Turn on thread page Beta

Is it too 'cool not to care' in England(and Europe)? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does that culture hold us back? Think of it this way, e.g- American film bought up all distribution and monopolises the industry. Why?
    Well, it's a 'macrocosm' if you will of a wider phenomenon. Namely, our suspicion, self-interest and its' cool not to care mentality. The whole ethos is to be seen not to try, especially in England, and there is huge cynicism about idealism or pushing for common/patriotic goals. It's also generally cool not to care and be seen as 'needing validation'. The American model blows this complacency out of the water IMO. They didn't dominate technology or films or talk about patriotism or common goals by acting like they don't care.

Anyway, what do you think, is there a mentality that makes us anti-competitive?

ReputationRep:
    I think this is serious enough to warrant discussion.

ReputationRep:
    Meh. I spose.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Um no i think whats more important is that USA is far bigger so will obviously dominate many industries..

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Europe isn't bothered at all. The Euro was created in order to help the European countries complete with the huge global powers of today and the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillaxer)
    Does that culture hold us back? Think of it this way, e.g- American film bought up all distribution and monopolises the industry. Why?
    Well, it's a 'macrocosm' if you will of a wider phenomenon. Namely, our suspicion, self-interest and its' cool not to care mentality. The whole ethos is to be seen not to try, especially in England, and there is huge cynicism about idealism or pushing for common/patriotic goals. It's also generally cool not to care and be seen as 'needing validation'. The American model blows this complacency out of the water IMO. They didn't dominate technology or films or talk about patriotism or common goals by acting like they don't care.

Anyway, what do you think, is there a mentality that makes us anti-competitive?
    While it's true that the US has (probably a deserved) reputation for the personal drive and patriotism of its citizens, I think you exaggerate the converse situation in the UK and Europe.

British people, and Europeans for that matter do care about their community and volunteer and give to charities (I think the UK is one of the more generous countries in that respect - in terms of private contributions).

Your film example isn't really enough to pin an argument on. They dominate because of having the biggest domestic market to begin with, and also because audiences like to see films set in exotic places (to non-Americans) like the USA. The British film industry does produce successful films but it is more of a niche industry in the gobal context.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.