ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)
    only 9-5, 5 days... I wish

Wouldn't change what I do for the world though

Joy
    x
    or just don't work..

ReputationRep:
    Well unfortunately some of us do actually need to do some work...

ReputationRep:
    Well unfortunately some of us do actually need to do some work...
    well thats probably the problem with notts medics, everyone else there says they're a group to themselves, working all the time.
    To prospective med students: you don't need to be working 9-5, 5 days a week, its totally unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    Well I guess it depends whether you want a crap BMedSci degree or not really - Being crammed into a 5 year course makes it rather intense! With 28ish hours lectures a week, and studying outside of that, it's not 9-5, however this doesn't mean you can't also have a great time - Notts medics are reknowned for 'working hard, playing hard'.

ReputationRep:
    its cos we did a short course in IT so it counts as only half a GCSE!

ReputationRep:
    iv applied to kings, imperial, UCL and QMW. iv got offers to do biomed from kings, and UCL sed they'd like to offer me a place on the biomed course, subject to my attending an open day

i got:
    -6 A*s, 2 As, 1 C
    -4 As at AS
    - i dont know what im predicted at A2 but hopefully 3 As.

what subjects r u guys doin at A2 tho? cos im doin chem,bio n art.ppl say the art may put me at a disadvantage but i really didnt wanna spend another year doin maths!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FunkyTeenAngel)
    iv applied to kings, imperial, UCL and QMW. iv got offers to do biomed from kings, and UCL sed they'd like to offer me a place on the biomed course, subject to my attending an open day

i got:
    -6 A*s, 2 As, 1 C
    -4 As at AS
    - i dont know what im predicted at A2 but hopefully 3 As.

what subjects r u guys doin at A2 tho? cos im doin chem,bio n art.ppl say the art may put me at a disadvantage but i really didnt wanna spend another year doin maths!
    Someone at my school got into Manchester Med School doing Bio, Chem and Theatre Studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMushMan)
    well thats probably the problem with notts medics, everyone else there says they're a group to themselves, working all the time.
    To prospective med students: you don't need to be working 9-5, 5 days a week, its totally unnecessary.
    I'd like to point out that at Manchester (and this is not an exception) most medics are time-tabled 9-5 5 days a week. So unless they want to miss tutorials, lab sessions, and lectures yes they do work 9-5.

ReputationRep:
    Quite a few of the medical schools I have researched actually prefer it if you have a non-science A-level. It shows you're a more well rounded person, and not just a boring scientist. I was told by my Sixth form head that med schools liked all 3 sciences, so I did, but it now appears that this is a disadvantage (not a reason not to accept you though, but non science a-levels are recommended and preferred).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    I'd like to point out that at Manchester (and this is not an exception) most medics are time-tabled 9-5 5 days a week. So unless they want to miss tutorials, lab sessions, and lectures yes they do work 9-5.
    I'm at southampton just finishing off my foundation term, and the timetable can go from 9-5 generally 3 days a week, one day we have the afternoon off for sport and on a friday, we generally have either practicals (histology & anatomy) or tutorials. I'm expecting tha pace to ceratinly pick up next term as we start to cover the cardiovascular system, but am lucky that I'm not doing another degree at the same time, like at Notts.

ReputationRep:
    just a thought, i am applying for dentistry , not the same as medicine but almost identical in admissions procedures.
    i didnt do so well at GCSE, and was not predicted anywhere near 3 A's for a'levels, yet i have an interview coming up at liverpool, its not all about the grades.
    the admissions tutors are looking for someone who is different someone who will help the profession and someone who will be going places (metaphorically)!!!! they dont want the same old stuff which is churned out year after year, they dont want the same old 3 A's students, that would seriously hinder the medical/dental professions.....think about it!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    just a thought, i am applying for dentistry , not the same as medicine but almost identical in admissions procedures.
    i didnt do so well at GCSE, and was not predicted anywhere near 3 A's for a'levels, yet i have an interview coming up at liverpool, its not all about the grades.
    the admissions tutors are looking for someone who is different someone who will help the profession and someone who will be going places (metaphorically)!!!! they dont want the same old stuff which is churned out year after year, they dont want the same old 3 A's students, that would seriously hinder the medical/dental professions.....think about it!!!!

Did you actually read what your wrote before saying "post"?? Having 3 A's will no hinder your advancement in medicine, agreed it does not prove you will be a good doctor, but it shows that you have some intellectual capability, a pre-requisite for medicine! Would you really like to be treated by a doctor so inept they got CCC at A-level??? Med schools dont mind AAA, but they dont specify it because it takes more than grades, but it still takes some kind of brains!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rocksteady99)
    Did you actually read what your wrote before saying "post"?? Having 3 A's will no hinder your advancement in medicine, agreed it does not prove you will be a good doctor, but it shows that you have some intellectual capability, a pre-requisite for medicine! Would you really like to be treated by a doctor so inept they got CCC at A-level??? Med schools dont mind AAA, but they dont specify it because it takes more than grades, but it still takes some kind of brains!!!
    You probably have been treated by a doctor who got CCC at a-level. Maybe even 2E's. It's only in the last 10 years or so that entrance requirements have become so high.

Medschools only specify such high grades because of the sheer demand. It's not rocket science. The content isn't that intellectually demanding, you just need to be able to cope with the sheer volume of work.

Joy
    (3rd year medic, Notts)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rocksteady99)
    did i directly link having 3 A's to hindering advancementr???? NO!!!
    and if a doctor was completely illiterate and coulndnt speak a word of english, but was a damn good doctor, i wouldnt give a **** if he got a 3 U's at a'level!!!

ReputationRep:
    You probably have been treated by a doctor who got CCC at a-level. Maybe even 2E's. It's only in the last 10 years or so that entrance requirements have become so high.

Medschools only specify such high grades because of the sheer demand. It's not rocket science. The content isn't that intellectually demanding, you just need to be able to cope with the sheer volume of work.

Joy
    (3rd year medic, Notts)
    Well excuse me Ms Abbott, my husband studied medicine in the seventies with ABBB (took A level Maths in one year and then Physics, Chemistry and Biology).

Medical schools use a variety of different criteria to select applicants. Queen's Belfast has such a high demand for places and doesn't interview. Last year no-one with less than 8"A"s at GCSE was successful. I know someone with 7 A*s and 3Bs who didn't get in. But they all managed to get placed in medical schools in England and Scotland.

Most medical schools will favour people from their own region over outsiders. So if you get rejected by one, don't despair, you will probably be lucky elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    I have no doubt many Doctors have straight A's at a-level, but many haven't, and that's all I was saying.

I got 11A*'s GCSES and 4 A's at A-Level, but by no means did this automatically guarantee me a place at medschool. I gained as much work ex. and voluntary work as I could. I considered myself extremely fortunate to be offered 4 places at medschools.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I applied last year to MANCHESTER (Where I Am Now) Leeds, Leicester and Liverpool.
    My Gcses 3A* 4A 3B
    My AS - AABB
    My A2 - AAAA C-oops
    Dave

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.