Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting really depressed about my tiny weight and nothing seems to work :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by el_guapo)
    Don't pay attention to BMI its a load of rubbish was developed years ago.

Sort your diet out as I have suggested. Then worry about the gym Vince Gironda who trained all the orginal Bodybuilding legends Arnie et al said that Bodybuilding is 85-90% nutrition (once you perform the exercises correctly) at the moment yours is not adequate so what would be the point. get it sorted.

I have also added some more info in my original post about exercises when you have. Always remember your routine will never be the same as any elses. good luck
    Bodybuilding may be 85-90% nutrition but you have to actually do the bodybuilding first you numpty.

ReputationRep:
    I am outta here mate. follow their advice if you want. I have been training for over 5 years and achieved results these morons could only dream of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Were he doing SS three times a week, which he isn't, his BMRs going to be ~2,600 so 3,100Kcal to bulk. Overeating by nearly 7,000Kcals isn't going to get him anywhere. I know he's skinny but he isn't in any danger of dying anytime soon. I'm getting bored of this assumption that you have to eat everything in sight when trying to get big, it's just bad advice.
    so is 4000 perhaps a bit too much or should I just stick to it for now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marktitan)
    Thanks

I have never done squats etc do you think someone at the gym could perhaps help me?

I know 9 stone isn't horrific/anorexic but it's been causing me problems.
    I've had 2 girlfriends who've both separated from me due to my weight. It's reallly getting me down :o:
    Mate just do Starting Strength and eat enough. We've all done it, we've all put on loads of weight. It's really that simple.

ReputationRep:
    so is 4000 perhaps a bit too much or should I just stick to it for now?
    There's no harm in it for a few weeks I guess, you'd look better with the weight on you, but looking at the long term you'd want to be eating ~3,150Kcal a week, checking if you're putting on weight and adjusting by ~250Kcal as necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Mate just do Starting Strength and eat enough. We've all done it, we've all put on loads of weight. It's really that simple.
    Yeah this seems to be the general vibe!

I shall probably start on protein shakes aswell.

Do you think I could perhaps buy some dumbells for use at home instead of going down to the gym?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think I could perhaps buy some dumbells for use at home instead of going down to the gym?
    NO!!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah this seems to be the general vibe!

I shall probably start on protein shakes aswell.

Not really mate. You need a gym. Look at it as an investment in yourself, a fiver a week's nothing compared to the boost in self-confidence it's going to give you.

ReputationRep:
    So with my diet+5 pints of milk a day I should hopefully start gaining
    Did you go the gym?If so what did you do at the gym?
    I go to the gym, and I do Starting Strength. Best decision I ever made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by el_guapo)
    I am outta here mate. follow their advice if you want. I have been training for over 5 years and achieved results these morons could only dream of.
    Oh **** off. I love it how people who NEVER post in Fitness surface periodically and say that they have amazing results. How the hell will the OP put on any healthy weight if he doesn't go the gym???? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

EDIT: Not that your results are relevant when your advice is ****, but anyway ...

ReputationRep:
    There's no harm in it for a few weeks I guess, you'd look better with the weight on you, but looking at the long term you'd want to be eating ~3,150Kcal a week, checking if you're putting on weight and adjusting by ~250Kcal as necessary.
    I'm not trying to step on Brotherhood's toes; he's had good results and he gets the f***ing job done. You'd be doing very well to get similar results.

But I just wanted to balance it out a little to say that IMO these are pretty conservative numbers.

But it depends on your goals. The more conservative the numbers, the slower your results may potentially be. If it's all-out strength and bulk you want, one would be better served employing a "see-food" diet (see food, eat it). It doesn't mean you'll become some fat-*******, but don't expect to have visible abs.

If your more concerned for aesthetics and want minimum fat gain, then Brotherhood is probably right. I'm just laying out the discussion and raising points. You decide your goals.

Good luck either way.

