Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting really depressed about my tiny weight and nothing seems to work :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Erm, it is at 132lbs...
    Besides, he's 6'2"; his calorie needs are going to be fairly high anyway pretty soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.JJJ)
    tell us what your current diet of 4000cals consists of.

Starting strength is the programme you want.

Also, op, dont despair about your weight and efforts at the gym. Not everyone is born with the ability to gain weight quickly. We all start somewhere. Best thing is to not think about negative n **** you are atm, but the positive that if you stick with a decent plan, everything will start coming together
    I hope so!

I was on a decent diet before with 3 solid meals a day like any normal person would, I wasn't starving myself or anything!

This is what I ate yesterday:

Morning: Glass of full fat milk, Bowl of crunchy nut cereal, 2 nutrigrain bars, Bowl of fruit, slice of toast with bacon and egg.

Mid morning: Smoothie, another bowl of fruit, 2 cereal bars and chicken pastry.

Lunch: Large chicken pasta with vegetables, BLT sandwhich, 6 inch ham subway.

Mid afternoon: Omlette with chips and vegetables, cereal bar

Dinner: Pork chops with bread, potatoes, vegetables and nachos.
    Ice cream and cake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukely)
    Well OP. I've got to hand it to you for being brave and posting this - I have exactly the same *predicament* as you! Only difference is I'm maybe a bit shorter and 17 and I'm trying to just let it go and not do anything about it because you know this can potentially have adverse effects as well! Just because you're skinny, doesn't mean you can't create problems for yourself later on (I'm talking about hearts here)

My parents tell me sometimes I should put on weight. I think a case of high metabolism?

Hmmm
    Skinny kids ALWAYS say they have a high metabolism and that they can eat "whatever they want". This is bull in 99% of cases. When I was 53kg, I thought I ate loads. In truth, I ate bugger all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marktitan)
    I hope so!

I was on a decent diet before with 3 solid meals a day like any normal person would, I wasn't starving myself or anything!

Morning: Glass of full fat milk, Bowl of crunchy nut cereal, 2 nutrigrain bars, Bowl of fruit, slice of toast with bacon and egg.

Ice cream and cake.
    Have a pint of full fat milk after every meal. That's an extra 1000kcal right there.

ReputationRep:
    Some irony in the OP's name.

Eat alot, if you are not gaining weight, eat more.

And, er, well, maybe STFU AND SQUAT!

ReputationRep:
    I hope so!

Ice cream and cake.
    For every cereal/nutrigrain bar you had, swap it for a pint of whole milk.

ReputationRep:
    @ Markitan - I have a similar problem but not quite as extreme as yours. I can imagine you must be verging on anorexic? You are a special case and most people will not understand your dilema

Don't bother with the weights/gym at this stage- trust me, I know a lot about bulking up more than any so called qualified gym instructor/PT could tell you (often they know bugger all)

First off get a thyroid check, yours sound a little overactive to me.
    You will probably find you will need to eat somewhere in the region of 5000/6000 and see where that gets you. That may sound a lot but with your metabolism the excess fat would fall off you in a couple of weeks if you reduced you diet again.
    You will need to eat a diet composed of lots of low carbs and some starchy/simple foods (not the majority) and OVERALL LOTS of fats and oil dressings. Only some protein at this stage. Protein will only spead up your metabolism and until you have worked out a calorie intake that is just above your basal metabolic rate and begin training large quantities of protein will not be required. further intense exercise (weight training) will only speed up you metabolism further and if you do not have the calories their to support it the muscles will not grow and will be broken down again for energy.
    It may be also also worthy to note that even non-assisted pro bodybuilders will only at 4-8lbs of true muscle a year. To get to your ideal weight you will need over 20lbs of weight which my friend will not be muscle! mostly intramuscular and subcutaneous fats.

Since you have started a gym already stick to intense exercises that involve lots of muscle groups at once. These are called compound exercises and build the most muscle (due to stimulated the most testosterone- the chemical all anabolic steroids are derived from)
    These are Bench press, Military Press, Lateral Pulldown, Leg Press/Squats, Deadlifts.

good luck

ReputationRep:
    mate - 9 stone isnt thaaatt bad.

firstly ... you have a high metabolism ... eating 6 times a day DOES NOT help that.

if you eat 6 times a day your likely to be boosting your metabolism.

forget counting your calories - just eat so that your full. when your worked out your body will get hungry more and only then will you benefit from more calories

if you want to get big - its really easy. Dont let anybody tell you different - definition of muscle is another factor. I doubt you will need to worry about that due to a low body fat level

to get big.

you want to be doing a max of three excercise per session (id start on 2 if your body is not used to it) THREE TIMES A WEEK

NO MORE THAN THREE TIMES A WEEK. u only grow during rest

What I was shown to do was in each session do one compound excercise and then two directed excercises.

so from compound i mean : squats(legs) or bench(chest) or back

then directed biceps / triceps / shoulders (shoulders is usually technically compound but i found them ok to do)

so maybe
    monday
    Bench / biceps/triceps

wednesday
    squats / shoulders/ triceps

friday
    back/biceps/ lower abdominen

three sets of 8 repetitions

take whey protein after your workout (upto 15 mins after) and maybe in the mornings to (check the label)

stick to it for three weeks and tell me you havent grown.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    For every cereal/nutrigrain bar you had, swap it for a pint of whole milk.
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    Have a pint of full fat milk after every meal. That's an extra 1000kcal right there.
    SMed- that's like 5 pints of milk a day?!

I could probably manage 2 or 3?

