Not Meeting Conditional Offers

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Peter Windridge
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I know quite a few people who are at University lurk here, so I thought I'd ask, how many people
have missed their conditional offers and still got their place at University?

Was anyone made an AAB offer but got AAC?

Thanks.
Peter Windridge
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Also, has anyone ever got on to a course at Warwick other than the one they applied for after their
results came through?
Andy Tucker
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Peter Windridge" <[email protected] m> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> I know quite a few people who are at University lurk here, so I thought[/q1]
I'd
[q1]> ask, how many people have missed their conditional offers and still got their place at University?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Was anyone made an AAB offer but got AAC?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Not quite, but I was made an ABB offer and got AAC. I know somebody though who was made a BBC offer
and still got the place with BDE.

Andy
Ray Pang
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> I know quite a few people who are at University lurk here, so I thought[/q1]
I'd
[q1]> ask, how many people have missed their conditional offers and still got their place at University?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Was anyone made an AAB offer but got AAC?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Thanks.[/q1]

I was made AAA with Step Grade 2, I think (might have been AAB), and I got AAAA but only Step grade
3, but I was still let in.
Chris Share
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Sun, 7 Jul 2002 13:05:37 +0100s, Peter Windridge(pjw62 @pleasedontspam.yahoo.com) said...
[q1]>I know quite a few people who are at University lurk here, so I thought I'd ask, how many people[/q1]
[q1]>have missed their conditional offers and still got their place at University?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Was anyone made an AAB offer but got AAC?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Thanks.[/q1]

I know someone who got an AAB offer but got in with BBB.

chris
Peter Windridge
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Ahh thanks Chris and Ray... there's hope for me yet I am expecting AAAC (and have an A 'AS'), but
the extra A wasn't part of my offer ;(. I searched through aua with google and it seems it is more
or less a lottery on whether I will get a place unless I miss my offer.

Do Warwick ever have places through clearing? I read somewhere on their website 'rarely' or
something.

Thanksm Peter.

"Chris Share" <[email protected] > wrote in message
[q1]> On Sun, 7 Jul 2002 13:05:37 +0100s, Peter Windridge(pjw62 @pleasedontspam.yahoo.com) said...[/q1]
[q2]> >I know quite a few people who are at University lurk here, so I thought[/q2]
I'd
[q2]> >ask, how many people have missed their conditional offers and still got their place at[/q2]
[q2]> >University?[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >Was anyone made an AAB offer but got AAC?[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >Thanks.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I know someone who got an AAB offer but got in with BBB.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> chris[/q1]
Davido
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> I was made AAA with Step Grade 2, I think (might have been AAB), and I got AAAA but only Step[/q1]
[q1]> grade 3, but I was still let in.[/q1]

Leniency greatly varies with university. These days if Cambridge ask for AAA & STEP 1, you get AAA &
STEP 2, they may not let you in.

For a uni like Warwick, getting AAC instead of ABB should often be fine as your A Level points score
is the same, especially if the C's in the least relevant subject. If you get AAC instead of AAB
it'll be very touch and go if they'll let you in or not, depending on their intake etc.

As you go down the rankings, leniency increases. I think Durham's surprisingly lenient, I know
someone who was asked for BBC and got in with BDN.

Around the mid-table positions, being asked for e.g. CCC and in fact getting CDD is usually
allowable. At the bottom end, take Teesside for example - I know people asked for CC who got EU and
were let in.
Ray Pang
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> Ahh thanks Chris and Ray... there's hope for me yet I am expecting AAAC (and have an A 'AS'),[/q1]
[q1]> but the extra A wasn't part of[/q1]
my
[q1]> offer ;(. I searched through aua with google and it seems it is more or less a[/q1]
lottery
[q1]> on whether I will get a place unless I miss my offer.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Do Warwick ever have places through clearing? I read somewhere on their website 'rarely' or[/q1]
[q1]> something.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Thanksm Peter.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

It depends what course you are asking about. For straight Maths, the answer is very few. There is a
huge amount of demand for places, and every place is filled. There are a few places sometimes when
people decide they don't want to do it anymore.
Peter Windridge
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Ray, have most people doing Maths at Warwick got AAAA+STEP ? Do you know much about the 'MORSE'
programme?

