Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting really depressed about my tiny weight and nothing seems to work :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, there are a lot of differing opinions on here. Everyone is convinced they have thr right answers. I'm not suggesting I necessarily do but I would say this. Six weeks ago I was in a very similar position to the thread starter. I'm only 5"7, but I weighed just 7st13. Six weeks later I now weigh 9st2lbs. So that is 17lbs in 6 weeks.

Firstly, you must increase your calories, so it's good you have already started that. You say you are on 4,000kcal a day, which sounds massive. After 1 week of that check how much weight you have gained. If it is less than 2lbs I would head back to the Dr as it could easily be a thyroid issue. About 1000kcal above what you need everyday should see you gain 2lbs a week as a rough equation.

Definitely start going to the gym doing an all body workout. Supplement with 3-5g of Creatine monohydrate per day which will give you more energy when working out. If you are working out every other day you'll need to eat about 100g of protein a day. Maybe 110g max. From the example you gave of your current diet, you may be getting more than enough already. More than that is just a waste.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marktitan)
    Hi guys

I joined TSR for some help basically

I am an 18 year old male and I am very underweight. I weight 132pounds/60kg/9 stone and am very tall- around 6 ft 2 I would say. I eat very well but haven't gained any weight in the past year! I've tried going to the gym but this failed aswell.

This makes me incredibly skinnny. It's not been much of a problem for me up until now when people have started to make comments and such. I have now committed myself the whole summer and the rest of this year to put on some weight and gain some muscle!

I just need some advice really. I have searched the forum thoroughly and looked at many websites and I just need to get going.

I have started to increase my calorie intake to about 4000 calories a day with 6 solid meals. Do you think supplements are a good idea?

I've also joined a different gym which have very good weight machines that target specific muscles. Should I use these or dumbells? I was thinking of reading starting strength but I'm not sure if it's what I want.

Thanks!
    I'm 6'1 and 9Stone, seriously not depressed, I eat like a horse too.

I got up to 10 stone pretty quickly after going to a gym for a month and a bit, you need to make sure your working out well, pushing your muscles, but at the same time giving them time to rest a recover.

I'm no fitness expert, but there are a fair few on the forums, but I'm just letting you know that I'm in the same boat, don't get frustrated by it though..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I would go when the huge guys are there. You should get some people that do their squats to show you.

Do some youtube searches on Rippetoe squat technique. If you see some good squatters in your gym, ask for some help (just not in the middle of the set). By good I mean that they are going below parallel and not using the Smith machine.

By doing Starting Strength, you are AUTOMATICALLY better than most people at a conventional gym. Instantly.
    I would go when they are there but I would just look pathetically silly besides them!

I literally look like a scarecrow!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe :p:

I'm reallly nervous about tomorrow- I shall be starting the training I think! I'm going to try and buy starting strength asap!

I think I'll go at 7am so I don't look silly with all the huge muscly people around me!
    What do you eat before/after training?
    No one cares how big you are either, I go with my sisters boy friend and his mate, both 5 years older then me, both can bench double what I do, that doesn't mean they laugh at me or anything, they're just as happy to spot for me, and to force me to do one more rep..

ReputationRep:
    I would go when they are there but I would just look pathetically silly besides them!

I literally look like a scarecrow!
    They really won't care. Especially if you're doing a respectable routine and doing the big lifts. By big I mean the exercise, not the weights.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

I hope my heart will be okay after all this food!

When you were very thin did you just lift very light weights?
    It must have been scary lifting weights for the first time!
    I lifted what I could (so yes, very light weights). Nobody in the gym cares what you're lifting - they know that everyone has to start somewhere. Provided you're lifting with proper form, and not doing anything dangerous/annoying they won't care if another skinny guy joins the gym.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    They really won't care. Especially if you're doing a respectable routine and doing the big lifts. By big I mean the exercise, not the weights.
    The videos on youtube look scary!

Do you know where I can buy starting strength?
    I can't find it anywhere

ReputationRep:
    Guys with this problem (like me) - don't you ever think your frame isn't mean to support a bit muscly weight? That's the conclusion I've come to.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Market Harborough in the Midlands.
    Hey mate, I'm from Market Harborough, and am in an almost identical scenario! I'm 6ft 4, and am 67kg (10st 8ish), but have gone up from 60kg from just before christmas, just slowly eating and gymming it

I'm assuming that you're using the Harborough leisure centre? If so, a few days ago I got some 20/20 membership ( http://www.harboroughleisurecentre.c...s/HAR_D_04.pdf ), it's good value!

Just keep at it, I feel much more confident already, although there's still plenty of room for improvement :p:

ReputationRep:

I can't find it anywhere
    here you go:
    http://www.aasgaardco.com/store/stor...on=show_detail

In the meantime, read this:
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reflexive)
    Guys with this problem (like me) - don't you ever think your frame isn't mean to support a bit muscly weight? That's the conclusion I've come to.
    I don't want to become that muscly- just want to gain a stone to look a bit more normal!

ReputationRep:

I can't find it anywhere
    You can also get it from Amazon but Mark makes less money through them. Email them before you order it as I think they want to know if it's an overseas shipment.

There are illegal free digital copies of both editions floating around on the internet. But, you'd be a pussy to not buy it.

In the mean time, just use the wiki page; but don't DEFINITELY get the book. The wiki is NOT a replacement for the book; but you can get by.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    here you go:

In the meantime, read this:
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki
    Beat me.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much everyone!

I'm looking forward to putting on weight and you've all given me a bit of confidence to actually start!
    I shall post updates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nj3591)
    Hey mate, I'm from Market Harborough, and am in an almost identical scenario! I'm 6ft 4, and am 67kg (10st 8ish), but have gone up from 60kg from just before christmas, just slowly eating and gymming it

I'm assuming that you're using the Harborough leisure centre? If so, a few days ago I got some 20/20 membership ( http://www.harboroughleisurecentre.c...s/HAR_D_04.pdf ), it's good value!

Just keep at it, I feel much more confident already, although there's still plenty of room for improvement :p:
    Thank you very much! :yep: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much everyone!

I'm looking forward to putting on weight and you've all given me a bit of confidence to actually start!
    I shall post updates
    Good luck.

You are going to love it, it will change your life for the better.

Start a log. :top:

ReputationRep:
    marktitan - how long have you been eating 4000kcal a day and have you put on any weight?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick Travis)
    marktitan - how long have you been eating 4000kcal a day and have you put on any weight?
    I only just started yesterday!

I shall keep track and see if I put on any weight. If not, I think a doctors visit is in order because I should put on at least a bit of weight @ 4000 calories a day!

I'm hoping I can gain a stone or two this time next year ready for university :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much! :yep: :woo:
    No probs

Where abouts in Harborough are you? Do you go Robert Smyth school? I probably know you, seeing as you're my age :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nj3591)
    No probs

Where abouts in Harborough are you? Do you go Robert Smyth school? I probably know you, seeing as you're my age :eek3:
    Lol nope I don't go to Robert Smyth I go to school in Leicester.
    Basically I live here for 4 days a week and then I go to my dads who lives in Leicestershire

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.