Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    About 3 months ago I started getting EXCRUCIATING pains under my right rib - rung NHS Direct - got told it was wind. So obviously put up with the pain, didnt go in hospital, didnt eat for 3 days, cried constantly and slept for a mixture of 4 hours over them 3 days.

When I went for my ultrasound (2 months later can I add. NHS sucks) they found a cyst on my left ovary. Apparantly its quite large, and yes, I do have Gallstones.

Tomorrow and Thursday are my days in hospital when Im getting vaginal probed and Thursday is my appointment with the surgeons for my gallbladder.

Mainly have three questions:

1. Do I have anything to worry about with my cyst??
    - pretty much spent the morning crying on the phone to my mum and boyfriend and have took the day off work cos I feel so ******

2. Does getting an internal ultrasound hurt?

3. Regarding my Gallbladder removal - how long will I roughly have to wait to have my operation once Iv had my surgeon meeting??
    - Its pissing me off how long I've had to wait BECAUSE of the NHS in the first place telling me it was wind! I was well prepared to go in hospital!

Thank you in advance!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm in the same position! I have been expereincing excrutiating pain under my ribcage (one 'attack' was so bad I had to get an ambulance) and I am going to see a gastroenterologist on monday to get scanned (I think!). Luckily my doctor got me an appointment asap because he knew i was starting uni in a couple of months.

Sorry, not much help, but I feel your pain!

ReputationRep:
    Can't really comment on the cyst, but I did have my gallbladder removed last year.

I had my appointment with the surgeons in mid-October and was told I would have to wait until the start of December for the op. This is after I'd been having attacks for almost a year, as was, by this point, in constant pain, with daily attacks.

I ended up having the surgery as an emergency patient 2 weeks later (and good job as I had a massive infection and my gallbladder was actually starting to rot, and may have ruptured by the time they wanted to do the surgery).

If you keep having attacks just keep going back to A+E - the problem is that gallstones are actually really common so they're not likely to act quickly unless you've got other worrying health conditions, or you're jaundiced or running a massive fever.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Have you been cutting fatty foods out of your diet? I haven't had an attack since cutting most fatty foods (especailly processed meats as I have noticed I had attacks after eating them) out of my diet- although it's only been over a week.

ReputationRep:
    As for the cyst - really don't worry about it. Loads of women have cysts and they can always rescan you and do a little operation to take it out if it ever becomes a problem.
    And the internal ultrasound....Not going to pretend it will be comfortable but it shouldn't hurt. The best thing you can do is relax your muscles, so stay calm and try and take your mind somewhere else for a couple of mins. It will be over before you know it. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie_louise)
    Have you been cutting fatty foods out of your diet? I haven't had an attack since cutting most fatty foods (especailly processed meats as I have noticed I had attacks after eating them) out of my diet- although it's only been over a week.
    Yeah I have but I still get them. It weird I can actually feel the stones moving - its disgusting!

(Original post by pixiepeep)
    I had my appointment with the surgeons in mid-October and was told I would have to wait until the start of December for the op. This is after I'd been having attacks for almost a year, as was, by this point, in constant pain, with daily attacks.
    bloody hell!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Do they scan your whole body? Is that how they found the cyst or did they suspect you had one to begin with?

ReputationRep:
    My doctor thought I had gotten gallstones because of the pill that I had been on so he wanted to check out my ovaries aswell just in case - I dont know what he was wanting to find! But Im bloody relieved he wanted to look!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Rhino115)
    My doctor thought I had gotten gallstones because of the pill that I had been on so he wanted to check out my ovaries aswell just in case - I dont know what he was wanting to find! But Im bloody relieved he wanted to look!
    Well atleast now you know whats wrong and you can get it treated. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long so life can get back to normal.

Yeah I have but I still get them. It weird I can actually feel the stones moving - its disgusting!

bloody hell!!
    1) 2 months is a standard wait for an abdo ultrasound as an outpatient. Unless you are hospitalised or they suspect you have cancer you will wait 4-8 weeks.

