I personally would say to get an acoustic depending on what you want to play (im assuming its strumming chords first of all). I would say something like this would be ideal http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/baby/9130 Now thats a small "travel" guitar but its made by taylor which means the quality is going to be spot on and it will have decent sound quality as well as being small and portable.

I learnt on a classical guitar for years, but now play mainly jazz electric and fingerstyle acoustic.

I would also be wary about going to a music shop on your own, you dont want to be taken for a ride from an "expert". I would consider finding someone who knows about guitars and taking them with you.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Last point I forgot to mention, those guitars on ebay will be utter rubbish! If you buy a better 'branded' guitar when you learn they will have a much better resale value later.

Spending £80 on a crap guitar that is going to obsolete in a couple of months, both if you love/hate playing the guitar i see as illogical.

ReputationRep:
    I've been playing guitar for about a year now and I bought a Washburn D10S to start with.
    It plays really well and has a solid sitka spruce top which gives a great sound quality and mahogany everywhere else.
    I read a review before I bought it that said it would be hard to get one of the same quality under £500.
    You can pick one up on GAK for £136 which is a good and I got one of my basses off there and they do a good service.
    Last year I got mine with a hard case off ebay for £149.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunburnedCactus)
    Nope, this is spot on. Spend some time before you spend some money. The guitar has the advantage compared to many instruments in that you don't need to make a big initial investment.
    Thanks

(Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    I think out of everyones I like yours best think I might just go for that cheapo £50 one I posted the link to earlier. I've never even held a guitar and if it turns out I hate it with a passion then for £50 it's worth a try I think. Thanks for your brutal honesty :p:
    Hopefully I shall enjoy my journey, thank you

Edit: and if it sucks I can always stick the thing back on ebay!
    Actualy, before you do even that, it might be worth asking round a few friends/family to see if anyone has a dusty acoustic guitar stuffed away in their attic-you'd be surprised by the number of people who own a guitar and don't play it, that way you could borrow one for a few weeks and try out whether its the right instrument for you (fingers crossed you do get bitten by the guitar bug!) before you buy.

Jimi Hendrix allegedly started on a sweeping broom with strings tied on...

ReputationRep:
    I started learning last week for the exact same reason- I was given a legacy acoustic (not sure what model) which I know cost about 150pound last year.

I can tell you that once you get over the pains and aches steel strings bring- there are few more rewarding experiences. :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    I love how classical guitars are deemed to be beginners instruments and Acoustics and Electrics are "proper" guitars.

Just cracks me up! :rolleyes:
    I didn't say that, as they all have the same notes, don't they?

I said that I'd recommend them as there's just too much of a harsh difference to go from not playing guitar to playing on steel strings, as you need time for your fingers to develop to playing on the guitar.

There all "proper" guitars, as you call them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CE.Guy)
    I didn't say that, as they all have the same notes, don't they?
    Technically, no. Acoustics and electrics have more frets on their necks, and so have a larger range.

But I'm just being really pedantic here...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Technically, no. Acoustics and electrics have more frets on their necks, and so have a larger range.

But I'm just being really pedantic here...
    To be REALLY pedantic there are plenty of acoustic with 12 fret necks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lapis lazuli)
    To be REALLY pedantic there are plenty of acoustic with 12 fret necks

I was referring to classical guitars. :p:

ReputationRep:
    a 36 fret occurs

oh the horror

ReputationRep:

I was referring to classical guitars. :p:
    So am I, im pointing out that Classical guitars can sometimes have more frets than acoustic and electric So it they actually are all the same notes.

ReputationRep:
    a 36 fret occurs

oh the horror
    :woo:

Why oh why oh why?

Looks like me and Lapiz can both shut up after that!

ReputationRep:
    :woo:

Why oh why oh why?

Looks like me and Lapiz can both shut up after that!
    "Time for a solo only dogs can hear" :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    "Time for a solo only dogs can hear" :facepalm2:
    Matt Bellamy eat your heart out!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.