Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am an IB student in Hong Kong and is an Australian Citizen.
    I want to apply to Australia Universities next year as an undergraduate local student.

I am confused with the system that Universities (which offer Medicine) operates.
    Some universities offer MBBS as a postgraduate (Syndey) and some as undergraduate (UNSW) and some you have to study an undergraduate course in thier university before studying a postgraduate course in Medicine in their school.

I don't know which universities operates on which system. I mean in the third example, if i take a undergraduate course prior to a postgraduate Medical course, would i have to study for a longer duration as a result?

And also is there some ranking on the Medical Universities in Australia which i can refer to?

Thank you so much!
    Regards,
    Andy

ReputationRep:
    This is quite a complicated issue. UNSW, UWS, Adelaide, UWA, JCU, Bond, UQ, Newcastle, Monash, UTas (hopefully I havent missed any) all have undergraduate medicine. Most if not all will require a stellar UAI and very good UMAT results, and a good interview. Some like Newcastle and Adelaide have the UAI or IB score as a hurdle requirement.

USyd, UMelb, UQ, Monash Gippsland, Griffith, Flinders and a few more have graduate medicine, meaning you need a prior degree usually in any discipline (Umelb requires some specific prerequisites). You need to do the GAMSAT, sit an interview (except for UQ and I think Unimelb) and get a good GPA.

Courses range from 4.5 years (bond) as they use a trimester system, to minimum of 7 years if you do grad med (3 yr bachelor, + 4 year MBBS).

Rankings mean nothing in Australia unlike other countries. A doctor from one university is the same as one from another university.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.