Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting really depressed about my tiny weight and nothing seems to work :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovefatchicks)
    4000 calories is loads you twit. Eating 4000kcal a day should allow an active person to make gains of at least 2 pounds a week as 3500kcal is equal to 1 pound of body weight
    Ban FTW!

EDIT: Swearing...

ReputationRep:
    why do people always push starting strength? the program followed is the least important component. correct your diet and lift heavy stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by made_of_fail)
    why do people always push starting strength? the program followed is the least important component. correct your diet and lift heavy stuff
    Because it's simple and effective. Not even the most OCD BB.com reader can mess it up. In case you didn't notice, lifting heavy stuff is a pretty important component of SS.

ReputationRep:
    perhaps tou have an over active thyroid, perhaps some medication to slow it down.

ReputationRep:
    Hyperthyroidism is more than just being skinny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marktitan)
    Hi guys

I joined TSR for some help basically

I am an 18 year old male and I am very underweight. I weight 132pounds/60kg/9 stone and am very tall- around 6 ft 2 I would say. I eat very well but haven't gained any weight in the past year! I've tried going to the gym but this failed aswell.

This makes me incredibly skinnny. It's not been much of a problem for me up until now when people have started to make comments and such. I have now committed myself the whole summer and the rest of this year to put on some weight and gain some muscle!

I just need some advice really. I have searched the forum thoroughly and looked at many websites and I just need to get going.

I have started to increase my calorie intake to about 4000 calories a day with 6 solid meals. Do you think supplements are a good idea?

I've also joined a different gym which have very good weight machines that target specific muscles. Should I use these or dumbells? I was thinking of reading starting strength but I'm not sure if it's what I want.

Thanks!
    wow

try eating ********* of fairly fatty foods which are also high in protein, to help you build muscle. I'm thinking whole packets of sausages, beefburgers, beef mince, gammon steak, etc. Try eating things like chips and cake as well - fatty but hey, thats what you want right?

Also maybe try GOMAD - drinking a gallon of milk a day?

Starting strength is good - tried and tested. I'm on it now and making good gains, although admittedly I have no problem putting weight on and am only 5'7" so its probably more visible.

Oh and I guess avoid cardio or anything else which would burn calories.

I've spent the last few months trying to get bigger - gone from 55kg to 72 in around 4 months, pretty happy.
    Good luck mate

Edit: if 4000 calories isnt working, try 5000?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8 is enough)
    wow

try eating ********* of fairly fatty foods which are also high in protein, to help you build muscle. I'm thinking whole packets of sausages, beefburgers, beef mince, gammon steak, etc. Try eating things like chips and cake as well - fatty but hey, thats what you want right?

Also maybe try GOMAD - drinking a gallon of milk a day?

Starting strength is good - tried and tested. I'm on it now and making good gains, although admittedly I have no problem putting weight on and am only 5'7" so its probably more visible.

Oh and I guess avoid cardio or anything else which would burn calories.

I've spent the last few months trying to get bigger - gone from 55kg to 72 in around 4 months, pretty happy.
    Good luck mate

Edit: if 4000 calories isnt working, try 5000?
    Not exactly the best advice for healthy weight gain, a ton of saturated fat is never a good thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Not exactly the best advice for healthy weight gain, a ton of saturated fat is never a good thing!
    true, but its a pretty quick (and tasty) way to put on much need weight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    You're not saying burgers are bad, are you? :confused:

Anyway, youth is on his side. Sat fat isn't going to be a massive problem so long as it's not a permanent lifestyle. Whole milks got plenty too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    You're not saying burgers are bad, are you?

Anyway, youth is on his side. Sat fat isn't going to be a massive problem so long as it's not a permanent lifestyle. Whole milks got plenty too.
    Really expensive ones are good and I treat myself to them every couple of weeks.

Whole milk doesn't really have much, 2g per 100g vs Sausage which has around 11g Saturated per 100g (and trans fat too) and beef burgers which have around 7g sat fat, both are also high in salt content

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    You're not saying burgers are bad, are you? :confused:

Hrm yes I was told burgers are fine as long as they are quality burgers (i.e not mcdonalds all the time).

anyway guys an update:

this is my second day on the 4000kcal diet and I'm going to the gym tomorrow for my first day. Order starting strength book aswell!

Today so far I've eaten/drank:

Bowl of cereal with full fat milk
    2 glasses full fat milk
    2 slices of toast with eggs on top

Handful of raisins
    Bowl of grapes,strawberries and bananas sliced
    Another glass of milk
    Cereal bar
    1 small sandwich with ham,lettuce,mayo.