Thanks

"Ray Pang" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> "Peter Windridge" <[email protected] m> wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]> news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]> > Ahh thanks Chris and Ray... there's hope for me yet I am expecting AAAC (and have an A 'AS'),[/q2]
[q2]> > but the extra A wasn't part of[/q2]
[q1]> my[/q1]
[q2]> > offer ;(. I searched through aua with google and it seems it is more or less a[/q2]
[q1]> lottery[/q1]
[q2]> > on whether I will get a place unless I miss my offer.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Do Warwick ever have places through clearing? I read somewhere on their website 'rarely' or[/q2]
[q2]> > something.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Thanksm Peter.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> It depends what course you are asking about. For straight Maths, the[/q1]
answer
[q1]> is very few. There is a huge amount of demand for places, and every place[/q1]
is
[q1]> filled. There are a few places sometimes when people decide they don't[/q1]
want
[q1]> to do it anymore.[/q1]
Davido
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> Ray, have most people doing Maths at Warwick got AAAA+STEP ?[/q1]

lol, I seriously doubt it - Times A Level Points score for Warwick Maths suggests the average person
has AAB - AAA. Even for the top

[q3]> > > Do Warwick ever have places through clearing? I read somewhere on their website 'rarely' or[/q3]
[q3]> > > something.[/q3]

Unlikely for Maths. No chance for English. My cousin managed to get Economics @ Warwick through
clearing last year, however.
Ray Pang
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> Ray, have most people doing Maths at Warwick got AAAA+STEP ? Do you know much about the 'MORSE'[/q1]
[q1]> programme?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Thanks[/q1]

Nearly all (if not all) people doing straight Maths have AAA/AAB with Step.

I have a couple of friends doing the MORSE course. It's not far off maths at all. In the first year
they do a lot of courses that we do, albeit at different times. They are also required to do a few
economics courses.

In the second year it comes down to choice. One of my friends does about 50-50 split between
maths/stats and econ. The other does about 70 maths and 30 econ. I'm not sure what's core, but I'll
find out if you like.

Either way, MORSE is very much related to Maths, and that means the daily trek up the hill to Gibbet
Hill in the first year. Fortunately the new Maths bulding should be ready for freshers in a couple
of years, and it's on main campus, next to the DCS building.
Ray Pang
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Davido" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[q2]> > Ray, have most people doing Maths at Warwick got AAAA+STEP ?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> lol, I seriously doubt it - Times A Level Points score for Warwick Maths suggests the average[/q1]
[q1]> person has AAB - AAA. Even for the top[/q1]

LOL? Don't believe everything you read in the papers. I think you'll find that pretty much everybody
doing Maths has that sort of grade. STEP is essential, and AAB is the bare minimum for maths.
Nif
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> Leniency greatly varies with university. These days if Cambridge ask for AAA & STEP 1, you get AAA[/q1]
[q1]> & STEP 2, they may not let you in.[/q1]

What's Step? Why have I never heard of it?

nif
Davido
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> LOL? Don't believe everything you read in the papers. I think you'll find that pretty much[/q1]
[q1]> everybody doing Maths has that sort of grade. STEP is essential, and AAB is the bare minimum[/q1]
[q1]> for maths.[/q1]

