Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi

can anybody tell me what Watford Grammar School for Boys is like? Particularly how life is like at the Sixth Form?

I'm coming there this September to do:
    Biology
    Philosophy
    Chemistry
    History
    [and possibly maths]

What are the depts like, the staff good?

And yes... I am aware that WGSB is not a grammar school, but its a state school :rolleyes:

Can't wait to start in September!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prince_of_paupers)
    hi

can anybody tell me what Watford Grammar School for Boys is like? Particularly how life is like at the Sixth Form?

I'm coming there this September to do:
    Biology
    Philosophy
    Chemistry
    History
    [and possibly maths]

What are the depts like, the staff good?

And yes... I am aware that WGSB is not a grammar school, but its a state school :rolleyes:

Can't wait to start in September!!
    Hello Prince_Of_Paupers.

I am also going to be starting at Watford Grammar School Sixth Form in september

and likewise.. Would really appreciate some information on the school as a whole and what the sixth form is like..

ReputationRep:
    Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Watford! Ahem.

It's meant to be one of the better schools in and around Watford. That's all I know. May have got a bit too excited when I saw 'Watford' ...

ReputationRep:
    It was the best non-selective state school for boys for A-level maths in 2004.

ReputationRep:
    I went to WGGS.
    It's referred to as WGBS not WGBS btw.
    Right well life is good - free gym, nice teachers, headteacher's alright.
    You will be shocked for the first few months about how pushy the teachers are - I'm used to it but all the newbies always say how much work there is and how much the teachers get involved. They care a LOT and won't let you get away with ********, but if you clearly can't be assed they'll just ignore you eventually.
    Support is great.
    Mixed parties with the girls school are AWESOME. You will remember nothing from them!
    Any more questions, pm me.

ReputationRep:
    i go to wggs ^^

ReputationRep:
    which textbooks do they use for biology and chemistry for AS and A2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prince_of_paupers)
    which textbooks do they use for biology and chemistry for AS and A2?
    they are on the WJEC for biology and chemistry -- both of these have no official textbook. Though if there is anybody here from WBGS, I'm sure they could clarify the titles they use.

sorry i can't be of more help.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just finishing at WGBS, and btw (lol at this:P):
    It's referred to as WGBS not WGBS btw.
    either way, I did French, Maths, History and Economics.

Right, well with any school, you can get lucky or just be very unlucky. The French teachers are actually pretty good, but you have to make sure you put a lot of your own work in (if you wanna do well that is). Extra reading outside of class helps, and if you ever have any problems, the teachers are very willing to help. Maths is iffy. There are some very good teachers, and some not so good. Some will set a lot of homework, and others will barely set any. What I found was, make sure you work on your own in every subj and do enough work yourself to make sure that you know the stuff. Coz at the end, its your grades.
    Economics...what I liked about this dept is that they made you work and make you do extra reading as well...always a good thing. And its a really good dept in all.
    History...a fair mix, just make sure you do a lot of your own work. Luckily, I had some good friends, namely Ali, whose notes I could steal a couple of days before the exam!

The gyms awesome, and the area of course is great. Lots of things to do. People are nice, cool environment.
    (sorry about the shortness towards the end, got busy!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sirajdatoo)
    I'm just finishing at WGBS, and btw (lol at this:P):

either way, I did French, Maths, History and Economics.

Right, well with any school, you can get lucky or just be very unlucky. The French teachers are actually pretty good, but you have to make sure you put a lot of your own work in (if you wanna do well that is). Extra reading outside of class helps, and if you ever have any problems, the teachers are very willing to help. Maths is iffy. There are some very good teachers, and some not so good. Some will set a lot of homework, and others will barely set any. What I found was, make sure you work on your own in every subj and do enough work yourself to make sure that you know the stuff. Coz at the end, its your grades.
    Economics...what I liked about this dept is that they made you work and make you do extra reading as well...always a good thing. And its a really good dept in all.
    History...a fair mix, just make sure you do a lot of your own work. Luckily, I had some good friends, namely Ali, whose notes I could steal a couple of days before the exam!

The gyms awesome, and the area of course is great. Lots of things to do. People are nice, cool environment.
    (sorry about the shortness towards the end, got busy!)
    thanks for the insight.

On the whole what are the bio/chem departments like?
    Is it true that for AS, every department for every subject make you take the modules only the summer session? Is the same true for A2?

Hope you get all the results you need and get into the uni of your choice

(Original post by purplefrog)
    they are on the WJEC for biology and chemistry -- both of these have no official textbook. Though if there is anybody here from WBGS, I'm sure they could clarify the titles they use.
    right, okay then. I'll look into this.

ReputationRep:
    Um i've heard that the science dept is pretty good. Obviously, I'm not totally sure since I barely went in, except for some Maths lessons, but its still pretty okay.

and yeah, as far as I know, they've changed the system now so you only take summer modules. Economics however, i think are keeping unit 1 in jan (AS) and unit 4 in jan (A2) unless you do the Pre-U. Obv if you do further Maths, you do exams in Jan too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dheemal)
    Hello Prince_Of_Paupers.

I am also going to be starting at Watford Grammar School Sixth Form in september

and likewise.. Would really appreciate some information on the school as a whole and what the sixth form is like..
    HA dheemal it's a sick school

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.