Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Psychology As level...Is it a 'soft subjuect'...or is it really hard? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    did you do AQA (A) or AQA (B)
    I did AQA A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    i see you are doing aqa a psychology, is it 100% exams and no cswk? are you using any particular textbooks? if so which ones - its just that i think i might self teach the whole alevel in one year if I have to reapply for uni.
    Yes, the new spec is 100% examination. For AS level we used the Nelson Thornes textbook and the Psychology AS by Mike Cardwell and Cara Flanagan. For A2 we use Psychology for A2 Level by Michael W. Eysenck, Cara Flanagan and Psychology A2 by Mike Cardwell, Cara Flanagan. They have more than enough information for the A level.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology's not as easy as people who don't do it like to believe.
    I took Psychology AS this year and it's a lot more challenging than i expected. There's a whole bunch of theories and complex studies you have to learn and be able to evaluate and blah blah blah. I can't be bothered with going into a lot of detail, but take it from me that it's not a soft option. Out of the 3 A-levels i'm doing it's my worst subject, expect to spend more time revising for it than anything thing else and still only get an average grade. Or at least, that's how it was from my experience. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I did the new AQA A spec and compared to my other AS subjects (chemistry, physics and maths) it was really easy, but a lot of people in my class found it their hardest subject - most of them were doing subjects like sociology, English, law, business studies, photography etc.

I enjoyed cognitive psychology, psychopathology and a few parts of developmental and biological psychology. There were more things I found interesting and enjoyable than things I found boring! I have a good memory so it wasn't too difficult for me to remember case studies etc. once I'd gone over them a couple of times.

Physics is definitely harder but I found most of that course (AQA A again) quite interesting as well. I'm continuing both to A2.

ReputationRep:
    it is literally just remembering everything word for word

if you want to get a good mark then you really need to go into the exam being able to resite a whole psychology text book - i got A's doing that and everybody else got U's

it is incredibly boring trying to remember everything and if thats not how you like to learn then i wouldnt do it

ReputationRep:
    it depend on if you want to apply to one of the better universities

physics is generally accepted as being one of the hardest and most respected A-levels but obviously it is no good taking this if you are no good/do not enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy2494)
    it depend on if you want to apply to one of the better universities

physics is generally accepted as being one of the hardest and most respected A-levels but obviously it is no good taking this if you are no good/do not enjoy it
    See the date of the last post on this thread? It was over a year ago. That means don't bump it.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,( its the OP here)....since someone has already bumped it about 1 year....
    i just got an email notification from this post (about 6 months on! LOL)
    I thought i would update it just to help anyone else who comes across this thread in google.

I did take psychology in the end and i am glad i did, In my January exam (AQA A) I got an A - The highest in my shchool lol
    It is a very interesting subject and very little people in my class found it boring.
    The main thing is just to understand what the teachers is saying throughout the year
    and then when it come to revision just memorise the book. - When other people told me psychology was all about memorising the book i thought they were exaggerating but they weren't!

Overall it is time consuming during the exam time and it is the one i spent most time revising for. Its very similar to geography.
    Anyone who is interested in the stuff you learn will be fine!

thanks for the help everyone!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=nuodai;20065770]-QUOTE]

thanks for the useful info

ReputationRep:
    I don't think i'll be taking psychology... I have a terrible memory.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think i'll be taking psychology, since my memory is pretty bad.

ReputationRep:
    Soft like butter, its a joke. Only people who say its hard are people who did easier subjects with it.

The only good thing is 'Calling a blue slide green'.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.