Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhino115)
    Good luck with everything tomorrow/today! Let me know how it goes!!

Started getting attacks quite often now... cannot wait till I get the call..
    How often are you having attacks now? If they begin starting earlier during the day and lasting longer, or if your eyes start turning yellowish, start making a nuisance of yourself at A+E or your GP. They ignored my daily pain for too long and I ended up being really rather ill with infection and the beginnings of gangrene.

Hope they get to you soon!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Well its all over and done with now Definitely worth the surgery compared to other treatments as it is a long term solution and doesn't hurt as much as an attack- very glad I've had it done! The most pain I had is the cannula going in (didn't even feel it coming out- although there was a lot of blood!) and a sore throat from the tube in my mouth- and as you can imagine neither of those two things are that bad. Just starting to feel achey but thats only when I move. During the surgery I managed to bite my lip (all puffy now!) and itch my cannula out (got extremely itchy when coming round again- not that unusual a side effect). All in all- for people like Rhino115 don't worry too much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie_louise)
    Well its all over and done with now Definitely worth the surgery compared to other treatments as it is a long term solution and doesn't hurt as much as an attack- very glad I've had it done! The most pain I had is the cannula going in (didn't even feel it coming out- although there was a lot of blood!) and a sore throat from the tube in my mouth- and as you can imagine neither of those two things are that bad. Just starting to feel achey but thats only when I move. During the surgery I managed to bite my lip (all puffy now!) and itch my cannula out (got extremely itchy when coming round again- not that unusual a side effect). All in all- for people like Rhino115 don't worry too much!
    I'm really glad you're feeling better Just make sure you take it really easy for a couple of weeks and heal properly. Give it a bit longer after you start feeling "normal" again, cause that's the time when you can really hurt yourself again! (My step-mom had a hysterectomy a few weeks back, and starting doing stuff again as soon as she felt better, and ended up back in bed for a week from doing too much).

And if you do get the runs, toast or biscuits should help slow things down.

On that note, my problems have mysteriously cleared up in the last week or so, rather typically just as I've been prescribed the stuff I've been after since December (not on it yet though!) Fingers crossed it stays this way now, so I don't have to take any of it (it's supposed to taste foul).

If you're concerned about anything feel free to pm me
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by pixiepeep)

On that note, my problems have mysteriously cleared up in the last week or so, rather typically just as I've been prescribed the stuff I've been after since December (not on it yet though!) Fingers crossed it stays this way now, so I don't have to take any of it (it's supposed to taste foul).

That's brilliant news! Lets hope it lasts.

Don't worry I'm not overdoing it- I can hardly move. I find myself walking bent forward with my hands clasped together like Mr Burns (have no idea why!). I'm not looking forward to climbing in and out of bed- I had to completely raise the head of the bed to get up when I was in hospital.

Anyone got any movie recommendations to keep me busy for the next few weeks?

ReputationRep:
    That's brilliant news! Lets hope it lasts.

Don't worry I'm not overdoing it- I can hardly move. I find myself walking bent forward with my hands clasped together like Mr Burns (have no idea why!). I'm not looking forward to climbing in and out of bed- I had to completely raise the head of the bed to get up when I was in hospital.

Anyone got any movie recommendations to keep me busy for the next few weeks?
    I slept on the sofa for the first few nights as it was easier to sit up on, and cause I wouldn't get whacked in the stomach by my other half in the night!!

I think I got through most of Buffy and several seasons of House lying in the lounge, with a packet of ginger biccies for company!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I think I am going to find every pillow and duvet I own and make some sort of nest :P

ReputationRep:
    I have my operation on Friday!! Woohoo got my letter today so Im trying to sort out everything ready for going in.

Im so scared but I feel much better hearing your guys experiences

I have my gyno at the same time so i dont know whats going on about that but I think that its being taken out aswell

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! Next week you will have no more attacks and you will have a lovely pot of gallbabies to look at Make sure you get your family/friends running around after you like I did for my sister (Katie Louise). I'm joking - I was an awful nurse, Katie kept on saying 'Don't leave me alone with her!'. I'm sure she meant it lovingly.

Post again when it's all over so we know how it went.

ReputationRep:
    I have my operation on Friday!! Woohoo got my letter today so Im trying to sort out everything ready for going in.

Im so scared but I feel much better hearing your guys experiences

I have my gyno at the same time so i dont know whats going on about that but I think that its being taken out aswell

Hope it all goes well for you; if you need any advice for after I'm sure there's a few of us here now who could give you plenty of info You'll feel so much better once it's done!

ReputationRep:
    Iv had it done!

Went in Friday morning, got my op at 2, woke up at 7 and discharged at half 1 the next day.

Im feeling so much better today although walking round bent over seems to be the norm. Getting up and bending over is pretty much impossible and laughing, coughing, sneezing and yawning hurts so much!

How long did it take for everyone to be back to normal? I was told if im not back to uni within 2 weeks I shall be kicked from my course so im alittle worried about that

My cyst was also drained at the same time as they told me if they were to remove it would be to get rid of part of my ovary, so Im happy about that and my cyst doesnt hurt at all which is awesome.

The most pain that i was in the whole time was when they took out my drain from my right hand side. I have never felt anything like it. Just thinking about it now is making me squirm!! But apart from that and the obvious post operation pain thats it!

Im very very happy and getting waited on by my boyfriend is wicked Has anyone reaped any other benefits apart from the obvious no gall pains!! I read that clearer skin is one of the side effects!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Iv had it done!