ReputationRep:
    Not really mate. You need a gym. Look at it as an investment in yourself, a fiver a week's nothing compared to the boost in self-confidence it's going to give you.

(Original post by RawJoh1)
    I go to the gym, and I do Starting Strength. Best decision I ever made.

fiver a week? which gym is this? :p:
    my gym charges £40 a month!
    Same with other gyms around the area!

RawJoh1 from when you started your programme it seems like you were in a similar position to me! Did you buy the starting strength book?

Also, would you be able to give me a quick breakdown of what you ate/eat daily when you were gaining the most weight? This would be very helpful! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    My main goals from all of this is too just look a bit more normal like any 18 year old guy and not look like a scarecrow!

ReputationRep:
    You'll probably fall in love with training and your goals might change.

ReputationRep:

RawJoh1 from when you started your programme it seems like you were in a similar position to me! Did you buy the starting strength book?

Also, would you be able to give me a quick breakdown of what you ate/eat daily when you were gaining the most weight? This would be very helpful! :yep:
    A proper gym shouldn't cost you much more than £20 and will have everything you need. Health clubs invariably cost more. My gym back in Notts is only £16, most people's uni gyms are even cheaper. What's your area?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    You'll probably fall in love with training and your goals might change.
    Maybe :p:

I'm reallly nervous about tomorrow- I shall be starting the training I think! I'm going to try and buy starting strength asap!

I think I'll go at 7am so I don't look silly with all the huge muscly people around me!
    What do you eat before/after training?

ReputationRep:

Aye, I have the book. The first edition is floating around online somewhere if you can't be arsed spending money, but Mark Rippetoe does really deserve your money.

When I was gaining the MOST weight I ate thus:

Breakfast:
    Beans on Toast, 4 rashers bacon. 2 pints full fat milk.

Mid morning snack:
    2 bananas. Handful of raisins.

Lunch:
    Cheese and pickle baguettes (lots of butter). 2 pints full fat milk.

Mid afternoon snack:
    Whey shake. Fruit.

Dinner:
    Generally a balanced meal. Lots of chicken, lots of spuds, mixed veg. 2 pints full fat milk.

Mid evening:
    Spag bol. 2 pints full fat milk.

I thought I was gaining too quick (fat) on that, and I couldn't be arsed with that much milk.

Now I just have 3 balanced meals and drink random milk throughout the day.

ReputationRep:
    A proper gym shouldn't cost you much more than £20 and will have everything you need. Health clubs invariably cost more. My gym back in Notts is only £16, most people's uni gyms are even cheaper. What's your area?
    I live in Market Harborough in the Midlands.

ReputationRep:
    I would go when the huge guys are there. You should get some people that do their squats to show you.

Do some youtube searches on Rippetoe squat technique. If you see some good squatters in your gym, ask for some help (just not in the middle of the set). By good I mean that they are going below parallel and not using the Smith machine.

By doing Starting Strength, you are AUTOMATICALLY better than most people at a conventional gym. Instantly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    Aye, I have the book. The first edition is floating around online somewhere if you can't be arsed spending money, but Mark Rippetoe does really deserve your money.

When I was gaining the MOST weight I ate thus:

Breakfast:
    Beans on Toast, 4 rashers bacon. 2 pints full fat milk.

Mid morning snack:
    2 bananas. Handful of raisins.

Lunch:
    Cheese and pickle baguettes (lots of butter). 2 pints full fat milk.

Mid afternoon snack:
    Whey shake. Fruit.

Dinner:
    Generally a balanced meal. Lots of chicken, lots of spuds, mixed veg. 2 pints full fat milk.

Mid evening:
    Spag bol. 2 pints full fat milk.

I thought I was gaining too quick (fat) on that, and I couldn't be arsed with that much milk.

Now I just have 3 balanced meals and drink random milk throughout the day.
    Thanks!

I hope my heart will be okay after all this food!

When you were very thin did you just lift very light weights?
    It must have been scary lifting weights for the first time!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.