Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am an IB student in Hong Kong and is an Australian Citizen.
    I want to apply to Australia Universities next year as an undergraduate local student.

I am confused with the system that Universities (which offer Medicine) operates.
    Some universities offer MBBS as a postgraduate (Syndey) and some as undergraduate (UNSW) and some you have to study an undergraduate course in thier university before studying a postgraduate course in Medicine in their school.

I don't know which universities operates on which system. I mean in the third example, if i take a undergraduate course prior to a postgraduate Medical course, would i have to study for a longer duration as a result?

And also is there some ranking on the Medical Universities in Australia which i can refer to?

Thank you so much!
    Regards,
    Andy

ReputationRep:
    This is quite a complicated issue. UNSW, UWS, Adelaide, UWA, JCU, Bond, UQ, Newcastle, Monash, UTas (hopefully I havent missed any) all have undergraduate medicine. Most if not all will require a stellar UAI and very good UMAT results, and a good interview. Some like Newcastle and Adelaide have the UAI or IB score as a hurdle requirement.

USyd, UMelb, UQ, Monash Gippsland, Griffith, Flinders and a few more have graduate medicine, meaning you need a prior degree usually in any discipline (Umelb requires some specific prerequisites). You need to do the GAMSAT, sit an interview (except for UQ and I think Unimelb) and get a good GPA.

Courses range from 4.5 years (bond) as they use a trimester system, to minimum of 7 years if you do grad med (3 yr bachelor, + 4 year MBBS).

Rankings mean nothing in Australia unlike other countries. A doctor from one university is the same as one from another university.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.