It's extremely hard to stomach all this but weight gain is keeping me motivated. I seem to have put on 2lbs already!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    4000kcal isn't that much; not for a heavy bulk. I want to know how long he's been eating 4000kcal too.

4000kcal is loads at 9 stone and 6'2". Absolutely plenty. But before we reopen this age old argument of eat m0ar, I want to see his diet because I dont believe he can eat 4000 kcal and stay at that weight, unless:

1) he has a tapeworm
    2) his thyroids are the size of grapefruits
    or 3) He's only started on 4000kcal like a day ago
    or 4) He's not actually easting 4000kcal.

I'd go with the 4th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    They really won't care. Especially if you're doing a respectable routine and doing the big lifts. By big I mean the exercise, not the weights.
    ^ This.

When I was squatting @ 140lbs BW this massive bench'n'curler came up to me and asked me (almost in awe) if I was training to be an olympic weightlifter :rofl: lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
    4000kcal is loads at 9 stone and 6'2". Absolutely plenty. But before we reopen this age old argument of eat m0ar, I want to see his diet because I dont believe he can eat 4000 kcal and stay at that weight, unless:

1) he has a tapeworm

I'd go with the 4th.
    He only just started eating 4000kcal.

I didn't necessarily mean that 4000kcal isn't a lot for him; I just mean it's not a ridiculous amount in general. It may be too much for some (fat gain blah blah), but trust me; I've seen eating. Just that 4000kcal isn't a shocking amount; it's a fair good amount, but not shocking.

ReputationRep:

1) he has a tapeworm

I'd go with the 4th.
    I go with 3.
    I only started yesterday and since I seem to have to put on 2 lbs

It's a massive struggle though, I feel very sick at the moment

In hindsight, after eating so much yesterday, It feels like I hardly used to eat anything, 3 lightish meals (nevertheless solid) a day and then I felt full. Probably why I didn't gain anything.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's not a shocking amount. Anyone with a few years lifting experience whose made gains year after year and is really lifting big (lmao can you tell I'm avoiding "big and strong" lulz) will be easily taking in excess of 4000. Easily. But for this guy, 4000 is gonna be absolutely loads, and if he's only just started then that explains it.

OP you need to man up, stick at your 4000 for the long term and lift some heavy ****. One day does NOTHING. One week does NOTHING. Think in 6 month/yearly milestones.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's not a shocking amount. Anyone with a few years lifting experience whose made gains year after year and is really lifting big (lmao can you tell I'm avoiding "big and strong" lulz) will be easily taking in excess of 4000. Easily. But for this guy, 4000 is gonna be absolutely loads, and if he's only just started then that explains it.

OP you need to man up, stick at your 4000 for the long term and lift some heavy ****. One day does NOTHING. One week does NOTHING. Think in 6 month/yearly milestones.
    Yes I realised that.

What you've got to realise is that I can't start lifting heavy heavy weights just yet! Think about it- I'm 6ft2 and weigh 9 stones- I'm very scrawny and would probably find it very difficult to lift much at the moment.
    I need to build on it. Telling me to man up and start lifting heavy isn't helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Eating definitely gets easier. What sucks is trying not to eat that much. I've stopped training for resits and I'm ******* hungry.

It's not uncommon to gain a ridiculous amount in the first few weeks, as you're physically holding more food and water too. The extra food early on will help deal with the ass-kicking pain you're going to be feeling for the first few weeks. The pain will fade a little and you will likely be able to survive on fewer calories.

Big and Strong FTW!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marktitan)
    Yes I realised that.

What you've got to realise is that I can't start lifting heavy heavy weights just yet! Think about it- I'm 6ft2 and weigh 9 stones- I'm very scrawny and would probably find it very difficult to lift much at the moment.
    I need to build on it. Telling me to man up and start lifting heavy isn't helpful.
    He means heavy FOR YOU! Meaning, you should be doing hard ******* work. It doesn't matter what the numbers are, it matters how hard YOU are working.

And probably he means man up with regards to feeling slightly sick from the food.

ReputationRep:
    Put on 45lb by eating ridiculous amounts of food (5 meals a day) and drinking 2.5L whole milk.

The milk and overly excess cals will make you fat even as an ecto.

I'm lean as hell right now but still gaining weight by just eating slightly over BMR, nowhere near how much I used to eat and I struggled to put on weight then.

I think maybe if you stuff your face with crap loads of food it increases your metabolism causing you to eat even more. I mean I used to poop thrice a day!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.