With the added milk, does my diet sound okay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by el_guapo)
    Don't bother with the weights/gym at this stage
    This is ********. Don't do this OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Besides, he's 6'2"; his calorie needs are going to be fairly high anyway pretty soon.
    Were he doing SS three times a week, which he isn't, his BMRs going to be ~2,600 so 3,100Kcal to bulk. Overeating by nearly 7,000Kcals isn't going to get him anywhere. I know he's skinny but he isn't in any danger of dying anytime soon. I'm getting bored of this assumption that you have to eat everything in sight when trying to get big, it's just bad advice.

ReputationRep:
    SMed- that's like 5 pints of milk a day?!

I could probably manage 2 or 3?

With the added milk, does my diet sound okay?
    Some skinny kids drink 8 pints of milk a day. I did for a bit, but couldn't maintain it. Now I'm on 5 or 6 a day, and am (slowly) gaining. It's not as hard as it sounds. A pint goes down easily after a meal.

ReputationRep:
    @ Markitan - I have a similar problem but not quite as extreme as yours. I can imagine you must be verging on anorexic? You are a special case and most people will not understand your dilema

Don't bother with the weights/gym at this stage- trust me, I know a lot about bulking up more than any so called qualified gym instructor/PT could tell you (often they know bugger all)

You will probably find you will need to eat somewhere in the region of 5000/6000 and see where that gets you. That may sound a lot but with your metabolism the excess fat would fall off you in a couple of weeks if you reduced you diet again.
    You will need to eat a diet composed of lots of low carbs and some starchy/simple foods (not the majority) and OVERALL LOTS of fats and oil dressings. Only some protein at this stage. Protein will only spead up your metabolism and until you have worked out a calorie intake that is just above your basal metabolic rate and begin training large quantities of protein will not be required. further intense exercise (weight training) will only speed up you metabolism further and if you do not have the calories their to support it the muscles will not grow and will be broken down again for energy.
    It may be also also worthy to note that even non-assisted pro bodybuilders will only at 4-8lbs of true muscle a year. To get to your ideal weight you will need over 20lbs of weight which my friend will not be muscle! mostly intramuscular and subcutaneous fats.

good luck
    I've been to the doctor and my BMI is 17.5 which is not reallly anorexic. He said ideallly he would like to see my put on 3/4 of a stone/1 stone.

So are you saying don't go the gym?

ReputationRep:
    Some skinny kids drink 8 pints of milk a day. I did for a bit, but couldn't maintain it. Now I'm on 5 or 6 a day, and am (slowly) gaining. It's not as hard as it sounds. A pint goes down easily after a meal.
    So with my diet+5 pints of milk a day I should hopefully start gaining
    Did you go the gym?If so what did you do at the gym?

ReputationRep:
    I say just stick to 4000kcal a day for now and see how it goes, if you're not gaining any weight then add calories slowly.

Also, do starting strength how it's supposed to be done, with barbell's. It'll be good for you increasing your strength as well as size. Good luck.

Don't do bs program that your gym is tellin u to do btw, just follow starting strength, you're gonna love and see gains.

ReputationRep:
    Don't pay attention to BMI its a load of rubbish was developed years ago.

Sort your diet out as I have suggested. Then worry about the gym Vince Gironda who trained all the orginal Bodybuilding legends Arnie et al said that Bodybuilding is 85-90% nutrition (once you perform the exercises correctly) at the moment yours is not adequate so what would be the point. get it sorted.

I have also added some more info in my original post about exercises when you have. Always remember your routine will never be the same as any elses. good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangstarr)
    Are you two representatives of the crap advice club or something?

To everyone saying he has a high metabolism or "boo hoo I have a fast metabolism too I can't gain weight" I suggest you actually do some reading about metabolism.

ReputationRep:

good luck
    Fixed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangstarr)
    mate - 9 stone isnt thaaatt bad.

firstly ... you have a high metabolism ... eating 6 times a day DOES NOT help that.

if you eat 6 times a day your likely to be boosting your metabolism.

forget counting your calories - just eat so that your full. when your worked out your body will get hungry more and only then will you benefit from more calories

if you want to get big - its really easy. Dont let anybody tell you different - definition of muscle is another factor. I doubt you will need to worry about that due to a low body fat level

to get big.

you want to be doing a max of three excercise per session (id start on 2 if your body is not used to it) THREE TIMES A WEEK

NO MORE THAN THREE TIMES A WEEK. u only grow during rest

What I was shown to do was in each session do one compound excercise and then two directed excercises.

so from compound i mean : squats(legs) or bench(chest) or back

then directed biceps / triceps / shoulders (shoulders is usually technically compound but i found them ok to do)

so maybe
    monday
    Bench / biceps/triceps

wednesday
    squats / shoulders/ triceps

friday
    back/biceps/ lower abdominen

three sets of 8 repetitions

take whey protein after your workout (upto 15 mins after) and maybe in the mornings to (check the label)

stick to it for three weeks and tell me you havent grown.
    Thanks

I have never done squats etc do you think someone at the gym could perhaps help me?

I know 9 stone isn't horrific/anorexic but it's been causing me problems.
    I've had 2 girlfriends who've both separated from me due to my weight. It's reallly getting me down :o:

ReputationRep:
    Skinny kids ALWAYS say they have a high metabolism and that they can eat "whatever they want". This is bull in 99% of cases. When I was 53kg, I thought I ate loads. In truth, I ate bugger all.
    Yeah, it's the classic excuse. I wasn't exactly that tiny to start with (10 stone at 5'8'') but I was one of those people who thought I ate a lot and stayed slim. Then I learned to eat and put on stone.

Incidentally, then I forgot how to eat and stayed the same weight, and now I've relearnt and am gaining fast. For some reason summer is a good time for me to bulk up.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.