http://www.times-archive.co.uk/onlin...thematics.html

11 Warwick 22 5 B 5* A 5* B 29.0 88.4

So the average A Level points score for 3 A Levels for this year's Maths graduates at Warwick is
29. This should mean that for every 2 people one has AAA, one has AAB. However whether you have AAA
or AAAAA your points score is 30. I don't know if GS is included as one of the three subjects.
Anyway, the 29 shows that maybe 50% of the students have AAB, the rest have AAA or better,
[assuming nobody has ABB].
Peter Windridge
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
For maths, comes in three flavours, STEP I,II,III. Possible grades S,1,2,3 Errmm.. there are 14
questions (I think), about 6 alphas required for an S. Each question is marked out of 20, and your
best 6 questions are taken (total out of 120). Each question can be marked as an alpha or beta, an
alpha being a more or less complete answer, a beta containing only part of a question. I think "more
difficult" is not the right description, but it is a case of different approach than to A level
maths. Like Further Maths, not many schools allow their pupils to sit the papers. I dont know why.

Note that the above is only from what I have gathered from looking at past papers scrounged from a
pupil at a clever school.

"nif" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> > Leniency greatly varies with university. These days if Cambridge ask for AAA & STEP 1, you get[/q2]
[q2]> > AAA & STEP 2, they may not let you in.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> What's Step? Why have I never heard of it?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> nif[/q1]
Ray Pang
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> For maths, comes in three flavours, STEP I,II,III. Possible grades S,1,2,3 Errmm.. there are 14[/q1]
[q1]> questions (I think), about 6 alphas required for an[/q1]
S.
[q1]> Each question is marked out of 20, and your best 6 questions are taken (total out of 120). Each[/q1]
[q1]> question can be marked as an alpha or beta, an alpha being a more or less complete answer, a beta[/q1]
[q1]> containing only part of[/q1]
a
[q1]> question. I think "more difficult" is not the right description, but it is a case of different[/q1]
[q1]> approach than to A level maths.[/q1]

That's about it. It's not handholdy like A-level maths can be sometimes. It expects you to know what
to apply and why you apply it, rather than endless questions along the lines of "Find the root of
this polynomial," and, "Use your calculator to get the standard deviation."

[q1]> Like Further Maths, not many schools allow their pupils to sit the papers. I dont know why.[/q1]

I can't see any reason not to let their pupils take it either. If they have an ability, and want to
read Maths at Warwick or Cambridge, then isn't it the school's duty to at least register you for it
and get you to sit the paper?
Ray Pang
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Davido" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[q2]> > LOL? Don't believe everything you read in the papers. I think you'll[/q2]
find
[q2]> > that pretty much everybody doing Maths has that sort of grade. STEP is essential, and AAB is the[/q2]
[q2]> > bare minimum for maths.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> http://www.times-archive.co.uk/onlin...thematics.html[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> 11 Warwick 22 5 B 5* A 5* B 29.0 88.4[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> So the average A Level points score for 3 A Levels for this year's Maths graduates at Warwick is[/q1]
[q1]> 29. This should mean that for every 2 people one has AAA, one has AAB. However whether you have[/q1]
[q1]> AAA or AAAAA your points score is 30. I don't know if GS is included as one of the three subjects.[/q1]
[q1]> Anyway, the 29 shows that maybe 50% of the students have AAB, the rest have AAA or better,[/q1]
[q1]> [assuming nobody has ABB].[/q1]

Well everybody I know got AAAA or AABA. I'm still struggling to see what's so funny though.
Davido
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q2]> > 11 Warwick 22 5 B 5* A 5* B 29.0 88.4[/q2]

[q1]> Well everybody I know got AAAA or AABA. I'm still struggling to see what's so funny though.[/q1]

Fair enough, maybe people who say they got AAAA include General Studies in that whilst the Times
tables don't include it for A Level points scores.

Using the term "lol" nowadays doesn't necessarily mean I find the comment hilarious, I just thought
it was rather unrealistic to think that MOST people at Warwick had "AAAA+STEP", I'm quite surprised
at what you've said, I would've thought that only at Cambridge would the majority of Mathematicians
have 4As & STEP...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (294)
34.23%
No (565)
65.77%

Watched Threads