Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

For a long time now I have been moaning and groaning about the AAB requirement for the course I want to do at SOAS. Throughout my school life I have usually come out with 1 A and B's. GCSE was an exception because Photography was a breeze for me BUT!! The Social Anthropology and Korean BA course is something I really really really want for my enrichment and further maturing towards my aspiration of becoming a TEFL teacher. The SA is for my self enrichment and understanding of human culture and the Korean is basically because I want to learn it (very much) and I feel in terms of how Mandarin is over-subscribed would mean I'd probably have to impress with AAA's.

I'm most likely going to get ABB or BBB in A levels but I don't want to go anywhere else! Baugghh. I haven't even done a language in GCSE or A level which just makes me less appealing! There are times people wish they had time machines and this is the time for me. If I knew that it was like this then I would have chosen French since I was quite good at it back then. Now time has passed and I've forgotten it, I was thinking of going to a FE college to do French GCSE but that would require me to do 3 years which I'm not particularily fond of. This is a case where I wish my school had stressed more about how it affects you in Univeristy choices instead of the lackluster three pages in my planner. Sigh, it is my fault for not researching but as I learnt in sociology, sometimes you just don't get that extra knowledge or resource.

Anyway, my boohoo story is over, any advice other than "work your butt off till there's no tomorrow"? I have researched other Universities that do languages but I am a bit rubbish at this research stuff so if you know any other universities that do either Chinese Mandarin, Korean and/or Social Anthropology, do tell! (I would also appreciate if they happened to do TEFL because I know Middlesex does but I am not very keen on going there)

Thank you :o:

ReputationRep:
    Well Sheffield does Korean with requirments of BBC.
    Don't know about TEFL though.

ReputationRep:
    Oh thank you, I will check it out now!

I also forgot to mention I did Japanese Enrichment under WJEC. It was just a beginners course thing.

Edit: Ok I checked it out and I think I love you! It's sooooo far away though, I don't think I can afford it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhYumMilk)
    Oh thank you, I will check it out now!

I also forgot to mention I did Japanese Enrichment under WJEC. It was just a beginners course thing.

Edit: Ok I checked it out and I think I love you! It's sooooo far away though, I don't think I can afford it!
    Surely Sheffield is a much cheaper place to live than London?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I reckon enthusiasm is worth a lot more than grades for something like studying an Oriental language. Just try and convey that (which you've done really well in your post) and also emphasise anything that might make you stand out from the crowd.

On a side note, I had a look at Sheffield when applying to unis and I was very impressed with the place. I can't really speak for Korean but the Chinese department looked very well run. Oh yeah, and it definitely is a hell of a lot cheaper than London :P

You could try constructing a really good email and just firing it off to all the admissions tutors at the unis you're interested in, and see what they say. They won't be able to say whether you'll get in or not, but they should say whether it's worth applying.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Always worth trying to "haggle"

Re. being a TEFL teacher - you don't need any specific degree to go into TEFL (you don't actually need a degree at all, but it helps massively), no degree is seen as better than another for this.

Re. Sheffield - it's a lot cheaper than London, the best city in the world in my opinion (with the possible exception of Phnom Penh), you'd love it here (anyone would :P)

Another option - if you're set on SOAS - would be to apply to 5 different (but similar) course, all at SOAS. Eg, Soc Anth and Korean, Korean, Soc Anth, Korean and Chinese, Soc Anth and Chinese... Then in your PS you can write a bit about how you're set on that specific institution.

J

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I was planning on living at home! XD However, now I know Sheffield in cheaper, I have smaller worries. I have signed up for the taster/open day on September 7th and hope to enquire more when I go there.

Regarding the TEFL, it's not that I just want to do TEFL here, I actually want to go abroad and most schools or English institutions require you have a degree in anything. That's the reason I want a degree, (plus the experience) and I want to do the further TEFL C/Delta in the future depending on how my further research goes.
    I will reply more later but my class is over x]

ReputationRep:
    it was confirmed in another thread that asking them to lower requirements doesn't work

ReputationRep:
    I;m at middlesex really don't bother applyin there it is a crap uni!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

SOAS Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

Scape Student Living

Scape Student Living

"Brand new super studios at Scape Shoreditch, three minutes away from Old Street station!"

Quick links:

Unanswered SOAS ThreadsFind out what student life in London is really like in students' own wordsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other SOAS applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.