2) Gallstones are rare at a young age, so not the first suspected diagnosis.

3) Its impossible for you to feel the gallstones moving around. you can however feel the pain as one passes.

4) most women will have an ovarian cyst in their lifetime. they rarely cause a problem or even pain. but its worth getting checked if you are having tummy pains.

5) the transvaginal ultrasound (internal) is a tiny instrument no bigger than a marker pen (and certainly much smaller than most penises). theres nothing sharp or nasty about the ultrasound. slight discomfort, no pain.

ReputationRep:
    Had my transvaginal ultrasound and my cyst has doubled in size. Its now 4.7cm

Got refered to a Gyno now! Thought I would just let people know in case you were wondering!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Had my transvaginal ultrasound and my cyst has doubled in size. Its now 4.7cm

Got refered to a Gyno now! Thought I would just let people know in case you were wondering!
    Good job they checked! Hope you get it all sorted soon.

ReputationRep:
    Good job they checked! Hope you get it all sorted soon.
    Thank you!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Does anyone know how likely I am to get operated on? Bearing in mind my attacks have been fairly wide apart but a couple of them have caused acute pain. I am only asking because I am starting uni in october and it sounds like it will take a good few weeks/months for anything to happen to me hospital wise (also a part of me wants to use this as an excuse to get ensuite accomodation although I'm not sure how :p: :ninjagirl: :o:)

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how likely I am to get operated on? Bearing in mind my attacks have been fairly wide apart but a couple of them have caused acute pain. I am only asking because I am starting uni in october and it sounds like it will take a good few weeks/months for anything to happen to me hospital wise (also a part of me wants to use this as an excuse to get ensuite accomodation although I'm not sure how :p: :ninjagirl: :o:)
    So sorry to hear about your gallbaldder issues, i feel yuor pain ( i had sugery about 18months ago at 16 lolz i was the 2nd youngest the surgeon had sliced for op :o: ) I had a huge attack in the Dec. prior to my op, went jaundice and the like, was told they would operate on me during my 4 day stint at hosp., they didnt = me not happy.
    Ended up having the operation in the Feb. it was fine, in the time between Dec-Feb went on low fat diet, lost about a fair bit of weight ( wasnt overwight though in the first place:p: ). In a way having the operation later cut the risks down of me having to have the full blown old fashioned surgery with longer recovery time - had keyhole, brilliant no real issues.
    Best thing to do in the time between diagnosis and op is try and control diet to prrevent further attacks.
    All the best,
    if you have any questions PM me
    H xoxo
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Aww thank you, although it sounds like you have been through much worse than me!!! My attacks are few and far between and only 3 have been bad enough to wory about (one in particular). I am doing well at sticking to low fat foods although it can be hard when eating out.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!

What does an attack feel like?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My attacks feel like a really tight pressure pain around my bra strap at the front. It starts of as mild pain which increases untill it reaches and peak and then dissapears (the pain doesnt fluctuate i.e there is only one 'peak'). At it's most severe the pain radiates through my back (ouch!) so no position (sitting, standing, lying down) is comfortable and I just writhe around on the floor/bed :o:

ReputationRep:
    Aww thank you, although it sounds like you have been through much worse than me!!! My attacks are few and far between and only 3 have been bad enough to wory about (one in particular). I am doing well at sticking to low fat foods although it can be hard when eating out.
    Yes, try and stick to low fat foods as much as you can, its easier in the summer :p: Having to do it over Christmas was such a biatch! haha.
    I recall the pain being horrendous as if someone is stabbing you in the back whilst punching your stomach very very hard - constantly.
    Glad to your feeling better, the diet should help becuase after the bad one i had in dec i didnt really suffer at all
    x
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    eugh I'm having another attack-hopefully it will only be a minor one because I am meant to be going to the cinema with a friend in a few minutes.

edit: gone now thank goodness!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.