Went in Friday morning, got my op at 2, woke up at 7 and discharged at half 1 the next day.

Im feeling so much better today although walking round bent over seems to be the norm. Getting up and bending over is pretty much impossible and laughing, coughing, sneezing and yawning hurts so much!

How long did it take for everyone to be back to normal? I was told if im not back to uni within 2 weeks I shall be kicked from my course so im alittle worried about that

My cyst was also drained at the same time as they told me if they were to remove it would be to get rid of part of my ovary, so Im happy about that and my cyst doesnt hurt at all which is awesome.

The most pain that i was in the whole time was when they took out my drain from my right hand side. I have never felt anything like it. Just thinking about it now is making me squirm!! But apart from that and the obvious post operation pain thats it!

Im very very happy and getting waited on by my boyfriend is wicked Has anyone reaped any other benefits apart from the obvious no gall pains!! I read that clearer skin is one of the side effects!
    I'm glad it went well Make the most of your boyfriend looking after you! Remember to take it easy but also not to stay in the same position for too long. I walked bent over for a few days and also felt the least pain when I was sat bolt upright. I would imgaine if you recover well you will be back to uni within 2 weeks but you will still be a bit delicate (although you have had 2 proceedures so you have more healing to do). Keep an eye on your wounds- one of mine went a bit infected but luckily it cleared up by itself.

Interesting about clearer skin- I think I do have slightly clearer skin now.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad it went well Make the most of your boyfriend looking after you! Remember to take it easy but also not to stay in the same position for too long. I walked bent over for a few days and also felt the least pain when I was sat bolt upright. I would imgaine if you recover well you will be back to uni within 2 weeks but you will still be a bit delicate (although you have had 2 proceedures so you have more healing to do). Keep an eye on your wounds- one of mine went a bit infected but luckily it cleared up by itself.

Interesting about clearer skin- I think I do have slightly clearer skin now.
    thats wicked , thank you! Were your stiches dissolvable? I was told I can take my plasters off after 3 days and then my stiches will dissolve when i have a shower.

And also did you have any pain were your gall bladder was? I am getting very very very heavy pain right under my rib... I was thinking maybe it is my tissue etc moving around?

Just guna take it nice and easy now
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    thats wicked , thank you! Were your stiches dissolvable? I was told I can take my plasters off after 3 days and then my stiches will dissolve when i have a shower.

And also did you have any pain were your gall bladder was? I am getting very very very heavy pain right under my rib... I was thinking maybe it is my tissue etc moving around?

I can't say I was ever in anything more than mild pain/discomfort after my op so if I were you I would def keep an eye on that. Make sure you remember to take your painkillers for atleast the first week or two even if your not in pain at the time.

I only had a couple of stitches where there was a cut made to muscle, the rest of the tissue was just 'glued' together. The stitches dissolve over time and the little bumps they make eventually dissapear. I only had plasters on when I was in hospital...after that i had the clear spray on 'plaster' which eventually peels off.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh ok! Oh, I thought it might have been normal. I shall keep an eye on it - if it carries on I shall go my doctors.

Im so happy Iv had it done now

ReputationRep:
    Glad it went well and your ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella)
    Glad it went well and your ok
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I had that exact problem a few months ago.

1) No, you don't need to worry as such, but the pains may become quite frequent which is never nice. I recommend codeine as a painkiller. I didn't personally find that cutting out low-fat foods made any difference to the frequency of attacks.

2) The ultrasound tickles and you'll be covered in surgical lube. It's not unpleasent at all.

3) I had to wait about 8 weeks for my surgery, but it depends on your NHS trust. I was recovered enough to function normally after about a week, but spent that week trippin' balls on painkillers. You'll need to be somewhere someone can look after you. You also won't be able to use your tummy muscles for a few days, which makes getting out of bed a little tricky.

Get well soon, they are the absolute worst things to be stuck with xx

EDIT: Didn't read the thread. Congrats on getting the buggers out.

ReputationRep:

Glad you've got it all over and done with.

Did they give you any specific warnings about pain in the gallbldder area? There's a rare complication called a bile leak where the bile is escaping into the cavity and can be very dangerous. If you're in a lot of pain then back to A+E asap as they'll need to check that out. I'm sure it's nothing that serious but it's something you do need to be aware of.

I was back at work after 2 weeks, but I was still a little sore and still trying to get my appetite back. Just make sure you take it easy - no heavy lifting of any sort for at least 4 weeks after to be on the safe side!

Most of my stitches were gone in 2 weeks, a few of the knots took a bit longer and I gave up on one and picked it out myself!

EDIT: Also watch out for diarrhoea. If it lasts more than a few weeks take a trip back to your GP, and if you've never had symptoms like it before the op, do not take a diagnosis of "Oh it's IBS in someone your age" cause it's nonsense.

Oh yeah, the pain has gone down alot. Only get it slightly when I sneeze or yawn or when I walk too fast, I will keep an eye on it though cos it is pretty annoying.

Haha diarrhoea! Yeah that part hit me two days ago. Its not pleasant!!

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, the pain has gone down alot. Only get it slightly when I sneeze or yawn or when I walk too fast, I will keep an eye on it though cos it is pretty annoying.

Haha diarrhoea! Yeah that part hit me two days ago. Its not pleasant!!

EDIT: I didnt mean to post is anonymous then!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.