Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

If I go to Uni on the 1st October, will I be able to go to a gig on the 8th? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to go to York but there's a probably once-in-a-lifetime gig going on in London on Thursday the 8th. Does anything actually happen during those first weeks, or would I be free to go?

ReputationRep:
    Whats the gig?

ReputationRep:
    Reformed Pixies!

ReputationRep:
    Im doing a similar thing with Muse. Not from York though, thats quite a distance to get back for the morning, just plan the trains well or drive at stupid o'clock through the night.

ReputationRep:
    its first year uni,

If thats the only day you miss then you have done better than 99% of others! you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    So does anything important and official actually happen during those first weeks? That I'd be obliged not to miss?

ReputationRep:
    Unless you have a tutorial, but that seems doubtful because it's just your first week.
    Go to the gig, it sounds amazing!

ReputationRep:
    It should be fine, is that week your freshers week then? most of the uni things will happen earlier on in the week like registration- getting your student id.
    Like someone else said above just make sure you've sorted out train times and are able to get back.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you'll be fine. I did exactly the same in my first week.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to the same gig! I'll be heading down to London from Birmingham and I neither know nor care what's going to be going on that week. Nothing is going to stop me seeing Pixies!

ReputationRep:
    Lol most people have ditched more than one day :p:
    Go if you don't have something important in uni to do.
    The thing is, it's your choice as you have the freedom to do what you want, be it responsibly or not.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    If you start uni on the 1st October, and if Fresher's week is a week long, then all the important stuff (aside from enrolment, etc.) will start on the 8th won't it? Introductory lectures, meeting tutors (if you have them), that sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    Is this the University of York? Because if it is, term starts on the 12th.

ReputationRep:
    It's Uni, not prison :-)

Do what you want.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.